Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injured in Kentucky
Toungue 
Hello to All:
I was hurt in September 2008 at my work place, a women's prison. I was assaulted by an inmate and as a result of the incident my back was injured, giving me a herniated disc. I am in pain constantly and the pain medication just takes the edge off, never taking it away completely. I am unable to stand for more than 15 minutes because the pain in my back makes my legs so weak.
Workman's Compensation denied surgery. I am frustrated because I do not understand what workman's compensation is wanting; what are they expecting to happen?
I have been a nurse for 19 years and I have never thought about changing careers. Now, I am unable to perform any nursing duties. I have been off from work since September and I am waiting to hear from my employer regarding an extension on my FMLA.
I do have an attorney but she is telling me that at this time we are waiting on physician reports.
What can I expect to happen now? I feel like a pawn in this whole mess and it is hard to not get depressed.
Thank you for any answers.

Hi, I am so sorry about this for you. I can not believe that this is happening. I don't understand myself why w/c would deny surgery. I am guessing that something that the surgeon wrote following his review must have given them the impression that surgery would be of no benefit to you. I would think that you need to get another appt to see this surgeon and ask him to be clear about what he is seeing. Is it a mild herniation? Are you restricted from what type of duties you have, who pays for pain killers etc. Seems someone has left you dangling out there. Could you get a second opinion?

I understand the pain you are having, since I have much the same. I trained as a nurse in England, though the qualifications are not the same as in this country. But a note on what you do now, my surgeon wanted me to be vocational retrained up to nurse in this country because he said that there are plenty of "clipboard" nurses needed in hospitals and clinics as well. Could you look into that?

I know I didn't answer your question.....but someone here will. I wish you the best of luck with what seems to be a long journey for you. Keep the faith.

How a case proceeds is largely based on your medical condition. If there is additional conservative treatment available that will contribute to recovery then benefits will continue until recovery is complete. At that time permanent impairment will be rated and additional benefits paid accordingly.
Of course, you can take the denial of surgery to the comp court for decision. Obviously your atty wants to weigh the medical evidence that might be presented before deciding options.
Kentucky has retraining benefits for those that cannot return to their same employment.
You should discuss your emotional situation with your doctor and get a referal for counseling.
You can find out more about kentucky's comp system from their guidebook
http://www.labor.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/898...forweb.pdf
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kentucky Worker Comp Settlement Question josh1985 36 13,761 03-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Kentucky legislation to reduce benefits 1171 1 1,095 04-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Crippled in Kentucky not4you25 14 8,425 09-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Last Post: not4you25
  Kentucky w/c ? also OSHA standards cougarsden 3 3,463 11-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Lilly
Shy Hurt in Kentucky hurt mommy 29 16,538 11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Last Post: hurt mommy
  Are W/C benefits taxable in kentucky/Indiana? cougarsden 2 9,284 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Last Post: cougarsden
  question/indiana/kentucky wc processes cougarsden 13 12,176 10-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Last Post: kate
  Kentucky medicare setaside pending shady 10 9,588 06-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Last Post: lfoster21