Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can steroid injection make you worse..
I had i steriod injection on my L5-S1 on 12/18/09 I felt fine for a couple of days then on 12/23 I started to have pain worst then ever and now my right shoulder to my neck hurts...My injury is on lower back... Can this happen? Has anyone have this happen them...
injury 08/04/09....L4-L5 and L5-S1 there is mild diffuse broad-based bulging of the disk...In addition there is minor facet and ligamentous hypertrophy..Nerve root irritation on L5-S1.12/18/09 facet injection to L5-S1 and tailbone..02/04/2010 another facet injection.MMI on 01/18/2010 IR 8%

Some people have reported this type of reaction. I would report it to your doctor. It could be a delayed reaction meaning that you have a sensitivity to the shot. It might be an allergy to the cortisone or the base (stability ingredients) of the shot.

Watch the Video;

http://www.spine-health.com/video/epidur...pain-video

Then it all depends as to what type steroids where used, or was it a combination injection?
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

I had several by the same Dr. never a problem. Another physiatrist did an injection in my sacroid joint and I had what they called an allergic reaction. After the numbing agent wore off the pain was 100 times worse than before.

My L5-S1 steriod injection before my 1st surgery hurt real bad. My nuerosurgeon said it probably would add more pressure to the already inflamed area around the hurnitated disc that was pressing on the nerve, but because the injection is the next step in treating a hurniated disc I had to go through it. He only made me do it one time because I lost all feeling in my right foot immediately after the injection and had horrible pain down my butt and leg. After my second surgery (a spinal fusion) they tried another round of injections into the nerve space at L5-S1 and my SI joint on the right, they did not help, but they did not agrivate the problem either. Everyone is different. If it has caused that much pain I would notify the Dr. who gave you the injection and the Dr. who is treating you for the initial injury. Good Luck.
6/97--Discectomy L5-S1. 3/09--Discectomy L5-S1 (failed). 6/09--spinal fusion L5-S1. This year who knows?

New Research on Interlaminar Epidural Steroid Injections for Back Pain and Sciatica
August 3, 2007

Recent reviews of clinical trials on the effectiveness of interlaminar epidural steroid injections for treatment of lower back pain and sciatica have concluded that the injections do not provide clinically meaningful pain relief in the short term and no pain relief in the long term.

It should be noted that interlaminar epidural injections are different than transforaminal epidural steroid injections (also called spinal nerve blocks) and that transforaminal epidural steroid injections have been shown to be effective for sciatica in clinical trials.

The effectiveness of lumbar interlaminar epidural steroid injections for treatment of lower back pain and sciatica continues to be a hotly debated topic.

Some physicians view epidural steroid injections as an important pain relief treatment option for many patients with severe lower back pain that radiates down the leg. They would argue that, while it doesn’t work for everyone, an epidural steroid injection is one of the only non-surgical options that can provide almost immediate pain relief for severe sciatica. Others view the recent reviews as evidence that interlaminar injections should not be performed.

As always, the devil is in the details, and significant details are left out of the clinical trial reviews. Most notably:

The injection protocol in the studies cited do not include the use of fluoroscopy or x-ray to verify proper placement of the medication, despite the fact that fluoroscopic guidance is an important factor in the success of the procedure and is routinely used today.
Most of the studies do not classify patients according to diagnosis and tend to 'lump' different types sources of pain together.
"These methodological flaws are considerable and make it difficult to impossible to draw conclusions from the studies. More clinical studies are needed to properly define the role of epidural steroid injections in low back pain and in sciatica" states Ray Baker, MD, a pain management physician in Bellevue Washington and Medical Advisor for Spine-health.com.

Until more definitive and reliable research is available, patients are advised to make sure that they:

Enlist the services of professionals with extensive experience in doing epidural steroid injections
Always use fluoroscopy to ensure accurate placement
Follow the generally accepted guidelines of limiting the number of injections to a maximum of three within any one-year period
Sources:
American Academy of Neurology
Injections
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

spammer??^^^^

Admin note: yes, spammer. Spammer gone. Smile

Reported as spam

***Thanks! Deleted and banned! Kate***

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Do I have to Continue PT if its making my pain worse ? Gabriel's My Angel 7 2,939 01-26-2018, 05:16 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Sweating after injection. vickinat 16 47,270 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Steroid Injections hurt back 53 50,430 06-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Last Post: hurt back
  Surgery made injury worse! CA_bunk_Hand 1 4,396 06-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  How long does it take to get approval from IC for a injection ca/wa what next 1 3,713 12-07-2011, 01:15 AM
  hardware injection inpainokla 10 16,180 05-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Last Post: bear31255
  Insomnia and worse pain (Lyrica)H sonny1 0 3,891 03-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Last Post: sonny1
  injection site injury jblarson53 13 17,068 02-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Last Post: jblarson53
  What results can I expect from epidural steroid injections bagpussinamerica 10 23,550 10-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  Self Insured Company...Is this better or worse for my claim? NVworker 5 9,347 03-10-2010, 01:50 AM
Last Post: NVworker