Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
well, I guess it's happened "Addiction"
Cycler..as I thinking back, I was prescribed Actos at the same time as the Tramadol and I believe that's where the interaction was. Actos is a 24 hour muscle relaxer that works better than any other I have taken. It works almost over night. I can't afford them so I take flexeril instead. My PCP had given me a bunch of samples and boy when my Fibro is acting up I miss it.

Cycler Wrote:So - are you taking two 50 mg tramadol tablest or one 100mg tablet four times a day. From my understanding, and I just did an online search, there is no 100mg preparation that should be used four times per day as they are the extended release version while it IS ok to use two 50 mg tablets four times per day and al fort the reasons previously stated.

And you KNOW my opinion on the matter; that just because your Dr. said it's ok doesn't mean it's a good idea.

freebird Wrote:
Cycler Wrote:That's odd.

Tramadol 100, 200 and 300 mg are intended to be taken once a day with reported 24 hour bio-availability. gte 50 mg is the four times per day version with much shortened bio-availability. SO if you are taking 100 mg four times per day you are getting the physical dependance of a 400 mg but eh analgesia of a 10. I wold expect you to have minimal pain relief but significant problems weaning from the tramadol which IS classified as an opiate but not a controlled substance.

I also take Tramadol, 100 mgs 4x's a day, along with Cymbalta and about 15 other scripts. I have made the mistake of "cutting" back on the Tramadol, boy did I have problems. My doctor tells me that my body is dependant on all of my meds to keep my pain levels manageable and other medical problems in check. I was always under the understanding that since Tramadol was'nt a narcotic that it was'nt addicting, now I know the differaces between addicting and being dependant.

I'm glad you are feeling better.

Love
Vickie

I took 100 mg of Tramadol immediate release 4x a day before I went to PM clinic a few years ago.

I took 2 of the 50 mg along with a 500 mg dosage of Tylenol.
I do believe a 100 mg pill of Tramadol instance release can now be purchased but I was prescribe 2 of the 50 mg at a time.
[/quote]
[/quote]

It was in 2005 but I took 2 50 mg at a time 4x a day as prescribed by my orthopedic. As far what is right or wrong coming from a Orthopedic surgeon, I was not concerned with that at the time.

I took this with Zanaflex for over 6 months until my PM Doctor changed the whole cocktail.

50 mg was not enough Tramadol to help me but 100 mg at a pop with one 500 mg Tylenol helped some.

Today, My cocktail is much stronger than this but my PM Doctor has helped me.

Cycler you are very knowledgable about medications. I am so very dizzy all the time and I just pass it off as a symptom of MS, but am starting to wonder if it is not some drug I am taking or a combination of drugs. I did some research and know that many of the drugs that I am on will cause vertigo or dizziness which I have both. Also know when answering this that I have a continual ring in both ears related to nerve damage so this may all truly be related to MS. I am just wanting your opinion. My docs all say well "you know you have MS." Recently I was having a lot of incidents where I was loosing time or just didn't remember and they have started back up again. At first it was thought that I was having silent seizures related to the MS, then it was thought it was due to my ativan incident, where I did loose my memory for an entier week, because the EEG didn't show any seizure type activity. Now however, the latest EEG shows seizure activity which they now believe is related to the number of seizure threshold lowering drugs that I am on and will be on for the rest of my life such as Avonex which is a shot that is taken once a week, then the modafinil which is for fatigue brought on by the MS and muscle tireness, welbrutin which is for depression, and the Miraprex which is for restless leg syndrome. I did read that everyone of these medications with the exception of Avonex has a side effect of dizziness. However, I believe you would know that during a study of any drug if only one person out of an entire sample or population reports some dizzines then it goes on the side effect list so I don't worry to much about most reports unless it is also reported by the FDA. Here are my current medications:
1. Avonex IM 1 X weekly...immunity lowering agent to prevent or decrease the number of MS attacks.
2. Ativan 1 mg BID two times daily...antianxiety
3. Modafinil 100 mg BID two times daily...fatigue
4. Baclofen tid three times a daily...spaciticity
5. Snythroid...anti thryroid... my thyroid was damaged in 2005 with my last attack and an over dose of steriods... I was given 1 gm a day x 6 days x 3 episodes in less than 6 weeks..you can imagine what this did to my psyche and my body as a whole...
6. Miraprex TID three times daily...restlessleg syndrome
7. Nexium QD once daily for GERD and hiatal hernia
8. Vit B12...once daily
9. Vit D 4000 mg which I take in 2 doses per day
10. Cacium once daily... I hate this ...it makes me so sick to my stomach...
11. Actenel for osteoporosis...another result of the medications I take for the MS,
12. HRT... Estrogen and progestron combination
13. Bowel program
14. Gabapentin for neuropathy related to the MS
catheterize 3-4 times a day... depending on the day etc.
15. Tylenol 3 tid three times a day...but I usually only take this at bedtime.. due to the side effects are worse than the pain relief it affords...
I have most likely missed something.... what do you think...only your opinion of course.. in all your reading.. would you relate this continual dizziness that I experience to the point of abdomina sickness to MS related issues or (most of my plague is found in my brain stem, frontal lobes, and cerivical regions) or all these medications? I know this is a crazy question most likely but I have been trying to research this and I always get the same answer from my docs... you may just always have this dizziness. It has gotten to the point that I can't see to paint, or do most of the things that I usually enjoy doing during the day now that I don't work such as cooking, cleaning house, painting, scrapbooking etc...or anything that requires an ability to focus such as typing all of this. thanks for your help... Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Wasn't Actos, that's your diabetes med. LOL !

what kind of gas do you putin your car by the way ?

capricorn Wrote:Cycler..as I thinking baback, I was prescribed Actos at the same time as the Tramadol and I believe that's where the interaction was. Actos is a 24 hour muscle relaxer that works better than any other I have taken. It works almost over night. I can't afford them so I take flexeril instead. My PCP had given me a bunch of samples and boy when my Fibro is acting up I miss it.

I can certainly imagine dizziness due to drug-drug interactions on so may CNS meds. Consider that the baclofen plus gabapentin alone would knock most people down in combo......

red1030 Wrote:Cycler you are very knowledgable about medications. I am so very dizzy all the time and I just pass it off as a symptom of MS, but am starting to wonder if it is not some drug I am taking or a combination of drugs. I did some research and know that many of the drugs that I am on will cause vertigo or dizziness which I have both. Also know when answering this that I have a continual ring in both ears related to nerve damage so this may all truly be related to MS. I am just wanting your opinion. My docs all say well "you know you have MS." Recently I was having a lot of incidents where I was loosing time or just didn't remember and they have started back up again. At first it was thought that I was having silent seizures related to the MS, then it was thought it was due to my ativan incident, where I did loose my memory for an entier week, because the EEG didn't show any seizure type activity. Now however, the latest EEG shows seizure activity which they now believe is related to the number of seizure threshold lowering drugs that I am on and will be on for the rest of my life such as Avonex which is a shot that is taken once a week, then the modafinil which is for fatigue brought on by the MS and muscle tireness, welbrutin which is for depression, and the Miraprex which is for restless leg syndrome. I did read that everyone of these medications with the exception of Avonex has a side effect of dizziness. However, I believe you would know that during a study of any drug if only one person out of an entire sample or population reports some dizzines then it goes on the side effect list so I don't worry to much about most reports unless it is also reported by the FDA. Here are my current medications:
1. Avonex IM 1 X weekly...immunity lowering agent to prevent or decrease the number of MS attacks.
2. Ativan 1 mg BID two times daily...antianxiety
3. Modafinil 100 mg BID two times daily...fatigue
4. Baclofen tid three times a daily...spaciticity
5. Snythroid...anti thryroid... my thyroid was damaged in 2005 with my last attack and an over dose of steriods... I was given 1 gm a day x 6 days x 3 episodes in less than 6 weeks..you can imagine what this did to my psyche and my body as a whole...
6. Miraprex TID three times daily...restlessleg syndrome
7. Nexium QD once daily for GERD and hiatal hernia
8. Vit B12...once daily
9. Vit D 4000 mg which I take in 2 doses per day
10. Cacium once daily... I hate this ...it makes me so sick to my stomach...
11. Actenel for osteoporosis...another result of the medications I take for the MS,
12. HRT... Estrogen and progestron combination
13. Bowel program
14. Gabapentin for neuropathy related to the MS
catheterize 3-4 times a day... depending on the day etc.
15. Tylenol 3 tid three times a day...but I usually only take this at bedtime.. due to the side effects are worse than the pain relief it affords...
I have most likely missed something.... what do you think...only your opinion of course.. in all your reading.. would you relate this continual dizziness that I experience to the point of abdomina sickness to MS related issues or (most of my plague is found in my brain stem, frontal lobes, and cerivical regions) or all these medications? I know this is a crazy question most likely but I have been trying to research this and I always get the same answer from my docs... you may just always have this dizziness. It has gotten to the point that I can't see to paint, or do most of the things that I usually enjoy doing during the day now that I don't work such as cooking, cleaning house, painting, scrapbooking etc...or anything that requires an ability to focus such as typing all of this. thanks for your help... Red

thanks cycler...I will put more attention on my research on these two drugs. In the past I would just stop the gabapentin from time to time however, then the docs would give me another lecture about treating myself so I won't stop anything. I will however, do some more research and ask my doctor about it and she what she says. Most likely if she would let me discontinue one of the drugs...it would be the gabapentin as the spaticity is most likely out as it would stop movement in its tracks but the gabapentin I can do without because I can deal with the pain in my feet better than this dizziness... thanks for your input...,I know it is just an opinion and not advice...thanks Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Red, just a thought, as when I had my knee replaced, I was treated for Restless Leg, but your taking two of the same meds for that, Baclofen & Miraprex. I was given just Baclofen.

Then Welbrutin & Ativan, again possible double medicated.

But, I was told while taking these meds you list, was to really limit my intake of Tylenol, IB, and Asprin products.

Just a thought is all.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

OK Cycler...I'll admit it...I have no memory due to the Neurontin. Tongue I actually just started taking Metformin a month ago. Was diet controlled for 6 years. OK so that's not the drug.....can anyone think of the 24 hour drug that is the same as flexeril??? It's pretty new and very expensive. Sorry Cycler....I know you'll figure out which one I'm talkng about.Wink

Cap I was on flexeril for muscle spasms but have been switched to skelaxin.

Doctor says it works the same and cost me the same amount at the pharmacy.

Bad boy..thanks for the comments. Baclofen doesn't touch my restless leg syndrome and is not usually given for that disease process... and welbrutin is a anti depressant whereas ativan is an anti anxiety...medication. Sometimes I wonder if I am over medicating because of the number of medications I am put on ....until 2005 I took, amatadine for fatigue, avonex for the MS, and baclofen for spasticity, and then prozac to prevent depression as avonex has depressive components inherit in the medication. Now I take so much I don't know what ends up half of the time. Thanks for reading and commenting it means a lot to me... I will ask the doc about possibly another antipressant that will do both depression and anxiety. Red

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different way to look at addiction California_Help 6 4,463 07-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Well it finaly happened AQA 27 13,488 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  Phone interview that never happened bodybuilder1958 2 3,571 01-18-2012, 10:51 PM
  guess who is in ga sweet tooth 8 6,360 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Last Post: red1030
  Care to guess who's political ad showed this??? AQA 4 5,298 11-17-2010, 10:17 AM
  On a positive note, name something good that happened to you today monster 11 11,753 05-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Toungue Guess who I ran into?? capricorn 6 6,273 04-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Guess what I seen this morning..??? bronco54501 2 3,200 03-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Good news I guess capricorn 6 4,740 03-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Last Post: capricorn
  Can you guess who this is going to be backache 54 19,344 02-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Last Post: red1030