Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurt LPN in CT needs advice please
I am an LPN in a hospital in CT. On May 9, I was applying a dressing to a very large patient (on his side) with the aid of CNA's. The patient began to slip and I braced him with my right arm, wrenching my shoulder. This was at 2pm, my shift ended at 3. I filled out an incident report and with some pain finished the remainder of my shift. After work I went to grab something to eat with a co-worker and then to a craft store to pick out some fabric. While at the craft store the pain began excruciating, radiating down through my right arm. I had my co-worker drive me to the ER, where I was treated for a shoulder sprain and released. The next day I was called in to see the hospital doctor and was told I was fine and to return to my next scheduled shift, meanwhile with electric radiating pain. I was told not to get a second opinion from my primary care physician because that would be insurance fraud. I went anyway and after describing my symptoms was written a note excusing me from work. I was then referred by my hospital to workman’s comp Trust, who referred me to an occupational health center, where I was referred to PT. The pain worsened. Finally the OH center ordered an MRI, which showed cervical foraminal stenosis caused by a bulging disk. I was immediately ordered to a neurosurgeon who took a look at the MRI, examined me and recommended immediate surgery to prevent further nerve damage. Surgery was scheduled for two weeks later. Until this point workman’s comp had been admitting culpability, I had been receiving medical, prescription, and 75% pay. Everything stopped after the surgery was ordered. Medical, prescription, pay. Everything. I have retained a lawyer and am scheduled for a deposition. My surgery has been postponed indefinitely. Workman’s comp is now saying the injury did not occur on site. I have no money coming in. I am in a panic, I feel like I am being put on trial. My co-workers are being interrogated. My care has been postponed and my symptoms are worsening. If anyone has any advice please share…

welcome to our world....its a shame they are allowed to do this and get away with it isnt it
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Also the workman's comp has asked for a list of every medical record since 1998.

thats pretty normal some on here dont mind some do I was one of the ones who felt my labor and Del and how many UTIs I had had was non of their business ...so I wrote on the release for the cercical and lumbar areas only the rest was my private business
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Jayne please explain, I already provided a list to my attorney. What about HIPPA? Can I say no? If so will I be punished?

Welcome to the forum.

The wc insurance company has a right to your medical records.

1171 can explain more.....

Who (or what) is 1171?
What is my recourse? How can it work like this? I just don't understand. Does anyone have any experience in this particular situation?

Hipaa has an exception for workers' compensation. it is not illegal to provide a medical history to the work comp carrier. Legal discovery --which is why you are scheduled for a deposition-- is allowed to help determine causality.
since benefits are currently being denied you are entitled to receive treatment from your health care provider. once a determination is made they can be reimbursed by the comp carrier.

you can get more information from the state website
http://wcc.state.ct.us/

HIPAA info
http://www.wcc.state.ct.us/memos/2003/2003-04.htm
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

lpninct Wrote:I am an LPN in a hospital in CT. On May 9, I was applying a dressing to a very large patient (on his side) with the aid of CNA's. The patient began to slip and I braced him with my right arm, wrenching my shoulder. This was at 2pm, my shift ended at 3. I filled out an incident report and with some pain finished the remainder of my shift. After work I went to grab something to eat with a co-worker and then to a craft store to pick out some fabric. While at the craft store the pain began excruciating, radiating down through my right arm. I had my co-worker drive me to the ER, where I was treated for a shoulder sprain and released. The next day I was called in to see the hospital doctor and was told I was fine and to return to my next scheduled shift, meanwhile with electric radiating pain. I was told not to get a second opinion from my primary care physician because that would be insurance fraud. I went anyway and after describing my symptoms was written a note excusing me from work. I was then referred by my hospital to workman’s comp Trust, who referred me to an occupational health center, where I was referred to PT. The pain worsened. Finally the OH center ordered an MRI, which showed cervical foraminal stenosis caused by a bulging disk. I was immediately ordered to a neurosurgeon who took a look at the MRI, examined me and recommended immediate surgery to prevent further nerve damage. Surgery was scheduled for two weeks later. Until this point workman’s comp had been admitting culpability, I had been receiving medical, prescription, and 75% pay. Everything stopped after the surgery was ordered. Medical, prescription, pay. Everything. I have retained a lawyer and am scheduled for a deposition. My surgery has been postponed indefinitely. Workman’s comp is now saying the injury did not occur on site. I have no money coming in. I am in a panic, I feel like I am being put on trial. My co-workers are being interrogated. My care has been postponed and my symptoms are worsening. If anyone has any advice please share…