Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settlement help
Hello,
I live in California and injured my knee at work in july of last year(07/09). I have since had surgery, which left me with only 40% of my meniscus still en-tacked. I have completed physical therapy and now cleared to go back to work. My doctor advised me not to allow a standard compromise and release but rather, make sure that there is stipulation for further medical coverage. He also mentioned a possible settlement of which I should get money. Do I take this up with the insurance company or my employer? In the time that I have been off of work, I moved and will no longer be working for the company. Will this interfere with my settlement? If I do get a settlement for my knee, how much should I expect? Is there anything else I should know, seeing how I can't afford a lawyer and will have to do this my self? any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Gabe

it depends on whether your employer is self-insured or has purchased a work comp insurance policy.
if they have a carrier then the carrier provides all benefits including settlements.
changing employments won't stop your right to additional benefits or settlement of them.
you should expect the correct amount for your disability rating.
more information (especially fact sheet D)
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/iwguides.html

P.S. there are no upfront fees for a lawyer; their fee will be deducted from the settlement. however they will likely recommend a total buyout rather then a stipulation.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.