Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoulder question and TTD before having surgery???
Sorry if I seem to be asking a lot of questions. I'm really struggling right now. Injured 07/09 NV, worked without restrictions up until 2 weeks ago when I went to ortho and requested them. I have six weeks until my surgery and I am really having a tough time.

My questions are..

Have any of you been off work completely from date of injury for a shoulder? Would it be unreasonable or looked down upon if I asked the doctor to take me off work?

I have been experiencing increasing pain, additional pain in other areas (neck and forearm) and severe sleep deprivation due to the pain. Ortho did give me ambien a couple weeks ago to help but it doesn't do a thing. I can't function during the day, I just hurt and am sooooo tired all the time. Today I called work and told them I'd be late (had to try to get just a little more sleep), went in an hour and a half late and then only made it through an hour of work before I had to leave. I'm thinking of asking the doc to just take me off work (if he will) because of all this and, I believe my employer could fire me for attendance. I certainly would rather work and get full pay but something is better than nothing, right? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Toungue 
Smile I saw my doctor the next morning after total rotator cuff tear.
Took me off work for 1 week and then reevaluated me.
He asked if I thought I could work, I said no, and we set up for Ortho & MRI. I was off work d/t severity of injury. Ask the doctor his opinion about working, doctors like to give their opinion. Just make sure he gives you something in writing for your employer. He just may write no work til after surgery. This should cover you, Bernie
L shoulder torn 3.5" R shoulder damaged. Heart damage, carpal tunnel (L&R) cataplexy/narcolepsy, arthritis, hypoglycemic. +. Bernie

it doesn't have to be all or nothing; what about light work or reduced work?
http://dirweb.state.nv.us/Forms/d-2.pdf
you should discuss some options with your doctor and employer.

you should also be aware that FMLA only protects your job for 12 weeks and you may need most of the time after the surgery.
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

keep asking questions; it's the only way to take control of the situation.
you need to know your options in order to make the best decisions.

learn more about work comp for Nevada workers
http://dirweb.state.nv.us/WCS/employee.htm
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

i think its a really good idea i mean if you cant function your putting yourself in a situation to where your risking getting hurt again or reinjuring yourself..goodluck hope all goes well
SETTLED!!!

Thank you all for the responses. I'm calling in the morning, hopefully they can get me in soon. Sorry to hear how much you have been through with your shoulder Bernie. I just hope I don't end up in the same boat!

1171 Thanks for the links, very helpful. As it stands I'm already out 2 of the twelve weeks due to an unrelated issue. I have been on restrictions officially for a couple of weeks and I'm still having a difficult time. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but when the lack of sleep gets thrown into the mix, I spiral downward fast. I could possibly try half days, I'll ask about that, thanks.

Inpainokla, thanks for your input as well, I am already feeling pain in new places from over-compensating, just trying to hold on til surgery time :-)

Thanks again, this sight is always very helpful!

Hi NVWORKER>.....I was out of work from DOI until I retired 3 years later...I did have other injuries but they were not first injuries.....for example my lumbar was my 3rd.....I didn't have my shoulder surgery for over a year after I was injured.....I couldn't work..the pain was horrible.....I think maybe while you were working you just didn't realize how much pain you were in and now you can really feel it since you're a little more relaxed and taking the time you need.... I always throw in that I knew I would retire so tha tamount of time off or the FMLA wasn't a biggie to me.....my employer paid my health insurance for me and my husband throughout my claim.....I didn't pick up the bill until i officially retired.....I needed you to know that because it makes adifference in how you look at your job.....as 1171 has shown..there are different options......

Never worry about asking and asking....it's how we ahve all learned....I settled my claim and still ask and ask....Wink

Well, called the doc today, no appt avail until end of April:-( asked about what we could do and they said they would not take me off work but will add to my restrictions. Not sure what else they can add, I'm already on no lifting, pushing or pulling with injured arm. Called attorney and he said, " you are so close to surgery, just do your best to suck it up". Have these people never been injured in their life???

I guess I just have to do the best I can and hope they don't fire me before the surgery. It's really amazing how WC changes things. Before my injury I was never concerned about losing my job, praised regularly at work etc... now I feel as though I am constantly looking over my shoulder (no pun intended Wink) waiting for the other shoe to drop! WOW has this opened my eyes! Can't say you didn't warn me Sad

Have a good day everyone and thanks again for all the help.

Toungue 
:shy: Ortho visits usually take forever to get. In my case the surgeon had little to say until I had the surgery, It was my PCP
who decided if and when I was able to work. Did you speak to both of your doctors? Hope this helps. Bernie
L shoulder torn 3.5" R shoulder damaged. Heart damage, carpal tunnel (L&R) cataplexy/narcolepsy, arthritis, hypoglycemic. +. Bernie

Bernie57 Wrote::shy: Ortho visits usually take forever to get. In my case the surgeon had little to say until I had the surgery, It was my PCP
who decided if and when I was able to work. Did you speak to both of your doctors? Hope this helps. Bernie

My NCM transferred my care to the ortho after he requested surgery, he is my PCP Sad would have been a great idea though, thanks! Wink

Nv- I would take you attourny and dr's advice. You only get 12 weeks of FMLA. If your employer has lite duty for you take it until surgery. I was off pretty much from my date of injury, and after the first surgery failed I had to wait for 2 months to get the fusion approved. This counted against my FMLA. By august I was released from employment by the hospital where I worked. I had no more FMLA left. This left me with no job or benifits, and on 2/3rds of my previous wages I couldn't afford the COBRA insurance if I wanted to keep our house and car. If I would have been able to do some kind of lite duty work I would have jumped at it and worked through the pain, just to be able to keep my benifits and my job. I think your lawyer is not unfeeling or uncaring, but just trying to help you out in the long run. Good Luck with everything.

Kit
6/97--Discectomy L5-S1. 3/09--Discectomy L5-S1 (failed). 6/09--spinal fusion L5-S1. This year who knows?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shoulder surgery CANurse 3 391 04-28-2019, 01:08 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Shoulder surgery Pythonbunny 14 10,363 10-31-2014, 12:01 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Post Surgery Question darrinb 7 5,585 11-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Last Post: darrinb
  ACDF AND SHOULDER SURGERY NevadaCervical 4567 4 8,798 01-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Last Post: NevadaCervical 4567
  Shoulder Surgery on WC CALIF Debbysue64 8 11,831 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Last Post: LeglEgl
  second shoulder surgery with new c6 c7 fusion Mseries 4 6,941 08-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Shoulder Injury Surgery denied 4104ever 5 16,322 07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Last Post: kate
  Need answers neck surgery question Samsmom 13 21,829 05-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: jayne
  A question about cervical surgery & lucency Bummer Knees 4 14,560 03-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Cervical_Fusion
  Nerve block for shoulder surgery? NVworker 6 36,834 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Last Post: leazdad