Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disability Approval
Hello wise members of the forum, I am in Michigan and have been fighting W/C since Feb 2009, my court date is March 23rd and I just got a call from SSDI and got approved! I also just got a letter from W/C insurance co. requesting an IME on 3/16. Will the approval of SSDI help or hinder my W/C case? The IME is my 3rd in the last 12 months. I am recovering from Fusion surgery that happened on Aug. 09 and therapy seems to make things worse. I had an MRI last week and said there is some epidural fibrosis and disc material causing problems at L45 and L5S1 nerve roots. I feel that I will not get any better and I am against any more surgeries. Any helpful suggestions?
You all have been great and may god bless all!!
Thank you all your help in the past.
L4 - S1 Fusion with L3-4 Herniations and disc material on the L5 nerve root left and right.

Social Security has nothing to do with your work cop claim at all. In fact their 2 different laws and rules. But when settlement times do come, they both will matter as a medical set aside may need to be in place for future medical. That is the only time the two need to come together.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Social Security has nothing to do with your work cop claim at all. In fact their 2 different laws and rules. But when settlement times do come, they both will matter as a medical set aside may need to be in place for future medical. That is the only time the two need to come together.

Thanks BB
L4 - S1 Fusion with L3-4 Herniations and disc material on the L5 nerve root left and right.

congrats gatekeeper thats great news
SETTLED!!!

inpainokla Wrote:congrats gatekeeper thats great news

Thanks, hope your back still feels good

I'm sure You have been told that Epidural Fibrosis is Scar Tissue. I had a Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy in 1/05, and Half of My Disc was Removed at L5/S1. On My Right Side, from the Severeness of My Injury My S1 Nerve Root was Actually Crushed by Disc Material. Scar Tissue Filled where They took the Half of Disc from My Spine, it attached to My S1 Nerve, and Wrapped itself around the Crushed S1 Nerve Root, so it will Never Heal. Since then I have had to Deal with Retrolethesis, Added Scar Tissue Growth, and the Domino Effect. I'm Inoperable and Totally Disabled. I have been on SSDI for about 4Years, and as far as the Law is Concerned, the 2, (W/C Decisions and SSDI) are not Supposed to be Considered as far as a Judges Decision Goes. That's what the Law States, and Hopefully Your Judge will Follow That. Some Judges though Think that since a Person is Getting SSDI, it's not as Important to get a Quick Decision because Money is Coming in. That Info. is just from My Attorney's Experience. I Wish You the Very Best, and I Hope All Goes Well for You!!Wink

Still in Limbo Wrote:I'm sure You have been told that Epidural Fibrosis is Scar Tissue. I had a Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy in 1/05, and Half of My Disc was Removed at L5/S1. On My Right Side, from the Severeness of My Injury My S1 Nerve Root was Actually Crushed by Disc Material. Scar Tissue Filled where They took the Half of Disc from My Spine, it attached to My S1 Nerve, and Wrapped itself around the Crushed S1 Nerve Root, so it will Never Heal. Since then I have had to Deal with Retrolethesis, Added Scar Tissue Growth, and the Domino Effect. I'm Inoperable and Totally Disabled. I have been on SSDI for about 4Years, and as far as the Law is Concerned, the 2, (W/C Decisions and SSDI) are not Supposed to be Considered as far as a Judges Decision Goes. That's what the Law States, and Hopefully Your Judge will Follow That. Some Judges though Think that since a Person is Getting SSDI, it's not as Important to get a Quick Decision because Money is Coming in. That Info. is just from My Attorney's Experience. I Wish You the Very Best, and I Hope All Goes Well for You!!Wink

Thanks Limbo, my disc material from l4-5 and l5s1 is in my foramen and contacting my l5 nerve root. I also have L 3-4 disc compressed and bulging going to see surgeon next week to see what he has to say about all this. My attorney says that since I have been approved that W/C insurance will not offer me as much to settle as they would if I was not on SSDI but I feel that should not have any thing to do with the fact that I injured myself at work and now can not work for the rest of my life as a mechanic or anything else for that matter. No more motorcycle no more bowling , no more golf, that is very depressing and they don't give a damn about any of that. I lost my savings, alot of my 401k, my house and one of our cars just to pay utilities and eat. I/C rep is a bitch and only cares about how much she can scrw us. They will all be dealt with on judgement day!!

Thanks, and sorry for venting but things will get better soon I hope.

SSDI had no effect on my wc claim, other than the offset when I was receiving temperary income benifits.

I understand not wanting another surgery, but I am concerned about the disc material pressing on the nerve. I my case, it took three surgeries top remove all of the disc fragments that were in my back. (My L5-S1 disc shattered). If your in the same position, then you need to know that those fragments can shift and move around in your back.

If the scar tissue is minimal. It may be able to be handled with an injection ( epedural Percatanious lysist ). I am sure I spelled that wrong, but if you want I can look up the correct spelling latter.

Now back to what you wanted to know. BB and STILL are correct.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Hi,

Congrats on your SSDI approval !
Some people have a very long fight for this.

Lilly
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

As Lilly said,
Congrats on getting SSDI. That is one less headache you need to deal with. Although it is said that WC and SSDI do not effect each other I can tell you at least for me that my WC IC has backed off my IME's and they even canceled my last WC hearing to reduce my WC weekly payouts.
May very well be coincidence but I'm happy

Hope I'm not jinxing myself Sad
Best of luck to you
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can SSDI approval help with Comp case? footballfan 24 6,316 07-24-2018, 07:39 PM
Last Post: goingback
  C&R with MSA needs CMS approval before WCAB approves? Seeking Help 5 3,270 02-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Shadow
  Scheduled award payment approval question. nelenz15 3 2,628 04-04-2017, 12:35 AM
Last Post: 1171
  how long for wc approval for vertebroplasty been waiting one week tiredawaitin 5 5,936 12-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Last Post: LeglEgl
  How long does it take to get approval from IC for a injection ca/wa what next 1 3,733 12-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Last Post: 1171
  SSD approval...depressed and confused~ sonny1 13 13,997 11-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Last Post: nursedina
  Approval Tethys2010 0 3,082 04-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Tethys2010
Question wc insurer approval delay twinkletoes 4 5,498 10-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Last Post: twinkletoes
  Surgery and Worker's Compensation Approval chicagoHdiscs 11 24,921 10-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Last Post: twinkletoes
Question Received approval letter from W/C ????? cmitoy1 4 6,249 09-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Last Post: sparkey