Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depression Questions
I think depression hits alot of us after an injury and if we cannot return to the job we loved for so many years. You have to make changes you do not want to make cause you enjoyed the way things use to be.

There has been many days I do not even want to get out of bed because of being so depressed. Over the last few months it has only got worse because I have been laid off. Just when I went back to work after my injury and working 1 1/2 yrs. I am let go due to a cutback in the company. I am now waiting to return because the client is requesting that I be their admin. now. It is just taking a long time to hire me through an agency.

I was told from a friend that her doctor said that if you just try to get up and take a shower every morning it will help with your depression. Just to functionally get up and shower. If you sit around all day and think about your injury I think it will make you worse. You need to get out and keep your mind off your pain/injury. That is why when you are injured they would like you back to work ASAP before you become a chronic pain patient. To always think of pain and talk about your pain is no good. You need to put your mind on something else.

Sometimes medications can cause depression also. I was told that percocets after being on them for awhile can cause depression. I do not know how true this is but I know if you read alot of the side effects of drugs it could say " causes depression". Suicidal thoughts etc. So just be careful and try to take up a hobby or volunteer some time somewhere just to get out of the house. Just that alone could do you a world of good in help towards getting rid of depression. To physically be around people would help also.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Thank you, to so many of you who have replied. I really wanted to know what each of you feel about depression as a consequence of your injury, if it is applicable, and what you are doing for it.

IMHO, most every IW who is out of work due to an injury, especially a life-altering injury, needs to seek some counsel; even if you don't recognize any depression. My problem was I never had depression in my life, and didn't recognize it coming at me like a slow train. All the signs and symptoms were there. Did a doctor mention it to me when I was crying at my appts? No? My depression could have been caught sooner had I recognized it and taken care of it. Maybe, maybe not. It wasn't until I had a full breakdown at work, when that slow train hit me from my blind side, that I could no longer work due to chronic pain (RSD and Cervical Radiculopathy) and by now, actions taken by my supervisor to try and get rid of me. She caused me so much psychological damage that I will never be the same. Major Depression and Anxiety Disorder. Had I been backed up on this it would have helped but no, the lack of support from my peers was devastating and only made matters worse. I was one stupid individual, who put all my self-worth into my work.

I have a lot of advise to give, but this thread is already too long. I've changed. My heart is different and I feel everything.

So take care, seek medical advice, take meds when necessary, get psycho-therapy when necessary, get out and get some fresh air, and don't take like as seriously as I do. I care, and I care about each and every one of you. Tongue
Let Go, and Let God......

Chris...please don't think you are in any way stupid. I also defined myself by my job, my work ethic, etc. Why some people do I don't know. Had a boss who had no respect for anyone and co-workers who were always "scared" to speak up. I know how you feel. I still after 3 1/2 years have glimmers of the old. Will it ever go away totally? I hope so. Now I define myself by who I am. I stay to myself much more than I ever did but this is better for me. There are times I walk around let's say a shopping center and talk to everyone. I most of the time prefer the distance of stangers. A little chit chat and no one ever gets hurt. I'm very sensitive and have learned to like that aspect of me because I am also very sensitive to others. Hard getting to know oneself at 55. With every breath I remember what 's wrong with my body but really try to forget I have Major Depressive Disorder and PTSD. My depression comes and goes when I least expect it. The triggers of my PTSD I have learned to live with and recognize. I'm glad I retired. It was the best thing I could have ever done. I hope one day you feel the same.Smile

Hello everyone,

I am going to discuss some tips to reduse depression.

1. Do not read newspapers.

Newspapers publish negative stories most of the time. Even in peaceful periods, newspapers will find the worst in humanity and place negative stories on display in order to promote sales and subscribers. Stories focused on War, rebellion, death, destruction, doom and despair abound in the newspapers.

You will not miss any news. Friends, family, and your local air raid siren will keep you informed if your attention is needed. Only pay attention to the things you can control in your life.

Stop reading the newspaper and reduce the negative input to your brain.

2. Turn off your television.

Watching and listening about the horrible economy and the losses associated with War will add to depression. In fact, you guarantee the feeling of helplessness. Helplessness allows depression to nurture. If you really need to watch or listen to these kinds of news stories, promise yourself you will bury yourself in the documentaries that are sure to follow in the next 5 or 10 years. A way you can eliminate most of the negative input to your brain is by setting it aside for a date somewhere in the future. I guarantee in the future, you will not find it very interesting.

When visitors come to your home, make sure you turn off your television and keep it off. News television broadcasters are fighting for your guests' attention as they promote despair, war, death, and destruction with many headline news interruptions. Those little banners that run across the bottom of the screen achieve your attention and they take hold of your consciousness. Television will diminish your positive spirit.

You are right about TV. They have several shows but one I think is the worst is that repo show. Why in this day and age do poeple want to watch other people's cars getting repoed. More then half the country is just getting by right now. How could watching this make anybody but the rich feel good

I have battled with depression on occasions since my injury. Finally three months ago I went to the doctor and talked about how I was feeling. She put me on Cymbalta....unfortunately I got a UTI from that medications. Then I had to fight with w/c to pay for the blood tests and the meds to treat that. They felt it wasn't related to the injury. But with the pain that I got from the UTI.....I gave up being depressed. The UTI pain was far worse than the depression. I still go through ups and downs, but my neighbours keep a watch out for those times and call on me to take me out etc. I am very isolated since I haven't been able to drive since April. Going outside helps a lot. But I risk falling because of pain or the drop foot I have had since surgery...so I keep close. I do fiddle with gardening. And this last four weeks have been canning fruits and vegs with my neighbour and that feels really productive. My next project is sewing some things for my daughters birthday. I am good at that!!!!

I don't know if the bad depression will return. If it does I will go and see the doctor again and perhaps get some counseling since last time the doctor told me that I would probably react badly to any medications for depression. My biggest problem is being out of work for two years now since the injury. I am most worried about getting back into the workforce after this...if I can even get to that stage.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pain-depression tinainky 4 862 01-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Last Post: tinainky
  link between Chronic Pain and Depression 1171 5 5,201 08-02-2014, 01:38 AM
Last Post: 1171
Exclamation Feel like I do not have any hope/depression 052614 42 31,372 06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
  depression added to injury amysue69 2 3,891 02-12-2014, 12:05 AM
Last Post: chrischris
  Injury, Narcotics, Depression sparkey 33 27,943 08-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Treeburn
  Percentage herniated discs w/depression NJ samistheman 7 12,843 12-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Last Post: samistheman
  Depression...Need to talk! BamaJ 16 10,537 08-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: chrischris
  Can I Get PTD For Major Depression? lefty 4 11,119 04-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Last Post: bagpussinamerica
  Can depression treatment interfere lanna 17 15,914 04-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Last Post: bagpussinamerica
  depression rhonda53 6 5,602 09-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Last Post: 1171