Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can They Do This?
As posted earlier I injured my lower back in February this year..have been on light duty answering the phones since then...and finally got approval for back surgery last week. At one point they moved me to being a door greeter then all of a sudden said that I couldnt do that because my light duty restrictions wouldnt allow that. Now again all of a sudden they put me back as door greeter last night (because they are short staffed) for four hours and it killed my back to stand that long. This morning I called and talked to a manager and then my claims manager and got nowhere. I feel like I have nowhere to turnm and that they are just trying to get me to quit. How can they at one point say I cant do it because of my restrictions and then all of a sudden change their mind when they are short staffed? Is there anything that I can do or do I just have to suck it up and suffer through this????

Please, please don't just suffer through it. I know the fear of losing your job BUT also it will hurt your case to ever work outside of your restrictions. Please if the manager ever tells you to work outside of your restrictions again don't. See your Dr. again and se if he/she can put you out of work if they have nothing for you. Do you have an attorney? If not I would get one. Please most importantly never go outside your restrictions and risk hurting yourself and your case.

I would look into hiring an attorney. These people are not interested in whats best for you only whats best for them. My employer once tried to make me do something i knew i physically could't do. I refused, they threatened to fire me and told me i was commiting an act of insubordination, i reminded them that i got hurt on the job once and wasn't doing it again. Well don't know how but i'm still employed there. And havent been asked to do anything i can't do again.
DOI-Jan 2009. Bulging discs at L4, L5, L5-S1 putting pressure on nerve. Also have tear in tissue at same location. Also told I have Degenerative disc disease in that same location as well as in my neck and thoracic spine although those are unrelated to the injury according to the doctors.

You can alwatys walk off the job due to medical conditions and let the dr. know what going on. If you dr. is like mine, you may be pulled from work completely.

Take Care
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Tell the doctor exactly what happened. Sounds like a work related "aggravation".