Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
beginning stages, what's the drill?
Hi, I am in CA and posted earlier today regarding having been been diagnosed with CTS and "tennis elbow" tendonitis.... I have been experiencing serious pain in my right arm, particularly my elbow. It is painful such that I cannot raise a glass of soda without whincing and I often drop things from my right hand because I have lost strength. I feel the pain throughout the day and it affects my ability to sleep as well. I have never had any experience with Workman's Comp and I am asking please for some guidance on how the process works... While I have verbalized my issues to my employer, I have yet to file an official report/claim. Once I do this (if I do), what changes at the workplace?

The diagnosis I received came from my neurologist (I also have MS, which was diagnosed in 2007, but my doctor and I agree we are clear this is not MS-related). What confused me, however, was that when I asked my doctor about the injury being work-related, she seemed to dismiss it, saying we do repetitive functions throughout the day both at work AND at home. While I agree with her on one level, I also know deep in my heart that it was not my channel-flipping nor my carrying bags from trips to the grocery store that has been the main contributor to this ailment. Because of my MS, furthermore, I am also not going to be found on the tennis courts or out trimming bushes in my backyard. I simply do not have that type of endurance.

I would appreciate any feedback or advice any of you who have experience with this process can give me. Thank you very much.
As Dora says, "...just keep swimming, just keep swimming...."

mmmmmmmmmm dont know the answer..but Red1030 is a RN and also has MS she may be able to answer your question
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Hi AC...welcome to the forumSmile

It sounds to me like the MD you saw, doesn't want to get involved with WC....that's why she didn't come out and say it was most likely caused from repetitious movements from work.
Did you happen to stick up for yourself and argue that point during the visit?

Once you file WC and it is accepted.....your present job is only protected for 12 weeks. After that you can be fired, replaced or whatever they please.
If you are released back to work by the MD, to light duty...your company may offer you light duty work that falls within your restrictions...if they have no light duty work....they do not have to bring you back. WC pays for your lost time from work.

Lilly
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Thank you Jayne and Lily for your feedback and for welcoming me to the forum.

Lilly Wrote:Hi AC...welcome to the forumSmile

It sounds to me like the MD you saw, doesn't want to get involved with WC....that's why she didn't come out and say it was most likely caused from repetitious movements from work.
Did you happen to stick up for yourself and argue that point during the visit?
Lilly

Lily, I believe you are correct, my MD is shying away from any involvement with WC. I had a nerve conduction test today and we discussed it further. The test revealed carpal tunnel nerve damage, but nothing that related to the pain in my elbow. She referred me to an Orthopedist for that, and I have an appointment set up for next week. I guess I am concerned because if I file a claim and it is accepted, am I "cutting off my nose to spite my face", so to speak, by sticking up for myself and holding the workplace accountable for my injury, but then ultimately putting myself in jeopardy of being fired? I want the company to pay for my medical expenses and loss time from work because I feel the claim would be valid, but by doing so am I cutting my own throat? Is the benefit worth the risk?Rolleyes

Well, possibly you may just want to turn this in on your regular insurance...get the problem fixed, and get on with life.

Lilly
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Workers Comp is a hellish nightmare ! It doesnt just affect you. It affects everyone in your life. If it were me , i would file it with my regular insurance and get on with life. You will find that 1 out of 2 Drs wont get involved with workers comp.
7 Yr survivor of the NY State workers compensation system

Thank you both Lily and Oblivyous - - After careful thought, going with my regular insurance is probably what I am going to do. It does bother me, though, on a moral level that companies get away with causing such injuries without having to be accountable simply because the injured party is overwhelmed/stifled by fear and uncertainty. The system really stinks!

oblivyous Wrote:Workers Comp is a hellish nightmare ! It doesnt just affect you. It affects everyone in your life. If it were me , i would file it with my regular insurance and get on with life. You will find that 1 out of 2 Drs wont get involved with workers comp.

so far WC has not been a nightmare for me. I also had carpal tunnel and employer did not object to my claim at all. I get weekly payments. I had the surgery, have been out 5 weeks now, but do not feel ready to go back to keyboarding all day. I have a doctor appt next week. Perhaps half days to start but i don't know if even that would feel good enough yet. I am not fooling myself and I may be treated cooler by my employer upon by return but i would not have run it through my personal insurance. why should I? Plus, they sent me a form asking me if this could possibly be work related. I did not want to lie.

I work for a hospital but go elsewhere for my medical care. The doctor has never treated me badly and is a respected hand surgeon.

I would say it would depend on how serious the injury is, not saying anyones injury is not serious. But in my case I didnt have a choice it was to severe. But when I goto appointments the DR and Nurses laugh and ask is my second wife attending today, meaning NCM. Although th e way she follows me around maybe she will follow me in the bathroom and wipe it for me.............LOL.

Pro's and con's can go both ways on WC vrs Private insurance.
Think it out clearly.

If it is truly work related, then it should be reported as workers comp. That is up to you to decide. It is true not all doctors want to become involved in reporting a work injury.

I had no troubles after filing a claim for carpal tunnel and upper extremity injury. Medical was taken care of. Employer was supportive, and all was well. I had carpal tunnel surgery, then returned back to work without a hitch except for the nasty NCM who tried to push me back too soon. (another story).

This is the norm. Most injuries are treated promptly and the worker gets better and is able to return to work. End of story.

However, in my case, I developed RSD and ended up with other awful consequences to my first injury. When it became apparent that I was going to be a long term medical case, everything changed. It's all about money.

Just take care of yourself and if push comes to shove and your insurance company asks you if your injury is work related, you need to tell the truth. JMHO. Tongue
Let Go, and Let God......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Stages preframe 1 2,529 05-21-2014, 01:22 AM
Last Post: 1171
  New Questions, still in the beginning Oh so new to this 12 4,848 01-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Oh so new to this
  settlement stages ureraw 17 6,942 01-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Last Post: inpainokla
  In the beginning backache 18 5,527 12-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Last Post: backache