Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dumed with Ecoli
Sad 
4 Years ago I was working on a machine at work holding 1000 L of bacterial e-coli. At my own fault, I opened the wrong valve and the vessel emptied e-coli over my entire body. It was horrible. I was sent the hospital and spent 3 months off work seeing psychiatrist and getting on meds for anxiety and panic disorder. Prior to this happeneing I my performance exceeeded expectation based on my annual reviews....

I went on 5 different types of meds and the meds made me tired, I could not focus, concentrate, and my memory was horrible. My next 3 reviews were rated partially meets expectations.

It was hard looking for other positions in the company when my reviews were bad. No one wanted to give me a second look.

I was recently told I need to step up and improve my performance, so without the doctor knowing I stopped 3 of the 5 meds and things only got worse. I started to have anxiety, nightmares, panic attacks and I was fearful working around the equipment. Now I was involved in a incident where an employee was hurt and they have let me go after 8 years of work.

My benefits will stop at the end of the month. I am a single Mom of 2 kids and I do not know what to do!!!!!

I told my Supervisor I was on meds and when he told me to step up to the plate I told him I would stop taking my meds and that my memory and focus should get better. The meds I was taking warned me I should not be working with machinery. I wish I had been more proactive and requested a different job, but there just arent any other jobs available at the plant. I just want to be able to support my kids.

No what????[/color][/font]

so sorry to hear this if your meds said no working around machines why did your job or Doc let you? I suggest talking to your doc about what has happened and see if its a workmans comp issue or just an issue
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Jayne brings up a Very Valid Point. Sometimes when Pressure or Stress Causes a Worker to do Something that Their Meds. or Dr.'s say They Shouldn't, without getting a Dr.'s Input, it could Turn Out to be a Tough Road Battling whether it's a w/c Situation, or the Fault of the Worker Making a Bad Decision. I Hope Everything Works Out for You, and Please Keep Us Informed!Wink

Tragically unfortunate as there is no health risk to an E.Coli exposure after recovery from the immediate exposure and perhaps some early counseling could have avoided all that followed. It just all seems so unnecesary and avoidable on the face of it from my reading.

missmalou
Geez I feel so sorry for you, and I'm sorry for your situation.. I for 1 would also talk to your dr about this, to me you should have not even been working on these meds (around machinery) You DR should have put you on restrictions while taking them, also then your employer either would have taken you on the restrictions or not.. To me it would be a situation as where this is a agravation from previous injury wich caused you to take meds in the first place.. You may want to look into this, Ask your lawyer, if you have one....

I hope you find some kind info to help you here...Take care

Well, it still sounds like a relation to a work comp injury, no matter what. As stated (spent 3 months off work seeing psychiatrist and getting on meds for anxiety and panic disorder). Medical records will be the proof. Being said, contact a very good work comp attorney in your State today, for it's free to talk with them.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Thank you all for your kind words and help. I called a work comp attorney today to see what she thougth and OMG she wants me to gather all the documentaation from the begginning of time to prove I was on WC back when this first happened. I guess It will be a struggle getting all my facts together, but I guess I have thre time.. I kind of felt like she wanted me to do her job.

It has haunted me from day one. One day I was at the gas station and I unscrewed my gas cap and this hissing sound came out and I fainted because it resempled the incident as to when I pullued out the plug on the fermentor. It was very scary. Next thing I know a boy sipping a mega gulp was looking over me.

If anyone has any tips/ thoughts / suggestions I would be so grateful.

it is your job to keep all your paperwork together...always always have a copy of anything you have done.....any phone call any doc visit....his job is to fight for you but you have to give him the tools to do so...good luck
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......