Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MMI with a Spinal Cord Stimulator
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and am hopeful someone will be able to offer up some insight as to what I can expect in the coming days and weeks.

First some background: I am 45 year old male from the wacky state of California. Up until 03/02/008, I was a police officer. I sustained a severe injury to my left leg during a struggle with a suspect who was wanted on a felony warrant for drug sales and possession. After nearly 18 months and five extremely painful medical procedures, I was diagnosed with CRPD and had a spinal cord stimulator implanted on 05/05/09. Thus far, the implant has worked as advertised...I achieve about 55% pain reduction...the other 45% is managed through medication.

Just this past Tuesday (06/30/09) my primary doctor rated me at 41%. Three other doctors (including the one the IC forced me to see) agreed with this finding.

Since my scs trial procedure totaled $21K and my scs implant came in at $92K, can anyone tell me if they think 1) Will the IC contest the findings thereby forcing a possible trial? and 2) What do you think my case may be worth in terms of a settlement?[/size][/font]

Sorry to hear about your injury but glad they have been able to help you reduce the pain. My wife and I both have SCS, the price out there is alittle cheaper then it was here. I can't give you any real answer on your settlement amount but the IC can and do fight just about everything. But if the doctor they sent you to agreed with the others they might not have alot of room to fight it unless they pay for another doctor. Somebody should be along that can maybe give you a better answer but I just wanted to say good luck.

Welcome Jenco!! I don't have the Answers for You, but wanted to Jump on and let You know there are Some Here that can Actually Navigate the Ca. w/c System, it's a Tough State!! Sometimes on the Weekends, especially this being a Holiday One, it may take a Short while to get Your Answers Addressed, but I'm Sure Someone will be On!! Happy 4th!!!Smile

Thank you so much for your replies and the encouraging words. I am hopeful that the end is near and I will be able to turn the page on this wc nonsense move on with a life after law enforcement. Thanks again and HAPPY 4TH.

if the rating is not disputed by any medical evidence there is no reason not to stipulate to that rating. I suspect however that you might not return to that employer an your atty will push for a lumpsum buyout (C&R).
If there are no apportionment issued you can check your PD amount here
http://www.pdratings.com/2009pdchart.pdf
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Hello everyone. It has been a few weeks since my last post and your replies were well received and appreciated. However, just today (07-25-09), I received several notices from the W/C I-C informing me of several things, the most note worthy ( and down right confusing ) of all of them pertained to their disagreement of the Permanent and Stationary findings from my primary physician. I say down right confusing because they are contesting his conclusions about my percentage of permanent disability as well as his findings regarding my future medical treatment needs.

Dr. Clark indicated that my SCS will have to be replaced every 7-10 years per the guidelines set forth by the FDA. Also, since the I-C approved every medical procedure Dr. Clark requested, included the SCS trial and implant, it just seems out of whack that they would now be contesting his findings.

Can someone please help me make some sense of this. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!

First off, I am glad the the SCS is working for you. You must have a different model. than me. Mine needs to be replace every 4 to 5 years.

Second, It is all about the money. Not you. Well, let me rephase.They are looking at the money first and you second. That is the only thing I can think of. At this point you need to remain as strong as can be and be patient. The wheel is turning and now you need to keep a stong mind and see were it stops.

Take Care
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Stall tactics as usual . If they set you up with another IME, be sure to ask for identification from the Dr and his specialty. Also be sure to take a friend in the exam room who can write everything the Dr does step by step. they love that . Also have an appt with your Dr scheduled for right after the IME exam so you have a report with his opinion on file . Good luck , hope everything works out in your favor !
7 Yr survivor of the NY State workers compensation system

Thank you all for your responses. I will try to keep you posted as details become available. THANKS AGAIN

Big Grin 
Hello everyone!! I happy to report that my attorney was successful in negotiating a settlement in my case. The settlement includes a lump sum cash amount along with life-time medical treatment as my scs will require maintenance and replacement every 7-10 years. It was a hard fought battle. California's w/c system is a mess with most of the truly injured workers being treated like common criminals.

I wanted to thank everyone for your kind words and assistance.

Take care.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the risks of spinal cord stimulators California_Help 0 89 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Spinal cord stimulators come with risks California_Help 2 336 04-01-2019, 07:38 AM
Last Post: tbear6410
  Spinal Cord Stimulator peanut222 12 14,345 01-27-2019, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Tony890
  Spinal Cord Stimulator Cervical_Fusion 21 20,251 09-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: 1171
  CRPS I & II & Spinal cord stimulator Sithie 7 5,886 12-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  Need advice on getting a spine stimulator implant tpm 12 8,636 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Last Post: tpm
  spinal cord stimulator backpainfla 13 16,457 11-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Last Post: backpainfla
  Spinal cord stimulation grumpyone 42 37,662 08-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Last Post: jayne
Rolleyes Does Spinal Cord Stimulation work? Sunshine7 24 29,138 02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Last Post: AQA
  Spinal cord stimulator kytyki 6 7,534 01-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy