Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More back woes
Hello everyone

As some of you already know, I had double cervical disk fusion with instrumentation (C5-7) back in March from an injury sustained back in May of '05. I am now about 16 or so weeks post op and continue to have bad neck, shoulder, and now upper back pain. I went to my neurologist yesterday who is sending me for a MRI of my Thoracic spine. I just noticed that my first MRI back in '05 shows a small herniation of my T2-3 disk
Questions I have are ...
With Titanium plating it is OK to have MRI's??
What symptoms are caused by a T2-3 disk herniation?

I went back to work on June 27th and after working for about 2 weeks went on vacation (on my 2nd week). I will return back to work next Monday if I'm not called for jury duty so I hope I get the MRI results before that

Be Well
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

tpm, I'm sure they have a way to give an MRI safely with Hardware, I just wanted to jump on here and say Hi, I haven't seen you around much on the Board. I' sorry you're having more Problems, and I hope they get them straightened out for you and soon!!!Wink

Quote:Because it is biocompatible (non-toxic and is not rejected by the body), titanium is used in a gamut of medical applications including surgical implements and implants, such as hip balls and sockets (joint replacement) that can stay in place for up to 20 years. Titanium has the inherent property to osseointegrate, enabling use in dental implants that can remain in place for over 30 years. This property is also useful for orthopedic implant applications.[8]

Since titanium is non-ferromagnetic, patients with titanium implants can be safely examined with magnetic resonance imaging (convenient for long-term implants). Preparing titanium for implantation in the body involves subjecting it to a high-temperature plasma arc which removes the surface atoms, exposing fresh titanium that is instantly oxidized.[8] Titanium is also used for the surgical instruments used in image-guided surgery, as well as wheelchairs, crutches, and any other product where high strength and low weight are important.
I didn't think that titanium was a magnetic metal, but went to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium to be 100% sure.
Patients with implants made with titaium can be in an MRI tube as long as the people doing the study know it's there. It will show up as either a very dark spot, or very bright, and can effect the sharpness of the pictures directly surrounding the implant. They will adjust the radio frequency to compensate for the implant.
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x148/dipweed23/Bananav2.gif[/IMG]

Thanks for the replies

I will keep you posted
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

don't worry about the mri's. you will be fine. when I had my mri's I also had x-rays done. the mri will not show a clear view of the screws,rods,and plates but the x-ray will.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Scheduled for my MRI on Friday at 4pm. Hopefully I can get a copy of the report while I'm there and will give you wonderful people the outcome. At this point I'm hoping it shows something significant so they know what to correct. I'm feeling worse as the days go on Sad

Take care and Be Well
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

I Hope everything goes well tpm, and they can find out what is going on with you! Pleas let us know as soon as you can!!Wink

Had my MRI on Friday. Had to be the loudest, oldest, and narrowist (if that's a word) machine I have ever been in. To make matters worse the A/C in the office was not working to well. The tech wouldn't or couldn't tell me anything about the results saying only the doctor can read the films. So being the weekend and all I will most likely have the results on Tuesday.
I'll keep you posted

Take Care and Be Well
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

tpm...it is nice to hear from you and to receive an update. Carol (red)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Thanks for the update TPM, and Please let us know the outcome!! Have a Restful and Pain-Free weekend!!Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My MSA Woes..... lucky 2 2,320 08-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Last Post: lucky
Question Doctor Woes-CA ems30 13 6,526 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Tpm's neck woes continue tpm 34 12,876 02-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Last Post: notreadytogo