Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinal Cord Stimulator
I was hurt at work last year L5-S1 had surgery last June. Went thru PT and had shots nothing worked. Am on Lyrica and Ultram I had gotten a Tens unit last month and that helps some. Now pain doc is talking about SCS I am seriously going to check it out have a doc appt tomorrow morning to talk about having a trial with it. I am wanting to go back to work I am a truck driver. I live in Maine but the work comp is out of Mo.Just wondering if anyone has success with SCS enough to back to work.

Thank You

mmmmmmmmm several on here have had it and several on here are truck drivers....it may be all day before you get an answer so dont get discouraged.....just read around and you might find your answer or wait they will come on and help...if you will scroll down from this post you will find other posts on stimulators
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

That will be a hard question to answer. My wife and I both have SCS. Depends allot on what your problem is and how well the SCS works for you. They help allot with nerve problems but not others. Ours help us get thru the day with less pain from nerve problems but my wife has so many other problems. Doctors have told her she should not work because it will only shorten the time she doesn't have to use a wheel chair to get around. For me it helps me get thru the day but my employer will not let me return to work with any restrictions, so we are fighting that. Because with my problems I will always have restrictions.
We can tell you that a trial with the SCS will help tell you what it will do for you. It is very simple to go thru and will show you what it will do for you. The perm one will be about the like the trial but can be differant just because they may get it in a differant place. Plus in the trial they tend to not give you much you can change in the settings so it is easyer to understand with little training. Depending on which one you get there are allot of things they can adjust to make it work better for you. Hope that makes since but like I said in the beginning it is very hard to say how well it will work for you. Depends on your problems, and some just don't like the way they feel. I think that just depends on if it helps your pain.

jayne Wrote:mmmmmmmmm several on here have had it and several on here are truck drivers....it may be all day before you get an answer so dont get discouraged.....just read around and you might find your answer or wait they will come on and help...if you will scroll down from this post you will find other posts on stimulators

Thank You

Manley2 Wrote:That will be a hard question to answer. My wife and I both have SCS. Depends allot on what your problem is and how well the SCS works for you. They help allot with nerve problems but not others. Ours help us get thru the day with less pain from nerve problems but my wife has so many other problems. Doctors have told her she should not work because it will only shorten the time she doesn't have to use a wheel chair to get around. For me it helps me get thru the day but my employer will not let me return to work with any restrictions, so we are fighting that. Because with my problems I will always have restrictions.
We can tell you that a trial with the SCS will help tell you what it will do for you. It is very simple to go thru and will show you what it will do for you. The perm one will be about the like the trial but can be differant just because they may get it in a differant place. Plus in the trial they tend to not give you much you can change in the settings so it is easyer to understand with little training. Depending on which one you get there are allot of things they can adjust to make it work better for you. Hope that makes since but like I said in the beginning it is very hard to say how well it will work for you. Depends on your problems, and some just don't like the way they feel. I think that just depends on if it helps your pain.

Thank You for your input the one thing that i forgot to say in my original post was that they said i have scar tissue surrounding the S1 nerve root.If I could even get 5% less pain I would be happy.

If allot of the pain you have is from nerve issues then the SCS may help you allot. I only say may because it can be differant for each person. A trial should show you what it can do for you. And if you have had surgury then this will be no big deal. One thing I've not heard much about is driving with one. The makers say you shouldn't drive with it on but I've never heard anybody say much about it in real life. I think most of the problem is because if you twist or turn right you could get a jolt from it and it could cause you to jump. The way you feel the stim does change with body position but I've not had a jolt from moving. The stim can change alittle as you heal from the implant but not very much our's. Depends on what kind of driving you do. I use to drive tractor trailers and I think I would have problems from the moving you do with the air ride seat, but I don't think the stim would be the problem. It just how I think it would make my back feel becaue I have mechanical problems that the stim just does nothing for.

Just wanted to add that in our implants they feel the are good for you if they help by reducing your pain by 50% or more. Please don't make up your mind on how well it works for you by if you can go back to driving at work. Let how much it helps with your pain decide because you can find other work, and your day to day pain level is far more important. I'm sure you know that but wanted to add this.

I drove tractor trailers as well I was wondering as well nif I do try and go back to work and say a month or so down the road the pain is just too bad what happens am i just out of luck when i talked to my case worker she said that they would not (dr) just through me back into work they would be monitoring my progress meaning work comp and my dr. I just dont know if that is their way to get out of things or not but I would love nothing more than to be able to back to work I am going crazy sitting at home I am used to being all over the place.

peanut please PM Still in limbo.....he was also a truck driver and has problems with scar tissue at that area he will be able to answer your questions a bit more...remember all of us are different...just a question are you a natural red head? as we tend to scar a bit more than others......
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

no i am a brunette but in summer i get alot of red highlights

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the risks of spinal cord stimulators California_Help 0 146 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Spinal cord stimulators come with risks California_Help 2 417 04-01-2019, 07:38 AM
Last Post: tbear6410
  Spinal Cord Stimulator Cervical_Fusion 21 20,543 09-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: 1171
  MMI with a Spinal Cord Stimulator jennco1 13 21,495 06-26-2017, 01:12 PM
Last Post: 1171
  CRPS I & II & Spinal cord stimulator Sithie 7 6,097 12-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  Need advice on getting a spine stimulator implant tpm 12 8,816 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Last Post: tpm
  spinal cord stimulator backpainfla 13 16,680 11-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Last Post: backpainfla
  Spinal cord stimulation grumpyone 42 38,352 08-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Last Post: jayne
Rolleyes Does Spinal Cord Stimulation work? Sunshine7 24 29,423 02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Last Post: AQA
  Spinal cord stimulator kytyki 6 7,631 01-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy