Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medicare question
I have been receiving SSDI for three months short of two years. SSA has not taken any money out for medicare. My two year mark is Febuary. Is this a situation that I need to initiate or will SSA automatically take care of it. And for those that do not know. The cost of living for SSDI and SSI is 5.8%. That takes place for the January payment which will be reveived in Febuary.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Aqa, From what I know about medicare,there is medicare part A and Medicare Part B,There is no charge for Part A,But they charge you for Part B.Do You Have Both?In My Case I Opted For Both, But Then Dropped Part B, I am Still On My Husband's Insurance and Got Any Money Back That I had paid for Part B.Does That Help?
no matter where you're at there you are

Hi there,

I had to sign up for part B which costs a certain amount monthly (@ 80 dollars). I was sent a form in the mail to sign up for it.
Lilly
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

you are not eligible for medicare until 24 months after receiving ssdi. They will inform you when the time is up and you will receive info in the mail.

AQA.......My husband was eligible for SSD and medicare at the same time. Medicare is 30 months after you have been disabled. Since he didn't apply the first two years after he was injured and then was denied by the time he won everything it had been more than 30 months after being disabled so got SSD and medicare at the same time. I haven't applied yet. I intend to in the spring. I should be eligible for medicare immediately if I am awarded SSD because it will be 36 months since I have been disabled. Did this make sense and help any? Hubby has had $$$ for part B taken out since day 1.

CAP

Hi AQA, I Hope You are Well Today!! I have Medicare also, and as was Mentioned Part A is No Charge, but I had to Pay for Part B, and they Will Contact You with All of the Info. when it's Time. You May also want to Speak to them about a Prescription Drug Program, I was Eligible for a Discounted Plan due to My Income, and I Only Pay $12.90 per Month for the AARP Plan Provided by United Health Care, and they have Been Great!! I also Received the 5.8% Increase Letter, and I Receive My Payment on the 4th Wednesday of the Month, and My Letter States that I will Receive My Increase in January. Just My Opinion, You may Really want to Check into the Drug Prescription Program, it has Saved me Over $5000.00 this Year on Meds. that I need over and Above the Meds. I Receive from w/c. And I was Accepted in the AARP Program even though I was only 45 when I Applied, because I am Disabled! I Hope All Goes Well for You. If You want to know More about Your Medicare Eligibility, You can either Call 1-800-633-4227, or log on at www.medicare.gov. I Hope this has Helped, and Have a Great weekend!!Wink

Thank you all for your input. For some reason I thought SSA would staart taking money out for medicare three months prior to actually getting it. I guess now is as good a time as any to start learning about the program and the different parts.

Still in Limbo, I will check into the website and into the AARP. You and I have some similarities in our situation. Both with back inuries, both approved for SSDI in record time.(90 days), and our age. I just turned 42. All I can say is that it is havoc getting old. LOL
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

AQA

I will say, if you know your going to remain on Medicare, is to take the Part B when it is offered. Then have the money removed from your SSDI check. Have your SSDI check deposited right into your checking account. Direct deposit. Check with AARP as Limbo and myself done at one time. But, also check with your State level Insurance, most States have atleast one Insurance Carrier that works with Medicare. You can also ask your main doctor's office who the Insurance Carrier could be, and if they take it. Don't forget to get your Part D Pharmacy plan going also. AARP is one, and also the State Insurance Carrier will have it. All these cost can be removed right from your SSDI, so you won't need to worry about paying them every month. To me that is a God Send not having to worry about paying them bills.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

AQA....my husband took BB's advise and did as him and Limbo did. We checked out AARP which is excellent but in hubby's case he got better coverage for a lower premium going elsewhere. We sent for info from 3 co. and sat and compared before we made a decision. Also checked with our PCP, hubby's ocologist, etc. and that's how we made the decision. Chose one that all of our Dr.s took. Good luck. It's a journey.

CAP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Set Aside question monster1963 15 17,784 02-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Last Post: LeglEgl
  medicare set a side question? Jaycojade 4 5,491 11-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Medicare question capricorn 6 3,922 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Last Post: capricorn
  Question re. Medicare set aside lfoster21 2 3,368 08-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Last Post: lfoster21