Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beyond the scope of normal household duties
I am here in Montana. Injured in 2007 with herniated disk at L5-S1, had surgery, failed. Now have complications of symptomatic Tarlov's cyst which w/c have accepted as being workplace injury related. I am currently waiting for w/c to decide whether or not I should be allowed to go to Kansas City for surgery...this is a new field and as such my own surgeon can not do the surgery. On top of all of this my surgeon has written to w/c stating that he feels that I am in need of some help in the home as well as some one to drive me to and from shopping on an occasional basis. I live on my own. Can no longer drive due to the meds I am taking and the pain that I get and can not take good care of my own home.

W/C has stated that my surgeon should advise if I require nursing care beyond the scope of normal household duties. I have found on research the "normal household duties" are such as meal preparation, putting out the rubbish etc. So what is beyond the normal scope? I cannot clean floors or use a hoover without extreme pain. I have a king size bed and the mattress is a Tempurpedic...it is bloody heavy and I find it really difficult stripping and making that bed. It is really hard. Washing the shower and the bath is difficult. So are they basically saying that I have to live in a dirty house and not make the beds or what? I am just trying to find out if I can get any kind of help. I am pretty much totally isolated because I am no longer able to drive. Watching telly is really boring, guys!!!

Bag,I have no answers for you unless you also happen to be on medicare then you can get home health they do light housekeeping making beds sweeping your main area ect.....on the other hand have you tried POGO.com ?it is a game site that many of us visit it is very helpful in the wee hours of the morning when there is so much pain you cant sleep....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Thank you Jayne, I play a LOT of solitaire and have a Brain Training Nintendo. Thank God for the little things. But just being able to go out to the Library or to the Farmers Market is something that I really miss. I don't have medicare. And have no other insurance options. I came over from the UK when I got married to a man here, he left after one year and I was out desperately trying to find any and all work just to keep a house over my head. My 15 year old daughter was with me then. She now lives with her boyfriend and I don't see much of them. Unfortunately I was working more than 60 hours a week on several jobs so I didn't have much of a chance to build friendships. Now I have all of the time and no way to get out to meet people!!! SODS law at work again.

Why don't you contact a church in your area and explain your predicament, many churches have ministries that do things like what you need, I know mine does.

I think what the carrier is trying to find out is what kind of help you need. If what you need is help with household chores, then you don't need a RN, LPT, home-health aid. You need a housekeeper. I would not assume they are trying to fight you on it yet...they could just be trying to gather the appropriate documentation they need for their file. Ask your doctor to provide a note detailing exactly what you need.

On a side note...I would do a lot of investigation before I would let anyone perform a "new" back surgery on you. Multiple back surgeries usually don't improve the situation, and can lead to additional complications. Surgery should always be your last resort. Get on the internet and research the procedure they are talking about. Ask the doctor for contact information for people that have actually had the surgery in question. You need to make an informed decision about your medical care.

jayne Wrote:Bag,I have no answers for you unless you also happen to be on medicare then you can get home health they do light housekeeping making beds sweeping your main area ect.....on the other hand have you tried POGO.com ?it is a game site that many of us visit it is very helpful in the wee hours of the morning when there is so much pain you cant sleep....

I love Pogo. Think it is a great game room.

Bag,
You know that I live in Montana too, and we share some of the same medical problems as well as w/c issues. I can still dive and would be willing to help you out with getting to and from store or doctor's appt. I can not lift or clean for you because i am in the same boat. Pm me and I will give you my phone number, anything I can do I will. The company would be great too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MRI says normal but its a lie, xray shows not normal racer17 2 1,737 06-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
Rolleyes normal calculating methods when two different % are given kevin5960 5 2,653 02-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Last Post: 1171
  A little shaken, don't know if this is normal. Nabby 5 4,553 07-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Last Post: 1171
Smile Tips and tricks to do normal things while in pain.. PainandSmiles 26 13,991 05-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Last Post: lucky
  is it normal orange 17 9,556 08-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  I recieved a larger than normal check? simplyshane 4 5,213 04-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Last Post: ace25
  Attorney, normal procedure? Moving Slow 5 4,275 01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Moving Slow
Exclamation Ouch! Is this normal? TiredOfHurting09 32 14,798 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Last Post: TiredOfHurting09
  Too Long or The Normal Time Stumpy 13 8,564 05-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  I am confused as normal risingeagle222 11 5,045 06-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Last Post: stiffnecked