Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calcaneal stress fracture in Alabama
Thanks for this opportunity to ask this question...

I will be 64yrs in 2 wks. I have worked my entire working life as a nurse (35yrs) and the last 8 to 10 working contracts for various companies, in several different states. I work in the Operating room on cement floors and yes, have worn "good" shoes.

I have had foot pain off and of for the last couple of yrs. Saw a MD 2 yrs ago and he told me I had Plantar fascitis. Over a couple months time he injected my heel. This helped quite a bit.
But, over the next 2 yrs the pain has progressively gotten worse..some days more than others.

This last 6 to 8 months have been pretty bad, so much so I had to leave my last assignment due to pain. The hospital I was at didn't believe nurse's needed to sit so we had no sitting stools in the OR nor did we receive morning breaks. The hospital wanted to start me on "mandatory overtime" once a week (this was not in my contract)and also would have to start taking call this same week. This would mean working from 6:45am till whenever the cases were done. I just couldn't do it. (This was in SC). I had to leave that job...company didn't back me. Held my last week's pay.

I had been seeing a Podiatrist in town during the summer and he treated me for Plantar Fascitis also. Actually, was in to see him about 3 times...one visit he xrayed my foot and nothing showed up. This last time I went in to him he sent me for a Nuclear Med Scan...well, the results of that was I had a "calcaneal fracture" and he implied it was pretty bad.
Treatment is to wear a "cam boot" for 2 to 6 months and if this didn't heal it then it was surgery. He also told me a bone stimulator would help but I didn't have the money and Cobra hadn't kicked in yet.

I asked him if I can work with it and he said yes, but that is very unrealistic as it's pretty hard to push stretcher's, equipment and do the work I do in the Operating room. Most nurse manager's want you to be as fast as possible as they don't want to slow the surgery schedule. This is my right foot and it's even difficult to drive.

Am I being unrealistic to think I have anything to file for and if so where do I file.
I am not married, not wealthy and thank goodness my daughter let's me live with her. But, there is nothing covering my bills.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

lots of nurses on here Tuffy is about your age and a nurse so she most likely be able to answer some of your questions...did the Doc say it was work related? did you turn it in at work? if so I would have a sit down talk with a good certified workers comp lawyer....he/she would be able to tell you more Good luck and welcome try the off topics for a fun side,jayne
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

jayne Wrote:lots of nurses on here Tuffy is about your age and a nurse so she most likely be able to answer some of your questions...did the Doc say it was work related? did you turn it in at work? if so I would have a sit down talk with a good certified workers comp lawyer....he/she would be able to tell you more Good luck and welcome try the off topics for a fun side,jayne

Thanks for the reply...didn't ask the doc if it was work related...didn't think about it at the time but have had some friends tell me I should check into it.
I have been on my feet for many yrs...but who knows...

Hi passnthru, Welcome, although under bad times. Yes I have been through the gauntlet of WC, If you haven't filed a WC claim, that is the first thing I would do....Then ask your Dr if it is work related. I would think it is. I know the feeling of being on your feet all day. have done it for close to 34 years.

You may want to PM or E Mail RNvic as she was a traveler, and may be able to give you more info. Her injury was a shoulder, and mine was my back. Along with the feet , that seems to go with the profession. Also as Jayne suggested you may want to talk to a good WC attorney...... But I would get a claim filed as soon as you can, It may be denied but at least that way you know where you stand.....I'am not sure who you would file a WC claim with, Maybe the agency you worked for?? did you have insurance with them. If not then maybe the Hospital . Are you off work?.

Tuffy Wrote:Hi passnthru, Welcome, although under bad times. Yes I have been through the gauntlet of WC, If you haven't filed a WC claim, that is the first thing I would do....Then ask your Dr if it is work related. I would think it is. I know the feeling of being on your feet all day. have done it for close to 34 years.

You may want to PM or E Mail RNvic as she was a traveler, and may be able to give you more info. Her injury was a shoulder, and mine was my back. Along with the feet , that seems to go with the profession. Also as Jayne suggested you may want to talk to a good WC attorney...... But I would get a claim filed as soon as you can, It may be denied but at least that way you know where you stand.....
Tuffy, thanks for the reply... I am going to look into this tomorrow. I wasn't sure if I should and then where to file..the state the company is in (SC) ..the hospital just happens to be in the same state as the company.

How to find an attorney if needed?

Thanks,

Passnthur- I also was a traveler and was injuried out of state. First things first, call the company you were working for and notify there wc person of the injury.

Then start talking with wc lawyers in your home state. Don't hire the first one until you have checked out a few, also avoid the TV or big ad lawyers they usally are not that good.

Go back and collect a copy of all medical records on the care you have received. make a file of each Dr. start a log and list any thing that the injury has changed in your life. walking, standing, change in shoes. Also keep up with who you talk with and what was said. Most case manager are not iyour friend so be careful what you say to them

If I can answer anything else just let me know. Also I can be reached by email. Just pm me. If you want to talk to me just pm me your number and I will give you a call.

You have come to the best place you could come. It is a wonderful group of people that have been a great deal of help to me over the years.

Good luck and welcome to our family.

Tinkerbell ( RNvic)
May God send his angels to hold you in his arms

You need to look up the State for point of where injury may said to have taken place, then call them, and ask about the Statues of Limitations on filing a work comp claim. If your out on time, then your out of luck for filing. Then if in within time, find those medical reports, hire an attorney that can work between States, mostly a Law Firm.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:You need to look up the State for point of where injury may said to have taken place, then call them, and ask about the Statues of Limitations on filing a work comp claim. If your out on time, then your out of luck for filing. Then if in within time, find those medical reports, hire an attorney that can work between States, mostly a Law Firm.
Thanks, this is like happening now...just got this boot 2 wks ago and I don't really think it's helping. The last state i worked in is SC and this is where the company is if that makes any difference.
Thanks, I appreciate any suggestions..

http://www.wcc.state.sc.us/

Only if you were treated in SC at the time of said now possible injury. Information for contact of SC is above.

What I'm trying to say, is where was first medical report and treatment, what State, that would be where you start. Or better said State of work comp possible injury. Then onto the next
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:http://www.wcc.state.sc.us/

Only if you were treated in SC at the time of said now possible injury. Information for contact of SC is above.

What I'm trying to say, is where was first medical report and treatment, what State, that would be where you start. Or better said State of work comp possible injury. Then onto the next

OK, thanks. I first saw an MD in NC in 2007...then this year here in AL..so, sounds like I should start in NC>.thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stress and Health Claim?? Caligirl1276 4 5,989 04-19-2021, 11:04 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Knee Reconstruction after Tibial Plateau Fracture (Shattered) Justus420 5 1,811 08-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Justus420
  Ankle fracture oregon Omar99 11 6,872 07-19-2017, 10:37 PM
  Califoria stress claims CaseyandMarie 28 22,272 01-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Last Post: BB019
  Settlement Input Alabama sharrell 3 3,763 11-19-2015, 12:14 AM
  Should I file A Stress Claim? workmanscompquestions 9 11,017 02-25-2015, 01:35 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  Alabama WC first settlement offer: suggestions please atvrep1 1 5,445 06-26-2014, 11:12 AM
  Alabama Alabama Alabama mobo96 0 2,244 02-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Last Post: mobo96
  Back Injury in Alabama mwillliams1979 10 12,199 02-20-2012, 09:54 PM
  when does the negotiating start? (Alabama beckyandac 5 7,026 12-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Last Post: LeglEgl