Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone else use regional words?
AQA,

I guess that my fiance just didn't think that was one of the more important ones that I learn right off of the bat ~LOL~

I forgot one other that he taught me before I ever moved down here.
the three mealtimes of the day:
Breakfast
Dinner
Supper

I still get dinner and supper mixed up...after all dinner was the last meal of the day for me for over 41 years. I will probably get it all figured out about the time I get Alzheimers ~LOL~

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

Well I lived in the south growing up when I was little, but born here in New England. When I moved back here about 35 yrs. ago it was the first time I heard the word " wicked ". I had never heard of such a silly word that was used with everything. Such as, " That was wicked good." She was wicked pretty. Etc. etc.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

There are a lot of different words used in South Philly versus in Oregon. For instance for Water south philly says "Wuuuuter." I say Ruff for a roof...and south philly says roof. The funniest thing is what they think about animals...in terms of where they come from. Did you know that squirrels come from eggs such as a robin bird etc. Thanks for the moment of peace and I good laugh reading all of this..love Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

[Image: smiley-31225.png] This one's for you AQA. LOL! We were recently in Las Vegas at the Bass Pro Shop and my husband found a whole rack of red neck t-shirts. He bought 4 of them. Funny!

One of the girls I used to work with always said, "I sort of could". Ok?????
Let Go, and Let God......

i have always been told i dont talk funny its everybody else that does lollol
worry changes nothing prayer changes every thing

In Michigan.....we use the word "POP" for soft drinks too...in Calif they use the word "soda".

We also eat Breakfast, Dinner, and supper..out on West Coast, my nieces think we're weird as they eat Breakfast, Lunch & dinner....and don't even know what the word supper is!! In farm country, we eat supper!
They'll always say "You already HAD DINNER !!??" when you talk to them in the evenings.

It is also interesting if you travel to Europe....we as Americans use ALOT of slang, and i found myself having to explain many of my everyday words (which were slang) to the Germans when i visited once. I learned real fast to try to omit those slang words from my vocabulary in Europe.

Lilly;D
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

I remembered another one...We warsh dishes around here instead of wash them and if there is more than one person they are "you guys" even if they are both women....LOL
GOD BLESS OUR COUNTRY AND OUR PRESIDENT!

Grew up in South Boston, where soda was known as tonic. We also called subs/grinders/hoagies- spuckies! Wicked weird! ( wicked is definitely a Mass/NE thing Sparkey!)

Next door in Rhode Island, milk shakes are called cabinets for some crazy reason. And then we have frappes and fribbles too!

Here in the former French Canadian Connecticut mill town I live in now, old timers say that they are "goin down street to the Walmarts to get a couple two tree of dem der things".

My local gas station.....

[Image: rawwu1.jpg]
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

AQA..that is so cute...Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Sometimes I just don't have the words... monster1963 5 4,736 09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  a few words can make alot of difference jayne 1 3,087 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  bingo words inpainokla 0 3,134 05-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Last Post: inpainokla
  different states different words? jayne 9 18,247 04-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Last Post: inpainokla
  words above avater inpainokla 3 4,783 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Last Post: backache
  Bingo Words mel1980 216 82,879 06-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Last Post: MJC
  The actions & words of our children Bummer Knees 7 6,887 01-13-2009, 01:57 PM