Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
occupational disease
I hurt my shoulder at work and was on comp (totally out of work) for about 8 weeks. Strained my shoulder and found out i have bone spur and arthritis there,(dr said it was due to repeditive motion)I went back on sedentary duty and am waiting on approval for surgery.Anyway,i have had problems with my hands and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrom.I have in the past 6 mos had problems with my knee and hand due to ortho arthritis. my question is how do i file for occupational disease so i am covered for the future if i have to be out of work .I am not out of work for my hands nor have i claimed workers comp for them.I did hurt my right hand and my knee years ago at work ,have a report on it but never claimed comp for it.I have been in food service for 16 years and O.A and C.T.S are listed as a disease for my occupation.
F.Y.I i live in the state of connecticut. Thanks in advance for any advice

you must go to the doc and he has to tie it to your job then file the proper paperwork
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Are they sure you have CTS? I also suffered a shoulder injury and have horrible problems with the hand on that side. I do no t have CTS. It is all coming from my shoulder. Maybe a second opinion isin order before you make another move. Then even if you don't feel you need an attorney I would consult one so you know you are going in the right direction. Best of luck.

you have to file a claim when you are injured. you can't file for a future injury.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

you misunderstood,i know i cant file for future injury. I am getting alot of arthritis that stems from my occupation,hands,knee ect...
how do i tie it all in with comp so work is responsible in the future if i need surgery. They just authorized the surgery in my shoulder to relieve the pressure in my shoulder.Should i flie for my wrist and knee even though i am not missing work for it at this point?

As Jayne Mentioned, if Your Dr. can Tie the Issues You are Discussing with Your Job and Injury now, they can be Added. I don't think Any Dr. will Say that there May be Future Damage due to Arthritis and Repetitive Motion. You should be Discussing with Your Dr. the Issues You are having, and Ask if They can be Added to Your Claim now. If the Dr. doesn't, then You will have to File a New Claim Later. My Best to You, and Have a Great Day!!Wink

P.S.-Just as an Example, I have Failed Back Surgery with Severe Scar Tissue Issues, and the Arthritis in My Lower back has become Severe, due to the Injury, therefor the Advance in the Arthritis is Directly due to My Injury, thus Covered. That May give You a Better Understanding of what We are trying to Say!!Wink

medical evidence is used to support benefit decisions. If you believe there are other conditions related to your job duties or the work injury you need to have your doctors put their opinions in writing.
If it's denied or refuted by the carrier you can appeal to the work comp court.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Kallico---you have a few things going on. It sounds like your shoulder is all set. Do you have a VA estalishing compensability for that? Make sure you do.

As for the CTS you are probably okay there. Properly file a 30C with your employer and the WCC

The knees may be more troublesome. I think you may want to consult an attorney to review the exact fact pattern to see if you are okay or out of luck on that.

Jim

I think if you have CTS you need to see a neurologist and get a EMG done to see how much nerve damage you have. Sometimes people can go to therapy and try other alternatives instead of getting the CTS surgery. They will exhaust everything before they decide to do that.

As others have said, you need to get this in writing from your doctor that your work caused this. I had recurring carpal tunnel 10 yrs. after my surgery and now have been diagnosed with RSD. No doctor will touch me to repeat the CTS surgery and now they want to implant a spinal cord stimulator in my body. I prefer not to go this route and have to deal with this pain on a daily basis.

Sometimes surgery is not always the answer. If you can brace it and have PT and cortizone shots and they work it would be a whole lot better than going the surgery route. Most CTS is covered by WC due to a work injury so I do not think you will have trouble filing that in your claim. Especially where your job causes repetition each day. Good luck.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

I would report it as soon as possible it is no different in reporting an injury. In some states there are time limits to report. get a lawyer it will be handled better and not sure how CT is but here in NY they try to deny everything!! I am just had a decision overturned with my arm. so now I am just starting to get treatment for my O.D. not what the end all be all will be but I am in pain and am hoping that it can me repaired (epicondylitis) good luck hope someone from CT comes along to answer your question SmileSmile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  occ lung disease in ca christofear 86 36,719 09-07-2021, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Sweet Bonanza
  Occupational Disease Mms482 2 2,514 02-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: 1171
  occupational permanency exam angel1954 2 4,013 09-24-2015, 11:11 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  New York State occupational lung disease weldonSC 12 18,060 08-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Last Post: weldonSC
  Graves Disease Tuffy 16 14,701 02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNvic
  Occupational Disease case settled in 2000 need medical treatment littlefoot2020 2 6,890 07-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Maxi
  Kienbock's disease nauticalgurl1 3 7,437 04-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Occupational Disease foolinsc 3 5,255 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Last Post: cindy1sttimewc
  When injured at work, request to be seen by a doctor of Occupational medicine Bad Boy Bad Boy 11 15,843 08-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
Question Occupational Medicine? Injured@Work 6 8,057 08-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Last Post: sparkey