Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help
Poll: Do you believe there is a Worker's Comp Blacklist that negatively effects injured workers?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potentialy Blacklisted?
Question 
Is there any way potential employers have access to the names of people that have recently received worker's comp benefits?

I ask this because I have been searching for a while now, I know the economy is bad, but every time I get close to a job usually after the 2nd interview, I get the cold shoulder from potential employers.

They start off very friendly then all of a sudden.....nothing. I have crazy experience and almost finished with my degree. I've applied to places that are WAY below what I'm qualified for as well as good matches.

Then it donned on me, maybe they have a way of knowing that I'm a injured worker who received comp benefits?

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks!!!

If this is happening then it wrong and should be stopped and if I found out it was happening I would be looking in to it in as a possible legal issue if you could prove it.
Each day is not a rite,it's a given.

Sure they can find out. It isn't hard at all.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

This happened with my sister.

She worked in the aircraft industry for 15 years and was injured on the job.
She received the max settlement amount allowed by law in our state.

When she called HR about returning to work she was told not only would she not be returning to work for her employer; she would never work in the aircraft industry again.

And she hasn't.

I am basically black-listed in our area when it comes to hospitals. Doctors talk, scrubs talk, nurses, it gets back to HR. Never made it to ANY interview, even for sitting work, for jobs I'm very qualified for.

Seems to me that if you are injured.... by Simply going to an interview, is enough evidence for the interviewer to realize 'you are hurt' . You may limp, not use an arm, can't turn your head, sit down like a person with a back injury...etc. It's obvious IF you are fortunate enough to even get an interview.

I worked all my life, and was always an excellent employee. Then suddenly, after the injury....I was not even considered (apparently) for any job....as the interviews never took place. After 180 resumes sent out..only one responded. HUH?
Prospective employers MUST look at some sort of list or something.
Aren't there any HR people on this forum, who could answer this question?

Lilly
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

There is a number of ways that employers and their insurers can get information on you.

One is Medical Information bureau (mib.com) or (men in black). You can request a copy the information once per year by calling 1-866-692-6901. This a insurance company exchange but if your companies WC service provider checks you out, your WC information is on their report. Insurers report medical information to the exchange and it is used to prevent fraud in the obtaining of medical, disability and life insurance.
This is the service used when health insurance companies do what is called recission of policies. If you have a major claim (such as cancer) they scour your medical hstory to find something that can be called fraud that you forgot to put on your application. Fraud has been anything such forgetting to put acne treatment as a teenager on your app., surgery for club foot as an infant, and even now having been raped is a preexisting condition for turning down an insurance application.

There are also data mining services that collect information for background check. I ordered a copy from the company my former employer used, just to see what was reported. There was nothing about being on WC but it did have my date of report of injury and the results of the drug test that my former employer required when injured on the job. (BTW the drug test was negative) Potential employers can find out a lot about you-that is for sure

For a small Fee (charge) of say $19.00, there are web sites, and computer programs out there, that one can perform Background checks on people. Even many issues of workcomp is Public record, and can be viewed.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

I didn't realize that this whole thing was public knowledge. That seems so wrong. I can understand a company needing that information, but why should just anyone be able to pull it up to view? It seems to me that medical records are not public and this should, apart from perhaps potential insurers, be kept private. It also seems perverse that an injured worker should be further persecuted for having a workplace injury. Does anyone really believe that we intentionally get hurt in order to make a claim? I was already working several jobs just to make ends meet....why on earth would I take the risk of losing any kind of real wage, and in turn loose my livelyhood...including my home. Senseless.

Let's say that companies are blacklisting workers who have been on W/C and not giving them the job if they are disabeled, and yet said worker can do the job.
Isn't that discrimination? I know it would be hard to prove.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blacklisted Lostandconfused 3 927 01-23-2019, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Lostandconfused
  Am I being blacklisted Video Guy 46 36,999 11-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy