Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
removing hardware??
hi all just wanted to ask anyone who has had a fusion is it normal for the dr to start talking about removing hardware??its only been months 5 since the surgery l-4 l-5 l-5 s-1 and the dr is talking about removing the hardware any input on this would be appreciated....
SETTLED!!!

Only if it is causing problems. or it was meant to be temporary.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

no its purpose is to stay there permanantly but im still having alot of pain so there looking at removing it as an option
SETTLED!!!

It's not that unusual to remove hardware it's just not easy. Rehab, etc. I'd be going for a 2nd or 3rd opinion on removal. I've assisted with those surgeries, had discussions with the docs on the outcomes and it's not pretty.

bodybuilder1958 Wrote:It's not that unusual to remove hardware it's just not easy. Rehab, etc. I'd be going for a 2nd or 3rd opinion on removal. I've assisted with those surgeries, had discussions with the docs on the outcomes and it's not pretty.

this is actually a new dr thats considering removing the hardware but the old dr wanted to also so i dont know whats up..but if it helps with the pain im ok with it
SETTLED!!!

My stepmother had her hardware removed, it helped with 80% of her pain. She underwent months of rehab and she'd be the first to tell you that the pain is not gone but she can function. She can drive again, walk distance.
She wears a brace daily for support, pain relief. I got her to do acpuncture, pilates. That really got her going.

It's not an easy decision for anyone facing the removal of hardware. But getting rid of the worst of the pain. I wish you well my friend.

BB

bodybuilder1958 Wrote:My stepmother had her hardware removed, it helped with 80% of her pain. She underwent months of rehab and she'd be the first to tell you that the pain is not gone but she can function. She can drive again, walk distance.
She wears a brace daily for support, pain relief. I got her to do acpuncture, pilates. That really got her going.

It's not an easy decision for anyone facing the removal of hardware. But getting rid of the worst of the pain. I wish you well my friend.

BB

thank you for your insight and yeah the only reason i would do it is to try to be as pain free as possible being 30 y/o and having the option of trying to remove the hardware with the hope of a pain free life is worth the try rather than having the pain i have now..ty and take care
SETTLED!!!

I have known a couple people that had Lower Back (spine) fusion Hardware removed. 1 person it did help, don't know the results on the other person. If the fusion is well healed, then yes, harware can be removed. Hardware is in place generally till the area is soild.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

I asked my original surgeon about removing the hardware in my neck cause it impairs my swallowing. He never would directly answer my question. It wasn't until 2 years later that a different surgeon told me that my fusions had failed.

They would need to take the hardware out, put in new bone grafts, and more hardware. Fortunately the original surgeon had his medical license taken away.

I'm still screwed up, literally.

Stiff, sorry to here of the failed fusion. I wonder, can't you get this re-done to where you would be much better off and have a safer cervical spine?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Counterfeit Hardware kev_b 11 9,172 08-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Last Post: jayne
  hardware injection inpainokla 10 16,415 05-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Last Post: bear31255
  2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware ttguns 14 16,927 04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Cervical_Fusion
  Anyone had 2level discectomy w/fusion and hardware settlement? ttguns 4 17,003 02-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Last Post: tpm
  2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware ttguns 1 4,398 02-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Last Post: 1171
  hardware injection inpainokla 8 8,657 01-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Last Post: inpainokla
  how long b4 i can work after hardware removal? buildergirl1973 8 10,915 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Tuffy