Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medicare and supplemental
Hello, Everyone,
I am eligible for medicare part a and b as of June 09 and now trying to shop for supplemental insurance and I am confused.
I know it is different for each state what type of plans are available, but most of them are similar I am sure. I am just very confused what to choose.
Does anyone have any advice how to choose? Medicare sent me this booklet about Medigap which didn't really help as there is no specific information about the plans. Now they tell me, they also have the so called Medicare Advantage Plans and 120 different types available in my state.
I get really frustrated when I go on Medicare website trying to research all these plans. I called a few, they either want me to sign up right away or too expensive like AARP. Also as I found out, rules are different for people under 65 and many plans are not even available for us.
I am in Washington state and I also learned, many of the doctors wouldn't take some of the plans or even the medicare.

Thanks.
Kat

Always ask your doctors office, for they will and do know.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

I don't know how old you are, ? 62 or older? If so you can go to a senior center and they can give you the info you need and help you make a decision. They are very helpfull. Even if not yet 62 they may be able to direct you in the right direction.
If you call Medicare direct, they may be able to answer your questions.
If you are considered low income , you may not even need a supplement, you may be able to apply for medicaid.

when we chose Mom and Dads we spoke to their Drs office while they couldnt tell me which plan but they did tell me which were the top 3 for the problems Mom and Dad had...we then spoke to the drug store and they told us which plans would be the best for the drugs they needed.....but it still isnt cheap by no means both my parents pay over 200 dollars each for their plans
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

As far as Prescription Coverage, even though I'm only 47, (44 when Eligible) being Disabled allowed Me to get the AARP Plan! It has been Great, My non w/c Meds. Total Approx. 600.00 per Mo., and I Pay around $90.00 on Co-Pay! I'm Very Happy with it! I had an Ear Surgery in 5/08 that Cost $27,000.00 and I only had Approx. $1,000.00 Total Co-Pay for that! I am Well Pleased with Everything so Far!!Wink

Still in Limbo, I know AARP is the best but I just can't afford them. I don't really need to see a doctor regularly or take any medication, I just need office visits once in a while. I was also wondering, do Medicare pay all your injury related medical at least until you are settled?

Tuffy, I called Medicare several times, they are sending some pamphlets, will take several weeks. They also told me, they can't really help as there is 120 Medicare Advantage plan available in my area in addition to at least 60 Medicap policies, too much to go over. Also everyone's needs are different, they advised I visit their website which I did, and that's how I got even more confused.

Thanks for your inputs.

Kat

Kat,
Have you thought of just using Medicare and letting them make the choice of ins plans and you paying the co-pays, If you don't need meds or Dr's often it may be cheaper for you. As I said before go to a senior center. That is where I got my information, they work with you one on one and really help.

Kat, w/c is still Paying My Work Injury Costs, I have not Settled Yet. AARP has a Plan Based on Income, just Contact Medicare and Ask them about it, My Dear I only Pay less than $10.00 per Month for My Plan, as I Fall within Their Guidelines. Please Check into that!!Wink