Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
well, I guess it's happened "Addiction"
More often than not overmedication and drug drug interactions are the culprits in change of mental status as any nursing home nurse can tell you.

I guess I am fortunate or lucky. Maybe both. My cocktail of a Fentanyl patch, Hydrocodone, celebrex, lyrica and Ambien have little side effects on me 3 years into this cocktail.

Am I addicted to some of these drugs? Probably BUT to me it is not a choice for a little quality of life.

My biggest side effect at times is constipation. If I watch my diet, I can control this. A good bran cereal works wonders.

I do tire out easier but do know my limitations. If I could have quality of life, I would detox and never take a pill the reat of my life. The wreck in 2003 settled that issue for me.

YOU ARE not addicted, physically dependent but not addicted at also prove the point that opiates in long acting form are not particularly impairing, only the short acting ones.

Red, that is just it, as anti depressant and anti anxiety meds can conflict with each other. Or as I was told. Strange as I took Baclofen because my legs would get all wild at night time when trying to sleep. And it did work well for me.

Clonazepam is a med most reccomended for RLS over Miraprex by many of doctor's, due to the nature of side affects from Miraprex.

I remember a long time ago, my wife was seeing this doctor. Everytime she went, she come home with another script to add to her list of meds. Well, one day she another appointment, I gathered all the meds she took. Placed them in line on the counter before the doctor came in. Doctor comes in, and said what is all this. I said this is what you keep prescribing my wife, and it needs to be stoped and fixed right now. The doctor dumped all the meds. And wrote new scripts for what she truly needed. She was so over medicated, she needed meds to sleep, meds to get moving in the morning, meds during the day to keep her going. It was just crazy.

Red, I told you about my good friend with MS. Progessive MS. He does not take meds. That is unless he truly has to, and that 1 single pill will mess him up, like a major drunk, and that he only takes in an emergency, and when knowing he will be home for a long time. The other is a once a week injection. And that is it.

Might be a wise move to discuss all these medications with your doctor. Sure does seem like a lot of meds doesn't it?
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Cycler Wrote:YOU ARE not addicted, physically dependent but not addicted at also prove the point that opiates in long acting form are not particularly impairing, only the short acting ones.

All I can judge is myself and my physical/mental state. I do not trust all the opinions on the Internet when it comes to prescription drugs or how a particular car is rated.

I want to take as ittle as possible to give me quality of life.

Anyway..... good thread.

cycler...this may surprise you but before and after my Navy days, I was a director of Nursing in several nursing homes. In NJ I was sort of the clean up person...went in used my skills to help them remove their immediate jeopardy and then once moving a year without any deficiencies moved on to another building.. whereever my head hunter would place me.... strange..but that seems so very long ago... last day to work was May 24, 2005... Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Are you saying you feel impaired on the meds ? Hydrocodone will certainly do that as it is a short acting drug which should NOT be taken on a regular basis when you are already using the Fentanyl patch. Only as a rescue dose.

THis may not apply to you but is soooo commonplace that it must apply to someone here so going to write it as an as an FYI.

There is a currently a teaching objective going on in the pain literature in response to what is being described as the over-prescribing of America, referring to narcotics, the biggest cost increase in workers comp over the last 15 years.

Articles are being written for physicians to educate them that chronic pain best practices, ( and legally safest ) does include and encourage opiates when indicated in long acting, sustained release form in addition to what are called adjvent medications such as the Cymabalta's, gabapentins,etc. and sparing use of anti-depressents since there is no medical evidence they work for most of the conditions they are being prescribed for, another matter altogether. The articles are politely condemning the widespread practice of prescribing a hundred or two hundred short acting opiates written for "every 4 hours as needed" due to the fact that patients then take al of them, one very four hours as the Dr. prescribed, when they are supposed to be used as a rescue dose, maybe 3-4 times per week IF, and that is the key word, the baseline long acting opiate dose is sufficient to actually treat the pain.

The point of the articles and editorials to prescribing physicians is that if all of the short acting meds are gone by the end of the month and are being taken three to four times per day then you add that converted opiate equivalent to the long acting as THAT is the patients opiate requirement to function.

Patients are harmed, and Dr's are then potentially liable, by the reliance on regular scheduled use of short acting break through meds because they are impairing and also promote addiction behaviors ( more drug seeking) when compared to the proper dosing of long acting opiates.

every satte is faced with this problem and it is also dovetailing with the Louisiana study demonstrating that 2.7 % of the comp Dr.s account for 72 % of the costs of the comp system, many of whom are dispensing meds.

Sorry for the hijack and another rant about "pain" Drs.

freebird Wrote:
Cycler Wrote:YOU ARE not addicted, physically dependent but not addicted at also prove the point that opiates in long acting form are not particularly impairing, only the short acting ones.

All I can judge is myself and my physical/mental state. I do not trust all the opinions on the Internet when it comes to prescription drugs or how a particular car is rated.

I want to take as ittle as possible to give me quality of life.

Anyway..... good thread.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different way to look at addiction California_Help 6 3,338 07-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Well it finaly happened AQA 27 10,719 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  Phone interview that never happened bodybuilder1958 2 2,991 01-18-2012, 10:51 PM
  guess who is in ga sweet tooth 8 5,553 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Last Post: red1030
  Care to guess who's political ad showed this??? AQA 4 4,695 11-17-2010, 10:17 AM
  On a positive note, name something good that happened to you today monster 11 10,310 05-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Toungue Guess who I ran into?? capricorn 6 5,748 04-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Guess what I seen this morning..??? bronco54501 2 2,904 03-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Good news I guess capricorn 6 4,236 03-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Last Post: capricorn
  Can you guess who this is going to be backache 54 16,303 02-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Last Post: red1030