Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help
Poll: what should I do?
call attorney
confront the WC doctor
talk to my HR department about this
see if I can get another doc and hope he is honest
give up and take what they give me
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my WC doctor told me one thing and my boss another. Please give advise
Question 
[/font]The following took place in the state of Alabama. I tore my bicep muscle at work. I did not know any better so I went to an emergy care center over the weekend and saw a doctor on my own dime. He told me I needed surgery to repair the muscle and immediately set me an appointment with a surgen. I called my boss on the next business day and told him the diagnosis, he told me I had to go to the workmans comp doc and to cancel my surgens appointment so I did. I told the nurse at the WC doctors office what the other Doc's diagnosis was but she evidently did not tell the WC Doc what I said. He saw me for less than 10 minutes and said I strained my bicep. At that point I told him what the other Dr said and and he became very disturbed, turned pale and it took him a couple of seconds to gather himself then he said it was a "strain bicep garde 2" (what ever that means). The WC Dr told me he was realeasing me to light duty and said stay right here in the room. I did not know this at the time but while I was waiting on my paper work he called my boss and told him I tore my bicep. Then he brought me the paper work saying I strained my bicep and was released to light duty and made me an appointment to come back in 1 week. He also faxed the same paper work to my boss. When I left the Dr office I called my boss and said "have you heard", he said "yes the doc called me and said I had a torn bicep" at that point I asked him to check his fax machine and told him I would be there shortly. When I arrived my boss was confused as to why the doc would tell him one thing but write another diagnosis down and told me to go ahead and show up for light duty the next day so I left. My boss called me an hour later and said HR did not want me back at work until I saw the doctor again and he released me. I asked him if he told anyone what the doc told him and he said no he did not. He is a very honest man and I believe him.

I guess my questions and concerns are why would the doc tell me one thing and put it on paper then call my boss and tell him what I already knew which is my bicep is torn? Can anyone help me.

Not without speaking to your Dr.

Regardless, there isn't much difference clinically, either way you can't lift your arm and it hurts- right . Both can be torn as well. Working light duty won't make it worse and an MRI needs to be done to really know one way or the other. So I guess one way to answer your question is: who knows, but it really makes no difference. You can try some PT and if that fails to heal the injury then you will be seeing an ortho regardless of what is going on in your shoulder.
Does that sound right ?

Hi,

WC has a sequence they follow for an injury, and call most non obvious injuries,a broad spectrum dx (everything is commonly a strain). It doesn't sound so bad that way, and as Cycler said, you really won't know without an MRI. So unless you have a compound fracture, or are visibly bleeding somewhere...they will first try light duty to let the injury rest & heal, possibly some meds, then injections, and/or PT. If after that you still have problems...then a further investigation into your injury will result (hopefully). Nothing they do is in a timely manner...so be prepared for that.

So, you must do what the WC doc says, and if he released you to light duty, he had to have given YOU AND your BOSS, written work restrictions. Did Doctor inform you what you could and could not do? Such as no lifting, no work above head etc? One cannot refuse to do light duty, you must give it your best try....but when you go to work, follow those restrictions to a TEE (even if boss demands you go beyond them), or you risk non-compliance with WC.
If the pain gets so bad at work you cannot stand it....then ask to see doc again asap, or go to ER.
Good Luck, Lilly
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Hi and thanks for your response, I promise not to bother you too much but my main concern was that the WC doc told me it was a strain but he verbally told my boss it was a tear. Why would the doc tell me one thing in writing then verbally report something else to my boss? Thanks anain.
Lilly Wrote:Hi,

WC has a sequence they follow for an injury, and call most non obvious injuries,a broad spectrum dx (everything is commonly a strain). It doesn't sound so bad that way, and as Cycler said, you really won't know without an MRI. So unless you have a compound fracture, or are visibly bleeding somewhere...they will first try light duty to let the injury rest & heal, possibly some meds, then injections, and/or PT. If after that you still have problems...then a further investigation into your injury will result (hopefully). Nothing they do is in a timely manner...so be prepared for that.

So, you must do what the WC doc says, and if he released you to light duty, he had to have given YOU AND your BOSS, written work restrictions. Did Doctor inform you what you could and could not do? Such as no lifting, no work above head etc? One cannot refuse to do light duty, you must give it your best try....but when you go to work, follow those restrictions to a TEE (even if boss demands you go beyond them), or you risk non-compliance with WC.
If the pain gets so bad at work you cannot stand it....then ask to see doc again asap, or go to ER.
Good Luck, Lilly

Hi again,

Really; no one here could possibly answer that question. Maybe you could get a response from the Dr. himself for clarification ? And again, it really doesn't matter to your claim.

notsure Wrote:Hi and thanks for your response, I promise not to bother you too much but my main concern was that the WC doc told me it was a strain but he verbally told my boss it was a tear. Why would the doc tell me one thing in writing then verbally report something else to my boss? Thanks anain.
Lilly Wrote:Hi,

Good Luck, Lilly

Hi Not Sure, and Welcome to the Forum!! Cycler and Lilly are giving You Great Advice and Guidance. One of the Hardest things about w/c is the Process You have to Follow, and it's takes Patience, Believe Me. Personally I would Follow what Cycler and Lilly have Told You,and give Everything a Bit of Time for Everything to Unfold, and then You will be Better Able to make an Educated Decision on Your Next Step! It's Frustrating, I know, I have been at this going on 5 Years, 12 Hearings, w/c Appeals Board, 2 Additional Hearings on Penalty Petitions, and an Upcoming Appeal to the Commonwealth Court, and I'm Winning My Case! Trust Me I wish it would be Over Tomorrow, but I know Better than That! Best of Luck, and Please keep Us Informed!!Wink

Hi, not sure.........

Just a word of caution. There is a lot of clandestine activities going on behind closed doors that we can not see and if Jehova God were to reveal it all, most of us would be shocked!!!

Just like these ponzi schemes.........like Enron......showing on paper that the company was doing real well, making great profits and encouraging investors to invest in the stock.........all the while the whole thing is on the edge of collapse because of mounting and uncontrollable debt that literally wipes out any capital (insolvent). Then the CEO sells off most of his stock before his company collapses and pockets all the cash and walks away leaving his shareholders and employees with nothing..........no 401ks, no severance, no pensions, etc., etc.

I would not trust what you hear. Saying one thing, but doing another gives enough reason to doubt. These WC docs are told what to do because that is the only way they get paid. I would think that you have a waiting period, say 3 months, and then you can see a doctor of your choice, which you already have of course because you were able to pay for it. Some of us here can not pay for a doctor so we have to wait it out.

Hope you take care of your arm because if you have a partial thickness tear, meaning the fraying of the tendon is only half way through the tendon, over time it will fray more and become a full thickness tear, meaning the tear will be all the way through the tendon and if that is not address, then it may eventually pull completely away from the bone. Partial thickness tears can be treated successfully with conservative measures, however, if you are an extremely active person and your job is physically demanding then you need to have it repaired surgically, or else it WILL get worse over time.

Stay well.

this post modified.......I just realized you said you tore your bicep muscle. Did you tear the muscle or tendon. I am not sure what the protocol is for torn muscles, but I am sure it is the same as tendon injuries (some muscle tears can heal naturally but again that depends on the size of the tear and the extent of the damage.......hence a MRI). I have been doing alot of research on tendons in the rotator cuff because my WC doc says I have bicipital tendonitis......to which I agree (with that part) of the diagnosis because both my biciptal groove (long head) and the short head (anterior) bicep tendon are sore as heck and get aggrevated easily. However, I feel I have something more going on....like soft tissue damage, edema or possibly a SLAP tear (labrum) which only a MRI can show.

Just be careful that you do not aggrevate it any further until you get the right treatment. This is my first time with WC and I have been learning quite a bit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boss denied doctor after injury Sonomaco 1 389 04-29-2019, 11:37 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Attorney told me to cash out claim and use own health insurance wcthaway 2 596 04-18-2019, 11:13 AM
Exclamation Help please Was on light duty wc doctor....new doctor out of work till .. Feelbad 6 1,651 01-25-2019, 11:45 PM
  someone please help me or give me advice newenglandchick 3 6,261 02-19-2018, 12:23 PM
  Do I have to give Sedgwick a recorded statement before seeing a doctor ? 1313 12 5,411 09-24-2017, 06:58 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
  AZ, boss doesn't want to go through WC for my injury, what should I do? TruckerLynn 4 2,116 08-24-2017, 11:36 PM
  Told by new doctor to go exercise? shefallsdown 2 1,454 02-10-2017, 12:53 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  Have to give two statements to WC insurance? mwpdx86 5 2,611 03-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Last Post: RootsGal
  my doctor doesnt want to give me my disability rating backontrack 4 7,905 08-19-2015, 02:01 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  advise on claim oked 2tired2care 3 2,834 07-25-2015, 12:49 AM