Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indiana Department of Corrections Employment Problems
I am new hear looking for some help mentally and legally.

Here is the story:

Been employed by them for 5 years.

In March I was assaulted by 2 inmates.

Went on workman's comp till around the middle of June, which they stopped as soon as they could. Had some nurse following me to every appointment. Everytime question was "Can he go back to work yet" go figure anyway.

Called work in July they said " After reviewing past medical history we have decided your not fit to be a correctional officer anymore, we are putting you on dissability and you need to look for other work." While doing this they never would state why or what brought this on. After trying a few days to get this evaluation form a psychologist the state sent me to, which I never got because they wouldn't give it to me. I than recieve a call from the Assisstant Superientendant pre deping me (discpline). I ask him under what grounds and he states that I said some things in the psychologist meetings that was grounds for displinary actions. I thought hmm...I thought these were confidential, but I guess not...

Anyway after the conversation he lets me know that I will recieve a certified letter next week. Which will be my termination papers, I am sure of it, just another way for the state to get off easy.

If anyone has any advice they can give me I would appreciate it. Who I can sue, get my dissability pay, back pay, workcomp/insurance pay out. My neck hurts like hell still from the attack and I think my ear has been filling up with water, and really need advice.

I have called every lawyer in the Terre Haute area with no luck and one in indianapolis but want $350 for consultation visit. I haven't been paid in 2 months with nothing it looks in the future.

Sincerely
Fireside

I am sorry for everything you are going through. You might want to look at your state website and see if Indiana(?) has an Obudsman. Kansas has one and they will try to help you with any w/c concerns you have. I wish you the best!

http://www.in.gov/search?q=cache:qKAvrHD...eet=in-gov

Hello Fireside

Are you a state employee?

I worked for Dept of Corrections in my state years ago and was a state employee.

I worked in accounting for KDOC and was also assulted by an inmate,
and yes there are emotional issues that comes with an assult.

As an injured worker you do have rights and it's up to you to protect them. If you do not have an work comp certified attorney you need to find one.

Take the time to explore the links on this web stie (workcomp.com)There are many links that will help you.

Take Care,

Bummer Knees

Thanks everyone for replying to my post helps alot.

Knees, yes I am a state employee well for the next week till I get them termination papers in the mail.

I have called alot of lawyers explained my situation and they say "sorry we don't take on these kinds of cases."

Not sure what to do, sucks I know that. Inmates get off easy with 3 years I heard and I get off with "You need to find a new job". Just another state BS episode.

Sincerely
Fireside

fireside Wrote:I am new hear looking for some help mentally and legally.

Here is the story:

Been employed by them for 5 years.

In March I was assaulted by 2 inmates.

Went on workman's comp till around the middle of June, which they stopped as soon as they could. Had some nurse following me to every appointment. Everytime question was "Can he go back to work yet" go figure anyway.

Called work in July they said " After reviewing past medical history we have decided your not fit to be a correctional officer anymore, we are putting you on dissability and you need to look for other work." While doing this they never would state why or what brought this on. After trying a few days to get this evaluation form a psychologist the state sent me to, which I never got because they wouldn't give it to me. I than recieve a call from the Assisstant Superientendant pre deping me (discpline). I ask him under what grounds and he states that I said some things in the psychologist meetings that was grounds for displinary actions. I thought hmm...I thought these were confidential, but I guess not...

Anyway after the conversation he lets me know that I will recieve a certified letter next week. Which will be my termination papers, I am sure of it, just another way for the state to get off easy.

If anyone has any advice they can give me I would appreciate it. Who I can sue, get my dissability pay, back pay, workcomp/insurance pay out. My neck hurts like hell still from the attack and I think my ear has been filling up with water, and really need advice.

I have called every lawyer in the Terre Haute area with no luck and one in indianapolis but want $350 for consultation visit. I haven't been paid in 2 months with nothing it looks in the future.

SincerelyI can't believe that you would be charged 350 on a workers comp case.Iive in N.J in which they are paid a 20 percent fee.Nothing up front.I would call a big law firm in Indianapolis and get a referal.
Fireside

if you work under a union negotiated contract you should contact your steward. they have access to employment law attys as well as emergency aid for members with financial difficulties.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

The bad thing about Indiana is it is work at will and they can fire you for any reason and I mean any reason bad hair,breath what ever.But it may be in ur best interest to talk to a employment lawyer aout the issues at hand there maybe something they can help you with and as the others said find a wc lawyer now.Best of luck.
Each day is not a rite,it's a given.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Job threatening to terminate employment 241050 11 3,407 02-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Surgery/ Care and leaving employment. Danek1819 3 1,202 01-18-2018, 03:24 PM
  Indiana PPI rating, what does it mean? KimbaWhiteLion 2 3,482 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM
  Medical Record Corrections Shadow 7 3,216 07-16-2017, 11:00 AM
  WKC - termination of employment sbeall 2 1,320 03-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Employment Status While on WC neckpain101 14 7,642 09-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Last Post: neckpain101
  help needed in indiana clymerl 7 5,259 05-20-2015, 11:57 AM
  Employment Law Attorney 052614 1 2,055 11-16-2014, 02:44 AM
  Indiana PPI onocep 23 30,287 06-03-2013, 01:56 AM
  Settlement in CA and future employment jennifernd 7 7,487 05-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Last Post: hamrs_62