Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WC "newbie" - ?s re out-of-state travel
Question 
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and new to WC in general. I live in Montana and have sustained injuries to my right lower arm due to the repetitive motions of my job. I've been off work "until released" and going to occupational therapy since 10/2. I also have instructions for daily at home therapy . Since my condition is considered "chronic," it appears that even with all of this, healing is going to take awhile.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows of any (and I can't imagine there's not!) rules or regulations regarding out-of-state travel for a period of time. I'd like to accompany my husband on a trip to Michigan to spend time with his mother, who has terminal cancer and has taken a turn for the worse. Her death is not yet imminent, but we feel the need to spend some time with her while she can still enjoy our company.

I find myself concerned as to how being gone from home for what will most likely [/color]be several weeks might affect my WC case and benefits. As has been the case from the start, I go to OT three times a week and see my physician every two weeks. The therapist and doctor then report my progress to my case worker. It seems the best thing for me to do is be honest with my case worker - call her, tell her about the situation with my mother-in-law, and that I want to go with my husband to visit her. Obviously, if I'm thousands of miles away, I won't be able to go to therapy or my doctor. I can't be the first person in my position that needs to leave town for a "family emergency," so there's got to be some protocol. I would appreciate any information, insights, tips, etc. you might have regarding my situation. Thank you!

Well, the way I see it. Can you still do the pusses snd pulls on you own???? If So, why not have opencomunication btween you and them, That may settle the issue.

Take Care
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

AQA Wrote:Well, the way I see it. Can you still do the pusses snd pulls on you own???? If So, why not have opencomunication btween you and them, That may settle the issue.

Take Care

Sorry about posting your reply to me as a quote. Along with learing the "ins and outs" of WC, it appears I've got some things to figure out about how online forums work! Anyway, yes, I'm hoping that by assuring my case worker that I'll continue doing my "at home" therapy 3-4 times a day (even though I'll be away from home) will be enough to satisfy her, but I don't know for sure. I was hoping to gain some insight from others BEFORE talking with her, which I'm planning on doing tomorrow (Monday) afternoon.

When you first start talking with her. Figute out when the dr. appointmemnts are. Those you will want to keep.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

you will need to discuss it with your doctor. there maybe some therapy that can be arranged while you are away.
generally therapy can be done without supervision. if it's not a major interruption or set back in your treatment regime it should be alright.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Thanks AQA and 1171. I have both a doctor's and a OT appointment tomorrow. I plan on talking to both of them before calling my case worker. I feel confident that both my doctor and therapist will want to do what they can to enable my trip. I'm not as concerned about missing in-office therapy as I am about not being able to see my doctor for several weeks, as my case worker has wanted me to have follow-up appointments every two weeks.

Another concern is that my WC pay will be withheld while I'm gone, as my employer doesn't offer paid sick leave or vacation. So then why would WC pay while I was gone if my employer wouldn't have? I'm of course hoping that won't be the case, but I'm guessing it will be!

believe it or not your adjuster has a family and a heart....if you have all along been working with them they should work with you...I believe the PT can be done by yourself the doc visits the doc may make 3 weeks apart for you just be up front and honest with them then you must let the chips fall where they may....Family is everything
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Ladyslipper Wrote:Thanks AQA and 1171. I have both a doctor's and a OT appointment tomorrow. I plan on talking to both of them before calling my case worker. I feel confident that both my doctor and therapist will want to do what they can to enable my trip. I'm not as concerned about missing in-office therapy as I am about not being able to see my doctor for several weeks, as my case worker has wanted me to have follow-up appointments every two weeks.

Another concern is that my WC pay will be withheld while I'm gone, as my employer doesn't offer paid sick leave or vacation. So then why would WC pay while I was gone if my employer wouldn't have? I'm of course hoping that won't be the case, but I'm guessing it will be!

I am sure that it is the IC not your employer who is paying your benefits (TTD) while you are off of work with this injury. Am I correct ?? In your case if this is true, then you will continue to collect TTD whether you are in Montana or Michigan. Employee pay regs DO NOT over rule WC pay. They are 2 entirerly different entities.

As long as the IC is aware of the fact that you will be leaving you state for several weeks due to your MIL health issues, there should be no reason why they wouldn't continue to pay you your TTD.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

disability payments are based on your inability to work. as long as your doctor continues to certify your off work status you will be paid,
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roadcash app for my travel reimbursement? Cdehrlic 3 2,266 08-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Last Post: 1171
Question WC Newbie heatonsgal 5 2,567 06-14-2016, 03:33 PM
  cumulative injury in CA (newbie) tiona 6 3,907 03-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  NC State WC employees and State Employee bonus CuriousOneNC 1 3,221 01-06-2016, 06:46 PM
  Newbie to forum - Chronic Pain - C&R celenr02 4 4,344 08-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Newbie with knee injury doglover 6 6,736 07-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  SC workmanship comp newbie & shocked Bethtanker 4 3,482 06-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Manley2
Rolleyes Question from NY newbie electrotyper 3 3,165 04-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Last Post: electrotyper
  Travel Reimbursement brneyedgirl40 16 25,112 06-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Last Post: hurt back
  Newbie Needs Insight - Over My Head auhunter 3 3,920 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM