Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never Noticed before Until This Friday!
Rolleyes 
My new Attorney asked for my 2008 W2, My husband faxed it to him on wed.
Friday: I received 2009 W2, I was going over it and noticed they have me down as a, Cashier, Line Attendant, Greeter, Service Assistant.
That made me wonder so I looked at my 2008: Cashier, Pantry, Greeter, Service Assistant.
I know in 2008 I worked a couple of hours as a Greeter, I have never worked in the Pantry, in the 9 months I worked, from 6-18-08 to 3-29-09 injury 3-25-09, I also never worked as a Line Attendant.
I worked as a Cashier/Server.
I also noticed for 2008 & 2009 on my check stubs my employer has my rate at $2.00 a hour on my declared Tips as a server, My General Manager told me when I started working as a server that by-law I had to claim $5.00 a hour, so if I worked 5 hours I claimed $25.00, Now I'm worried, I asked my husband to fax the letter to my attorney with my 2009 W2, I don't know what else to do, I live in CA. Thanks ahead of time and have a nice day.
Life is like the ocean, it can be calm one minute and the next a wave will knock you off your feet, it's up to you to get back up and take control.

1171 what is the rate to claim when you collect tips in Ca. BY LAW?
Life is like the ocean, it can be calm one minute and the next a wave will knock you off your feet, it's up to you to get back up and take control.

Rolleyes 
I am in no way looking for legal advice just opinions if this was you, thanks for your time, stephBig Grin

when I waited tables we were supposed to claim it all......but our Boss didnt like that cuz on slow days he had to make up the differebce in what we made and minuim wage so we were told to claim the amount needed to make minuim wage on the last day of the week we were supposed to claim any extra that we might have made above that amount
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Days I worked as server and around what i made:
Tues worked 4 hours: Least amount-$20.00, most-$65.00
Fri: worked 7 to 8 hrs: Least-$120.00, most-$160.00
Sun:5hrs" least-$140.00, most-180.00
these are approximates
I made good tips with my out going personality, Smile, friendlyness, made sure customer was injoying there selfs, people would ask me if i just got out of high school because i was so prompt and swift, I loved making people feel at home, to me it wasn't just a job but an extention of my family, I know this is hard for sum to believe but u might of really liked me before this all happened no frowns, turn it up side down.. I don't know how to prove this since i claimed 5.00 a hour per GM INSTRUCTIONS

I was looking in Department of Industrial Relations on tips, MY EMPLOYER on my W2 they say my tips rate was $2.00 a nour, i claimed 5.00 a nour, that means they took the other $3.00 a Hour i guess i'm gonna call my attorney or write him and fax him what i have put on here, i don't know if I'll get in trouble but it's the truth and I will accept what ever comes

Not sure what your GM was talking about. "By law" you are supposed to declare what you earn.

I don't know how they do it now, but several years ago the IRS used 8% of a servers sales to gauge what their income was from gratuities. We all know that much of what a server earns remains undeclared and untaxed. The downside of that is when that person needs to collect unemployment or WC, and their real wages are vastly under represented. It can be a two edge sword.

Didn't you have to fill out paperwork decalring your tips?

Ace25 the answer to that is no as I explained my GM told me by law to claim $5.00 a hour, look if you thought i was getting away with something i wasn't some people really are honest and enjoy working and maybe a clean aholic like i was, pluss enjoy cooking, sum peple are nieve like me sorry to burst your bubble!

Ace I'm sorry but I grew up in Roy Utah, I have manners, a big heart, and was always taught if you need to think if something is right or wrong the answer is wrong because if you have to ask yourself, you already know you just trying to talk yourself into doing the wrong thing. If you met my daughters or myself you would see that, oldest daughter 17, middle 15. youngest 13 will be 14 next month they are my miracle for I was told I wasn't going to be able to have kids. I hope you forgive me but not everyone does things on purpose. I believed my GM, why would I think he was lyeing to me? I had no reason also I had direct deposit so I never looked at my check stubs I hope this explains a little bit to ya

Huh? I think you took my post the wrong way. I did indeed mean to say your GM is full of BS, because legally he should only advise his employees to declare full income.

I don't care if you declared full income or not. I've been a server, and I know how hard it is, and people in that job work hard for their money. And the government targets people in your position because you are "easy pickins", you generally don't have the resources to fight.

This does not change the fact of my prior statement that "by law", you are supposed to declare all income. if you don't believe me ask the IRS.

Sorry if I offended you. Not my intent. I meant to offend your idiot GM.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is a good Friday the 13th, my new job bodybuilder1958 7 4,548 07-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Last Post: monster1963
  Friday the 13th Bummer Knees 4 3,260 04-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Bodybuider's surgery Friday, prayers for her Bummer Knees 0 1,654 10-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Surgery, Rt knee this Friday bodybuilder1958 3 2,975 10-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Black Friday shopping, how did it go? Manley2 6 5,381 11-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Last Post: hurt at work
  Been off line due to Friday's tornado Bummer Knees 10 7,966 05-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Last Post: vickinat
  Look Out Everybody It's Friday The 13th!!!!!! Jazzi 20 9,039 06-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Last Post: backache
  Free McSkillet Breakfast Burritos Friday morning monster 2 2,528 02-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  Fed EX cup commercial teleconference friday morning CRABBY 1 2,335 02-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Last Post: CRABBY