Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN with PTSD needs Reasonable Accomodation
CA:
My workmans comp case approved in March 08, after a homicide on the unit I worked. I am the primary witness. I am being forced to go back onto the unit that the homicide occured unless I get a reasonable accomodation. 2 medical doctors have me Diagnosed. I am pending my AME in May. Seeking an alternative work for an RN. I have worked for the state of CA 18 years. Unless there becomes an opening, I go to TTD with less income. Finacial hardship. Can anyone help me with writing an reasonable accomodation request? the language is difficult which include essential functions. HELP Time is Running out

RN in CA with PTSD

1171 may be able to help you.......do you not have a lawyer?
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Welcome chas.

I'm bumping this up for you.

Prayers for you, LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Many public employees in california are part of different union bargaining units. If you are a union member they should be able to help you gain a reasonable accommodation with your agency.
Do you have a copy of your current job description?
You can download standard ones here
http://www.dpa.ca.gov/job-info/descriptions/form.htm
The next most helpful document is a job posting notice or examination bulletin for a position similar to yours. those often state minimum qualifications and required skills and abilities.
http://www.spb.ca.gov/jobs/apply/index.htm
You should be able to use either of those items to help you with a write up.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Hi Jayne,

You referred to 1171. What does this mean? My attorney indicates I half to wait til my AME 4 more months. I would like to return towork sooner, thank you for replying.

1171 may be able to help you.......do you not have a lawyer?
[/quote]

1171 is a very informed, poster's name.
She gave you the links to ck out in her post.

What a horrible and life altering ordeal you have been through...so sorry you must endure.

Lilly.
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

CA Update Chasnrnbos
I have submitted three requests for Reasonable Accomodation for an adjusted work schedule for insomnia and nightmares. Since returning to work, I was forced to return to the same unit as the homicide, and float when finally temporarily placed on another unit above same unit. I have contacted the State Board of personnell, Sam Blakesly office and EEO filing complaints. After 19 years of state service, I lost my reqular schedule because I could not return to the same unit and given a schedule that did not accomodate my PTSD. Fighting for my rights have been debilitating. PTSD has such a stigma. I had hoped that the courage and strength it took returning to work would be acknowledged. Instead, It was not. I hope those who get provide information to others and their families about how lifelong the effects are. For those who have been subjected to any trauma, and continue to be, try to find a support group. There are none in my area. I am yet to go through more trials. I am here for any advice and or references if you need some.

Chasnrnbos@msn.com

chasnrnbos Wrote:CA:
My workmans comp case approved in March 08, after a homicide on the unit I worked. I am the primary witness. I am being forced to go back onto the unit that the homicide occured unless I get a reasonable accomodation. 2 medical doctors have me Diagnosed. I am pending my AME in May. Seeking an alternative work for an RN. I have worked for the state of CA 18 years. Unless there becomes an opening, I go to TTD with less income. Finacial hardship. Can anyone help me with writing an reasonable accomodation request? the language is difficult which include essential functions. HELP Time is Running out

RN in CA with PTSD

My Prayers are with you. Take it one day at a time
Live for Today, Love for Today, Laugh for Today.

CA : Update
Placed back on unit where trauma occured against doctors orders. Exacerbation of symptoms. Now Industrial Disability retired. Any one had the same experience? Is there any legal recourse for this. Due for reevaluation of disability rating. Any one with any help in this area?
chasnrnbos RN retired with Disability

I don't have any advice but as an ER trauma RN, I empathize with you and just wanted to tell you my thoughts are with you.

Good luck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a Reasonable ammount of time fredsong 5 2,481 06-07-2019, 03:46 AM
Last Post: Proud2bme
  Reasonable Accommodation and P&S Proud2bme 9 522 06-07-2019, 12:41 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  Settling Future Medical for PTSD Shortfuse 4 4,997 04-10-2016, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Shortfuse
  Ptsd denied 2015sh 2 1,712 09-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Cali WC PTSD Blushed broken 2 1,812 09-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Where do I go from here PTSD powerfulhurtin' 3 3,773 07-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Milo
  ptsd ? nyyank09 16 12,113 02-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Last Post: nyyank09
  EVERY INJURED ENTITLED TO "REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION" BY THEIR EMPLOYER.... 1171 11 15,286 10-29-2009, 09:51 AM
  PTSD pebbles 12 11,896 08-24-2009, 06:37 PM
  PTSD NannyJ 2 4,758 05-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Last Post: kate