Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
correctional officer ptsd
Hi

Just a question for the state of pa people. my husband is a county correctional officer who was assaulted by an inmate. is now suffering ptsd. had an IME and he totally agrees with his regular psychiatrist.
says he should never go back to that enviroment. we are still waiting to see if the county has accepted the claim or not. the attorney said to wait and see if they do and if they do he is going to go after his full pay rather than w/c pay, because of the circumstances related to the incident. my question is, he is loosing his excellent health insurance. has anyone ever come across government w/c cases like this?

thanks
laurie

Maybe the attorney is trying to file a claim with his retirement system instead of WC?

first welcome laurie,my first time here I also came for my husband its a grand place..PTSD is a hard thing to prove mainly because it is being used as a catch all for everything...My Husband is retired military he has PTSD because of the time spent in war zones..the have also hung that moniker on me because of time spent at hostile areas while husband was in service..I simply cannot stand crowds that are not speaking in english....My daughter has it for her car wreak see what I mean its kinds like a cold everyone get labeled when the docs cant seem to fix you......It can be wicked when it hits and then gone for awhile...I have news for you WC dont care if he can go back to that work but if he can go back to any type of work.....if they can cross train him into a job that pays the wage he was getting before then poof they are done......WC is not like most insurance that pays for pain and suffering they only pay wage loss....so if other that the PTSD on that job if they say he can do another at same wage then they are done....on the other hand if they say because of PTSD he cant do any job or just a part time job then they will pay the 66% dollar loss....no settlement for pain and or suffering....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

jayne Wrote:first welcome laurie,my first time here I also came for my husband its a grand place..PTSD is a hard thing to prove mainly because it is being used as a catch all for everything...My Husband is retired military he has PTSD because of the time spent in war zones..the have also hung that moniker on me because of time spent at hostile areas while husband was in service..I simply cannot stand crowds that are not speaking in english....My daughter has it for her car wreak see what I mean its kinds like a cold everyone get labeled when the docs cant seem to fix you......It can be wicked when it hits and then gone for awhile...I have news for you WC dont care if he can go back to that work but if he can go back to any type of work.....if they can cross train him into a job that pays the wage he was getting before then poof they are done......WC is not like most insurance that pays for pain and suffering they only pay wage loss....so if other that the PTSD on that job if they say he can do another at same wage then they are done....on the other hand if they say because of PTSD he cant do any job or just a part time job then they will pay the 66% dollar loss....no settlement for pain and or suffering....
thanks for your support

If this is a PA claim, your lawyer may be looking at “Heart and Lung” benefits which would be full pay.

Tim>>> Do you mind explaining what this is? Although I am done with my claim I am really trying to learn more and more. We've come across a few issues larely that I have never heard of before and am curious/would like to know more.

Thanks.
Capricorn

Heart and Lung benefits are similar to WC, but it grants full wage and a continuation of employee benefits to eligible injured workers. These benefits are available to important public safety personnel such as state police, correction employees, firemen and parole agents. These benefits are separate and distinct from WC. If an individual is also receiving WC, the WC benefits are then turned over to the employer. These benefits are also different in regard to eligibility. For example, under WC if the injury results in a permanent inability to return to work, wage loss benefits continue. Under the Heart and Lung Act this would result in a termination of benefits.

Thanks Tim. Always learning. I never knew there was something in effect for those professions but am glad there is. They must be used to dealing with PTSD as being job related.

Capricorn Smile

You would think so.

CA RN suffering from PTSD
I work for the state of CA (DMH). Diagnosed with PTSD 10 months now. Your settlement will include health benefits and a settlement along with medical retirement ( if the law is the same as in CA). I wish your husband luck. I am not 55 yet and will be forced to go back into the fire still going after 18 years. PTSD is really difficult. The triggers come and go without warning at times. Hang in there, it takes time.

chasnrnbos in CA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA Police Officer Fired before IDR eligal21 4 2,557 05-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Settling Future Medical for PTSD Shortfuse 4 6,598 04-10-2016, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Shortfuse
  Ptsd denied 2015sh 2 2,152 09-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Cali WC PTSD Blushed broken 2 2,341 09-05-2015, 12:49 PM
  Where do I go from here PTSD powerfulhurtin' 3 4,357 07-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Milo
  RN with PTSD needs Reasonable Accomodation chasnrnbos 9 10,991 11-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Last Post: nursedina
  ptsd ? nyyank09 16 13,571 02-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Last Post: nyyank09
  PTSD pebbles 12 12,794 08-24-2009, 06:37 PM
  PTSD NannyJ 2 5,178 05-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Last Post: kate
  RN with PTSD needs Reasonable Accomodation chasnrnbos 3 5,707 02-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Last Post: chasnrnbos