Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Med Question
I know there is a lot of knowledgeable people here that know a bit about meds...

About a 1 1/2 years ago I used to be on Oxycodone 10mg er.
Which at the time seem to work well with taking the edge off a bit. Well I'm on vicodin and cant seem to get pain levels down under 5-6. So my DR put me back on Oxycodone 10mg IR to see if it will work for me more then the 5-500 vicodin..

My question is with the Oxy 10mg er verses the oxy 10mg ir, how do they compare.. I know one is extended and other is immediate release, will the immediate be stronger for I'm getting the full dose at once...?
And I know meds treat people differently but I take 2 5-500 vicodin so is the oxy 10mg strength wise compareable.?

Bronco...my husband takes the oxi 10/325 ER ....Yes with the IR you would be getting all at once.

Vicoprofin is also a worker. The Ibuprofin brings down inflamation and the obviously the Vicodin for pain.

OxyER, also called OxyContin gives you the same blood level as OxyIR but releases the drug at a slower rate to acheive that blood level. So it's the same. The benefit of ER is the little to no impairment due to rapid release of narcotic to the brain PLUS the fact that it lasts for 12 hours. There would be no medial reason to also take Vicodin as it is about 1/10 pain reliever Oxycodone is but there a number of medical reasons why that is a bad idea, real bad.

bronco54501 Wrote:I know there is a lot of knowledgeable people here that know a bit about meds...

Which at the time seem to work well with taking the edge off a bit. Well I'm on vicodin and cant seem to get pain levels down under 5-6. So my DR put me back on Oxycodone 10mg IR to see if it will work for me more then the 5-500 vicodin..

My question is with the Oxy 10mg er verses the oxy 10mg ir, how do they compare.. I know one is extended and other is immediate release, will the immediate be stronger for I'm getting the full dose at once...?
And I know meds treat people differently but I take 2 5-500 vicodin so is the oxy 10mg strength wise compareable.?

Thanks for the info gang..

So I get this right, Oxy ir is almost 10 times stronger then vicodin even at 10 mg?

I had my vicodin refilled last week and my oxy was just called in yesterday. I have not personaly talked to my DR so maybe Im not supposed to continue with the vicodin... I will be checking on that in the morning.... But for instance why would it be bad to take both.?
When I was released from hospitol they had me on 2 vicodin 5-500 every 4 hours and 1 oxycodone 20mg every 12 hours.?

Cycler Wrote:OxyER, also called OxyContin gives you the same blood level as OxyIR but releases the drug at a slower rate to acheive that blood level. So it's the same. The benefit of ER is the little to no impairment due to rapid release of narcotic to the brain PLUS the fact that it lasts for 12 hours. There would be no medial reason to also take Vicodin as it is about 1/10 pain reliever Oxycodone is but there a number of medical reasons why that is a bad idea, real bad.

bronco54501 Wrote:I know there is a lot of knowledgeable people here that know a bit about meds...

Why would you want to take both ? the vicodin isnt doing anything except hurtin your liver with all that tylenlol.

Cycler Wrote:Why would you want to take both ? the vicodin isnt doing anything except hurtin your liver with all that tylenlol.

Its not that I want to take it, thats what the dr wrote the scripts for before.. They had me on both before and never once said anything about being bad for me... The vicodin used to help me but I think my body is used to it and is not helping like at first.. I asked him to put me back on the oxy for when I was on it before I got good relief...

like spitting in the ocean.

if one is instant release and one extended realese i wouldnt see a problem with it thats what i take opana er and dilaudid ir and it works well
SETTLED!!!

Your dosage of Vicodin OF 5/500 was for breakthru pain.
That is a weak dose of Vicodin. They make 10/500 which I take 4-5 a day for breakthru pain.
I wear Fentanyl patch also and use the Vicodin with this.

Liver damage becames a issue when you consume over 4000 mg a day of tylenol(acetaminophen) is 4000 mg a day. That would be 8 of the 5/500. This is what the experts say. Google it.