18 workers Endangered by Deadly Levels of Carbon Monoxide Gas
Springfield, MO (WorkersCompensation.com) - A total of 18 workers were hospitalized after exposure to deadly carbon monoxide gas levels of up to 6.71 times the permissible limit, U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration inspectors found.
OSHA investigators determined that JRI Holdings Inc. employees in November 2014 were testing a commercial industrial parts washer powered by two natural gas heaters. Employees were working inside a building with its doors closed because of cold temperatures, which limited ventilation.
JRI Holdings was cited by OSHA for one willful and three serious safety violations for failing to provide respiratory protection, monitoring and to ventilate the work site adequately. Proposed penalties total $70,700. "Carbon monoxide is a silent killer because it's odorless, tasteless and invisible," said Barbara Theriot, OSHA's area director in Kansas City, Missouri. "Overexposure can cause headaches, vomiting and death. Companies using heaters and other products that produce this deadly gas must make sure spaces are well-ventilated and that workers use protective equipment and monitor for exposure."
Blood samples indicated that workers were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide on the job site, resulting in a willful violation.
OSHA inspectors also cited JRI Holdings for one serious safety violation for exposing workers to fall hazards because open-sided platforms lacked guardrails. The company also failed to determine if hazardous conditions existed and to provide personal protective equipment.
The Springfield-based company manufactures industrial parts for washers. The company has 15 business days from receipt of its citations to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA's area director in Kansas City, or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
Be the first person to comment!
You must Login or Register in order to read and make comments!