Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physical Therapy
Hi everyone. I had some questions about PT. I have been back in Pt for about 4 weeks started making some real good improvement. They helped so much with my hip and groin pain in my right leg I felt like a new woman on week 2. The Pt was so happy, I was happy, so we decided to up the excersizes. I increased my walking to 2 trips around the block (before I couldn't make it a 1/2 block). Everything was going good still had the pain down my butt and right leg with numbness in my outer calf and 1/2 my foot, but after all the hip and groin pain gone I felt I could manage this little inconvienence. Then came the recumbant bike :( after 5 minutes on this thing I couldn't feel my foot at all, I began dragging my leg again and here comes the worst part. I'm having bladder incontinence again. This was on week 3. I now am back to square one, and very disappointed. The Pt took away all my previous excersizes and now has me just doing toe and heel lifts. I drive 45 minutes to therapy twice a week, which in itself kills me, just to have her rub my knots out, put on the electrical stim and then send me home. I'm no better off when I leave actually kind of worse and unable to take any pain meds until I get home (I can't drive on them). Enough whinning here comes my questions---Has anyone had setbacks like this? Is it just a setback? I see my surgeon again on 2/2/10. I'm affraid to tell him any of this, because he wants to go back in to see what is causing the narrowing of the nerve space. PT was my chance at avoiding another surgery.
I am so affraid of yet another surgery. Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated.
6/97--Discectomy L5-S1. 3/09--Discectomy L5-S1 (failed). 6/09--spinal fusion L5-S1. This year who knows?

He doesn't have to go Back in to See, You need another MRI, with and without Contrast. That should give Him a Handle of what's going on with that. I would Argue for More Testing, or a Second Opinion Before I would let Him Back in There!!Wink

Happen to me all the time. The toe heel lifts are for many things, Leg, butt and lower spine. Had to adjust everything, and always start over.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Same here. PT has made my back and shoulder worse. Had to stop certain excercises and never go back to them. Would set off the pain and it would be months before it would die down.

Set backs???? Yep same with me. While I was in pt I had a good workout program the stretching warm up on the tredmill then some squating weights and the workout on the big ball for abdomin... All was good untill they asigned me to a new pt person.. They called it work hardening.. 5 days aweek and 4 hours aday, trying to get me back in shape for working..... This lady was killing me, I think she was trying to make a name for her self with WC.. Ended up setting me back 2months of pt cause of the muscle damage she done to me... They were not adressing my injuries and were more concerned about getting me back to work.. Well my Surgeon and DR pulled me out of that place and set me up with another place for pt.....What a godsend..

Dont get me wrong there is a saying no pain no gain... But with in reason..... You get a good program and stick to it.... your the one that has to suffer afterwards.. Increase it slowly and steady,..

I hope ya get this figured out and find some relief.......

You may not be surprised to know then that there is no scientific or medical evidence supporting PT modalities and exercises and all those expensive machines tha must be paid for as being therapeutic and certainly nothing to support it's use in back and neck injuries. It may be the standard of care but it has nothing to back it up. Big money for the facilities and owners though. Same goes for Discograms, more harmfiul than helpful, fusions, not a shred of medical evidence, and all those pain clinic injection treatments.

Nada...zilch....poof. But hey, surgewons and physio's have to eat too.... .

I find that hard to believe. I know that after my fusion I was able to walk again. I may do it with a limp, but it is better than not walking at all.

KIT, I am with Still In Limbo. I would want more tests first. I exahuasted all test before they did experimental surgery.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

The Added Testing in My Case saved Me even a Worse Life of He** than I'm in Now, as the Scar Tissue was Found, along with a Crushed Nerve Root Encapsulated in that Scar Tissue. When Surgeons, both Ortho. and Neuro. Looked at My Films, within 2 Minutes They were Explaining that another Surgery wasn't in the Books for Me, and not to Let Anyone Talk Me into it!! Wink

discogram found mine where other test couldnt or other WC doc couldnt it was a court ordered Doc and his discogram that found it...I went from a -0- rating and a settlement offer of 3000 dollars to a 77% whole body rating because of the discogram and other test for carpel tunnel and lungs......so while what you read may not prove it my case did to me I can tell you my settlement was a whole lot better that the 3 they first offered me.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

I too read that report. I do remember it stating not good, for Chronic pain, I remember it saying it could be good, or even possible to help in a therapeutic manner, such as miner pain in relation to muscle and such. Bummers pain is muscle pain, and this is why they have a Tens Unit (Stim) to treat in a therapeutic manner.

Now when I went through all mine, Pt was given for several issues. As we became injuried, the very first thing that becomes weak are the muscles in the area of injury. Before I went in for any surgery, PT was to help build the muscles up, and get me in better shape, so when surgery took place healing was better and quicker. Then after surgery, the muscles take another hit and weaken again. PT to rebuild those muscles again. Now PT also is therapeutic, as it helps get the person out of the house, so mentally this alone helps with the Social aspect of the injury.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  injury during physical therapy maggiemae4321 5 6,651 02-02-2019, 04:38 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Denied physical therapy? smithj97 18 24,754 09-10-2014, 08:30 PM
  Physical therapy (California ) Toyster16 2 2,433 06-09-2014, 02:15 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  Change in physical condition form help KT4411 3 6,217 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Last Post: KT4411
Sad Ran out of physical therapy but I need more HELP Nrod8285 4 12,270 04-02-2011, 01:01 PM
  Physical Therapy during work hours Rick in CT 1 8,647 03-11-2011, 05:25 PM
  Physical Therapy Vertigo Eval Bummer Knees 28 18,095 02-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  physical therapy queenbee 10 7,473 09-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Last Post: cfree1961