Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lien question
Got something odd today. It was a letter from one of my doctors addressed to my lawyer saying that they were giving me notice of lien for payment of my bill with them. It showed the total which is only $160 and then states they are leaving that open for any future charges. First with out this going thru any lawyer is that legal? I'm not worried because I know WC is going to pay this in the end but why would they be they only party doing this?

I wouldn't worry about it. Do you have an attorney? If so call him and give it to him/her, if not call the adjuster and give it to him/her.

yes medical liens are legal.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

just make sure WC pays them
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Got one on the auto accident settlement.

When we settle the lien is paid first, then I receive settlement money.

I received a letter from Medicare with a lein, I gave it to my attorney to handle, it took 6 months for Medicare to send a release letter stating I owed them nothing. Make sure your attorney has copys of all bills and receits of co-pays pertaining to your claim, I was reembersed for all that I had paid out at settlement time.

I'm not worried about it I would think the paper work would have to go thru their lawyer too not just a letter sent from them. It was addressed to my lawyer so I'm sure he got a copym but I will make sure of that

Manley2, go through who's lawyer are you perffering too? A doctor uses an accounting service and in many times they themself have an attorney on retainer, that simply files the paper work for a medical bill lein to make sure payment is going to be made one way or the other. I myself have an unpaid $5,000.00 bill. And we still don't know who is going to pay it. My employer may have been without insurance at the time of this bill. I requested they sue the employer for such bill.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

This is just a letter on the doctor's office letter head is why it just doesn't look legal. I have talked to them many times because they kept wanting me to pay the bill and I'm sure that is how they knew which lawyer to send it to. It's been over a year and a half since I saw this doctor too. I think who ever does the billing for this office just doesn't like having an open bill on the books or something, everybody else I owe money to understands WC and how things work

the lien provides them legal protection as it has to be delt with before the proceeds of any setllement/finalization are dispersed.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Work Comp Lien with Fradulent Amounts samistheman 5 5,649 10-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Sdi lien Lostandconfused 10 2,451 10-28-2018, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Lostandconfused
  attorney lien question (please) moneyisevil 7 3,162 07-05-2017, 10:51 PM
Last Post: TreadingWater
  EDD Lien Against W/C Settlement CaseyandMarie 12 21,936 07-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Toungue Question about year old lien lonelylib81 1 2,253 07-29-2013, 07:52 PM
  Lien on settlement Cookiecrum 5 6,119 08-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Cookiecrum
  Is a Medicare Set-Aside a lien by the carrier? Danabell 12 13,327 06-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Danabell
  medical provider lien interpreter 2 3,011 08-18-2007, 10:31 PM