Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick question.....
I was recently sent back to work after cutting about 1/5 of my thumb off. I received a check from workers comp a couple weeks after i returned to work, and the "Nature of Payment:" was "Minor Permanent Partial Disability". My question is: How long will i receive this check, a lifetime?

Sounds to me like they paid you a partial permanent impairment award for your loss of your finger. How long were you out of work? Did they pay you while you were out? More info. is needed to let you know if this is a pay off for your loss or if it was payment for time out of work. Depends on what amount etc. Do you have a lawyer?
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

I was out of work for 2 months, and getting paid temp total disability. The unexpected "Minor permanent partial disability" check that i received 2 weeks after starting work was for $460. No laywer. I never had anything like this happen to me before, so I'm really kinda clueless about it all.

Dave, There should have been a letter prior to that payment explaining that it was coming, and giving you information about the total disability amount and how it would be paid. You can call your C/A and ask.
Let Go, and Let God......

Yeah, I did a little research and read that i should have received related info in the mail, yet i haven't received anything about a dollar amount, or payment schedule, or anything like that. I'll call my C/A tomorrow. Thanks

Well it does not sound like a permanent impairment award. It seems you should call to see what that payment was for.

Generally this is a so called scheduled loss award and would be a one time payment. States rules vary but in my state you would sometime later be evaluated for residual permanent impairment and MAY be found to eligible for additional award if there is functional loss as well.

My ex-mother-in-law cut off about 1/4 her finger at work several years ago besides getting the medical bills paid for she got a lim sum of $2000

There is a guy at work just a few months ago that showed another construction worker his thumb and how he damaged it at work years ago. He never once got any money for his scaring and loss of function on the tip of his thumb. He was advised to call his lawyer and when he did they sent him a check for 2,000.00.

If this contractor never mentioned that he should of got something for his finger, I do not know if they would of just let it go? Seemed strange to me that they would just get a phone call and just send 2,000.00 without going through a fight etc. He did have to go to a doctor to determine scar amount, loss of function etc. But got the money within in a few weeks after being told. This was in the state of Ma.

Sparkey et al;

MOst states I am familiar with have comp laws that incorporate what is termed a scheduled loss as I mentioned previously. If you had never sufferred a loss of use or amputation then you would have never heard of it as it is not really ever contested.

There is literally a "schedule" or chart that assigns a dollar amount irrespective of job or wage status, to a body part or portion thereof. It does not need to be measured or examined or given multiple IME's etc. for an amputation, the chart contains the level and a check gets sent out. An exam may be necessary to determine loss of use absent amputation such as with severe nerve damage etc but keep in mind this is all in addition to the permanent partial award process as I understand it as a non-lawyer. YMMV.

Just an FYI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick question from south dakota Dontworryaboutit 8 3,268 03-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Just a quick question missinandre 1 1,699 06-15-2016, 12:02 PM
  Need quick info plz jamief 4 3,756 12-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Quick question about Lumbar injury, rating, and state disability Frayed 17 30,923 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Frayed
  QUICK HELP - work hardening constantpain 4 5,826 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
  Quick update.... ammowoman 4 4,253 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Last Post: BooBoosNeck
Question Med question and a quick catch up Sithie 13 11,789 06-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Last Post: weezle735
  Quick question about a "notice of ability to return to work"? saberee 2 12,532 01-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Quick question kb33dawgs 4 5,105 12-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Last Post: kb33dawgs
  Just a real quick question TiredOfHurting09 13 9,022 09-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Last Post: TiredOfHurting09