Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I covered under WC?
While at work I was walking on lunch break and my back gives out. I started feeling horrible lower back pain and had trouble breathing. I was in pretty bad pain for about 30 minutes and had trouble sitting or taking deep breaths. My initial thought was that It was my kidneys but the medical staff located on my job said it was probably muscular because I felt nothing abnormal while using the restroom. After about an hour and 4 pain pills, my back started to feel slightly better so I decided to finish the last 3 hours of work even though I should have just went home.

The next day I still felt pain, my back was extremely stiff and had no range of movement so I had to call out of work.

Because I called out, I was disciplined for missing work. I also brought up workers compensation to one of my managers and he said the injury was a personal injury and doesn't think its a workers compensation issue.

Is this correct?

I walk all day, everyday at work and I have never had any back related injuries until now.

As of right now I'm still in a good deal of pain and don't really have any idea what caused the injury. Because this injury appeared WHILE at work but not really in the act of a working function other than simply walking, would I be covered for any missed days and any medical bills?

Any useful knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
John

JohnC Wrote:While at work I was walking on lunch break and my back gives out. I started feeling horrible lower back pain and had trouble breathing. I was in pretty bad pain for about 30 minutes and had trouble sitting or taking deep breaths. My initial thought was that It was my kidneys but the medical staff located on my job said it was probably muscular because I felt nothing abnormal while using the restroom. After about an hour and 4 pain pills, my back started to feel slightly better so I decided to finish the last 3 hours of work even though I should have just went home.

The next day I still felt pain, my back was extremely stiff and had no range of movement so I had to call out of work.

Because I called out, I was disciplined for missing work. I also brought up workers compensation to one of my managers and he said the injury was a personal injury and doesn't think its a workers compensation issue.

Is this correct?

I walk all day, everyday at work and I have never had any back related injuries until now.

As of right now I'm still in a good deal of pain and don't really have any idea what caused the injury. Because this injury appeared WHILE at work but not really in the act of a working function other than simply walking, would I be covered for any missed days and any medical bills?

Any useful knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
John

A back injury can be serious. I would seek medical attention and while being seen, I would tell them that it happened at work.

Back injuries do not always show up when the back is injured. It may take a day or to. In my case it took two days and two after that I saw a dr.. As far as the manager goes, the manager is not in the medical profession. If you say it happened at work and the dr. says it is a work related injury. That is what counts.

PS. Workers compensation is state specific, meaning you may want to let us know what state you are in. Also, there is a time limit in reference to filing a claim.

Take care
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

I'm located in Florida and the Injury happened yesterday btw.

If injured my back at work and it was still bothering me. I would seek medical attention ,so I would know what is wrong and get some meds for the pain. If it is hurting to much, I would go to the er. In my case, a week after seeing my dr. I was in the ER having emergency surgery. The bottom of this page shows the procedures that I have gone through because my back started hurting at work. Like I said, a back injury can be very serious.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

The main thing is to take care of your back. It is hard to deal with work and wc when it comes to how it was injured. Take it from somebody that had a work related back injury, the number one thing is to do what it take to protect your back.

Neither employees nor employers get to decide whether a claim is accepted or rejected. It should be reported to the carrier who will look at the medical opinion.
whether your activities at the time were employment related will depend a lot specific facts about where, when and what.
if your doctor thinks it's work related file the clam and let the carrier decide. you can always appeal.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Standing on your feet all day, over a period of time can cause back injuries in many people. As something so strange as prior to being on lunch, could of caused you to even twist wrong, not notice anything at the time, and then later it just flares right up. I would advise the employer to file a work comp claim, have them send you to a doctor, and then let the chips fall were they fall. Treatment now is advisable as quick as posible, for the sooner you get treatment the better you will be.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

The Others above have Given You Great Info., My Opinion, File a Claim and See what the Ins. Carrier Says after they Receive the Medical Evidence! Most Managers will not always give Correct Info. on w/c, Some get Paid Bonuses if they have No Lost Time Injuries during Their Shifts. Listen to the Above Answers, they are All Great, and I Wish You the Very Best!!Wink

Normally, in Florida, an injury is covered if on lunch break but still on the employer's premises. Since the only description you gave was " I was walking on lunch break and my back gives out" That is what could be called an "idiopathic" injury (An injury which is either peculiar to the individual or arising spontaneously from an obscure or unknown cause.). In most cases, this will be contested as there is no medical evidence or proof that this happened in the "course and scope" or is in any way "arising out of" the employment.

John,

Good luck with this! I'm finding out that Florida's laws are very difficult with regard to WC. The investgator I saw today about my case stated that it is almost impossible to get a WC claim in Florida without an attorney.

I wish you good luck, and hope that your back feels better soon!

Gate

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Notice from W/C Medication not covered Babebahn 8 4,060 01-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  MSA projected Medicare Covered Items casual1 1 2,135 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Last Post: dtails
  Complex Meniscus Tear and Arthritis=WC Covered Total Knee Replacement allison 5 17,749 04-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Is any on job injury covered by workmans comp? maxpowers 1 2,898 07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Last Post: 1171
MyBB Help...will this injury be covered under wc? healingnurse 27 17,558 08-31-2008, 03:45 AM
Last Post: sparkey
  Texas Non-Covered Employer - HELP! 8641 3 3,896 07-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Last Post: froglett
  quitting, still covered? paintballpunk 3 3,465 03-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Last Post: paintballpunk
  what is covered by wc cchovanec1@yahoo.com 4 3,463 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Last Post: sparkey
  covered while driving to work manlyman 6 12,905 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Still covered ? Brad 3 3,011 12-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Last Post: AQA