Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sweet sent this to me thought we all should read it
Blood Clots/Stroke - They Now Have a Fourth Indicator, the Tongue

STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters.... S.T.R.

My nurse friend sent this and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree.

If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks.
Seriously..

Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics). She said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 PM Ingrid passed away). She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, S T R. Read and Learn !

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.
T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)(I.E. It is sunny out today.)
R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call your emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other, that is also an indication of a stroke.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Thanks for the Thread and Info. Jayne, and Thanks Sweets for finding it!! I didn't know any of the Tests, now I do!! Thanks Again!!Wink

Thank you Jayne & Sweet tooth for the valuable information.

Thank you Jayne and Sweet Also add to it check Blood Pressure if you can and it the bottom number is greater than 100 then the chance of stroke are higher.
May God send his angels to hold you in his arms

dont thank me it was sent to me by Tuffy if my memeroy serves me right so please thank her i needed it dr says im a prime one for it
worry changes nothing prayer changes every thing

Well I thank everyone for sharing this even though I am fit as a fiddle. Yeah right LOL. Im from Wisconsin trust me were not to fit.

thanks for the great info! i didn't know any of that

Jayne,
Thanks for sharing this valuable info and Sweet for sending it to Jayne. I never knew about checking the tongue. Good info for all. God Bless!

Cajun Hugssssssssssssssssss,
MJC
Lumbar Laminectomy L5 - S1, Lumbar Disectomy L 4 -5, Cervical Microdisectomy C-4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 5 - 6, Lumbar Disectomy, Laminectomy and Foraminotmy L 3 - 4, Cryo Surgery Lumbar. --Ongoing Problems.. Permanently Totally Disabled.

Having been an EMT I am aware of the first three. I didn't know that they had added the tongue. This is very good information to know, as one never knows when a friend or family member might have a stroke and that your knowledge may be what keeps them from suffering irreperable damage, or even death.

Thanks for the info Jayne, via Sweet

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open