Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am on SSDI in Illinois/got injured at work, now what?
I WANT TO SAY, FROM THE GET GO I CONTINUED TO EXPLAIN MY INJURIES EACH AND EVERY TIME I SAW A D.R. , I WANTED TO MAKE IT VERY CLEAR THAT THESE INJURIES WERE THE CAUSE OF MY JOB ACCIDENTS. I WAS FEELING VERY GOOD BEFORE THESE INJURIES, NOW I AM IN PAIN EVERY DAY AND I NEED HELP. I NEED A HELPING HAND IN THIS MESS AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

TO MAKE A VERY LONG STORY SHORT, I DESPERTLY NEED ANSWERS AND I CAN'T GET ANY TRUTHFULL INFORMATION FROM MY ATTORNEY.

I HAVE BEEN ON ILLINOIS SSDI SINCE 2003, DUE TO P.T.S.D, VERY BAD BACK AND TRIED TO KILL MYSELF. I USE TO BE IN A VERY FACED PACE LAW ENFORCEMENT EMPLOYMENT. I WAS THE MAN TO SEE TO GET THE JOB DONE. BUT AFTER SEEING FIRST HAND OF THE DIRTY SIDE OF COPS AND DEALING WITH SMALL TOWN GOVERNMEMT POLICIES, LACK OF PAY AT $9.50 AN HOUR, I JUST HAD TO DO WHAT I HAD TO DO. ANY WAY, I HAVE HAD THREE BACK OPERATIONS WITH THE LAST ONE A FUSION OF THE LOWER BACK, MY FAMILY LIFE WENT TO HELL, I WAS ON THE VERGE OF DESPERET MEASURES AND I SNAPED. I COMMETED MYSELF TO THE MENTAL WARD FOR 6 DAYS. I APPLIED FOR AND GOT APPROVED THE VERY FIRST TIME FOR SSDI.

HERE IS THE STORY IN A NUT SHELL. IN 2006 I DECIDED I WANTED TO RETURN TO THE WORKFORCE, I WAS HIRED TO MOW GRASS AT AN ILLINOIS REST AREA, I WAS NOT A STSATE EMPLOYEE, BUT AN EMPLOYEE OF THE CONTRACT COMPANY IN CHARGE FOR THE MAINTENANCE. I WANT TO STATE I LOVED THIS JOB AND I STILL MISS IT. ANYWAY, I NEVER SAW THE EQUIPTMENT USED TO MOW THE GRASS UNTILL THE FIRST DAY OF WORK. I PRUSEMED IT WAS LARG EQUIPTMENT THAT THE STATE OF ILLINOIS USED.

MAN, WAS I WRONG!. THE EQUIPTMENT IS LIKE YOUR OWN RIDING LAWN MOWER THAT YOU WOULD GO TO YOUR LOCAL SEARS STORE AND BUY. THIS LITTLE MACHINE IS NOT INTENDED FOR THE ROUGH USEAGE OF THE AREA. ANYWAY, ON THE SECOND DAY OF WORK I WAS MOWING UP THE OFF RAMP OF THE REST AREA, [/u]DOING MY JOB, AND THE LOWER DECK OF THE MOWER COUGHT A LARGE PEICE OF CONCRETE AND THE RIDER STOPED MOVING SUDDENLY, THE JOLT SENT ME UPWARD AND INTO THE STEARING WHEEL, I COUGHT MYSELF FROM GOING OVER THE TOP OF THE MOWER AND INJURING MYSELF BADLY. I WAS IN INTENSE PAIN, MY LOWER BACK FELT LIKE I WAS KICKED BY A HORSE. AFTER SEVERAL CURSE WORDS AND CONTAINING MY SELF, I GOT OFF THE MOWER SLOWLY, MY LEGS AND LOWER BACK WERE KILLING ME. MY BOSS LEFT FOR THE DAY, SO I WENT HOME AND ARRIVED FOR DUTY THE NEXT DAY. I INFORMED MY BOSS OF THE INJURY AND WHERE IT HAPPENED. I WENT AND RETRIVED A LAGE PEICE OF CONCREETE, POSSIBLE FROM A TRUCKER WHO LOST PART OF HIS SECRUEING DEVICE TO SECURE HIS LOAD. I WAS ORDERED TO CONTINUE MOWING AND WE THEN
( MY BOSS AND MYSELF) TRAVELED TO THE EAST BOUND REST AREA, AGAIN, STILL IN PAIN, BUT WANTING TO KEEP MY JOB, WAS ORDERED TO MOWE, SO I DID. THIS TIME ON THE EAST BOUND ENTRY RAMP IN THE GRAVEL AND GRASS I WAS MOWING, I INJURED MYSELF AGAIN, THIS TIME GOING OVER RUTS AND THE BOUNCING OF THE MOWER CONTINUED TO HURT MY BACK AND LEGS. NOW, TAKE IN MIND, THE GROUNDS ARE NOT AS SMOTH AS A GOLF COURSE, IT IS VERY ROUGH AND HILLY. I HAD TO MOWE SITING MY BUT HALF ON THE SEAT AND ON THE REAR FENDER SO I WOULD NOT TURN OVER THE RIDER. I INFORMED MY BOSS OF THE INJURY IN PERSON.
I WAS TOLD TO TAKE SEVERAL BREAKS AND DO WHAT I CAN.
I DELT WITH THIS PAIN EVERY WORK DAY UNTILL AFTER BEING ORDERED TO WORK ON MY DAY OFF. MY BOSS KNEW I WAS HURTING, BUT IN HIS MIND I WAS JUST A BODY TO DO THE JOB. THE MONDAY FOLLOWING THIS DAY OF ORDERED WORK, I WENT TO THE EMPLOYERS BUSINESS OFFICE AND TOLD THEM ( THE MANAGER AND HIS STAFF) OF WHAT HAPPENED. IT WENT ALL DOWN HILL FROM THERE. I WENT TO THEIR COMPANY DR, WHO GRILLED ME FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR. THEN I WAS SENT TO THE E.R AND MET WITH THE E.R. D.R. ON DUTY, IWAS THEN REFERED TO A NEURO D.R., HAPPLY IT WAS MY FORMER SURGEN. DUE TO METAL RODS IN MY BACK I WAS NOT ABLE TO GET AN M.R.I, BUT A C.T. SCAN WITH CONTRAST, THIS SHOWED 2 HERINATED DISCS.

DUE TO A PREVIOUS MEDICAL BILL WITH THIS D.R. I WAS REFUSED TREATMENT BY THIS D.R. I WAS REFERED TO A PAIN D.R. WHO DID THE USUAL INJECTIONS, NERVE CONDUCTOR TESTS, MORE X-RAYS. FINALLY, I WAS TOLD THAT DUE TO MY PREVIOUS OPERATIONS IT IS NOT ADVISEABLE TO OPERATE AT THIS TIME. I WAS OFFERED THE TRIAL SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR AND IT WORKED KIND OF, BUT NOT WHERE I AM INJURED. I THEN WENT AND GOT THE IMPLANT OF THE STIMULATOR AND IT STILL DID NOT HELP WHERE I AM INJURED. I TOLD THE D.R. ABOUT THIS AND I WAS TREATED LIKE A DUMB ####, ANY WAY 6 MONTHS AFTER THIS OPERATION I WAS EXPERIENCEING THE SENSATION IN MY ARMS AND CHEST. I WENT BACK UNDER THE NEEDLE AGAIN, THEY THE D.R. REPLACE THE LEADS AND MOVED THEM LOWER. AGAIN, THIS STILL DID NOT HELP AND THE D.R. TOLD ME THAT [DUE TO MY INJURY] I RECEIVED I WILL NEVER GET ANY RELIEF.

FINALLY, I HAD ENOUGH , I TOLD THIS D.R. WHY, WHY DID YOU JUST REPAIR THE 2 HERNIATED DISCS AND THIS WHOLE MESS WOULD OF BEEN CLEARED UP. HE BARKED BACK AT ME STATING IN HIS MIND , THIS WAS THE BEST HE COULD DO.
I FELT LIKE TRASH, I HAVE BEEN FROM D.R. TO D.R. DID THIS TEST, THAT TEST, POKED, PRICKED, INJECTED, ETC.

TO THIS DAY, I AM STILL IN PAIN, THE STIMULATOR HURTS AS IT IS IN THE SIDE OF MY BACK JUST UNDER THE SKIN, IT BUMPS INTO THINGS AND THIS MAKES IT WORSE.

MY ATTORNEY IS TAKING HIS SWEET TIME, FINALLY AFTER 2 YRS 7 MONTHS AND A FEW DAYS LATER. HE FINALLY GETS THE DEPOSITION FROM THE PAIN D.R.' I AM TOLD THAT THE D.R. DID A VERY GOOD JOB FOR ME, BUT THERE IS ONE MORE DEPOSITION HE HAS TO GET, THIS IS FROM THE INDEPENDENT D.R. HE SENT ME TO. THIS WILL BE IN DECEMBER OF 2008. AFTER THAT, THEN WE WILL GO TO COURT.

WHY,WHY DOES THIS TAKE SO LONG,. IS THIS NORMAL, DOES OTHER INJURED PEOPLE GO THROUGH WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH?
OR DO I JUST HAVE A ROTTEN ATTORNEY?

GETTING BACK TO MY SSDI, WHEN THIS CASE SETTLES, DO I HAVE TO REPORT MY SETTLEMENT TO SSDI, WILL MY BENEFITS STOP. I NEED THESE BENEFITS , THIS IS THE ONLY INCOME I HAVE.

SINCE I CAN'T WORK DUE TO THE INJURIES I RECEIVED BY GOING BACK TO WORK, WILL THIS HELP MY CASE. I TRIED RETURNING TO WORK TWO TIMES SINCE THEN, 1 WAS AN INVESTIGATOR CONDUCTING SURVEILLANCE OF INSURANCE CLAIMS, MY BACK COULD NOT TAKE IT ANY MORE ALONG WITH INTENSE PAIN IN THE LEGS, AS YOU SIT ALOT, DRIVE AT HIGH SPEEDS FOLLOWING THE CLAIMANT. I CONTRIBUTE THIS TO MY INJURIES I RECEIVED AT WORK. I THEN TRIED BEING AN ARMED GUARD AT A LOCAL TRUCK STOP. STANDING FOR 12 HR SHIFTS, AGAIN I HAD TO RESIGN DUE TO MY INJURIES.

PLEASE HELP ME, CAN ANYONE WITH INTENSIVE KNOWLEDGE OF THE ILLINOIS WORKMANS COMP, GIVE ME ANY POSITIVE INFORMATION.

ONE MORE THING , WE ARE MOVING TO FLORDIA IN FEB OF 2009. I CAN'T COME BACK FOR COURT. CAN I HAVE MY ATTORNEY BE MY POWER OF ATTORNEY AND SETTLE THIS MATTER WITHOUT ME BEING THERE. I AM GOING TO SCHOOL TO RE-TRAIN MY SELF AND I CAN'T MISS ANY SCHOOL.

DOES SSDI HAVE ANY HELP FOR ME FOR GOING BACK TO SCHOOL, LIKE GAS MONEY, TUITION, BOOKS, RENTING A U-HALL AND TRAILER, RENT, ETC.

THANKS,
HARLEY!!

harley.
Only thing I can say is W O W. Sorry to hear.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/work/faqs.html
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

I'm also from Illinois and I can say that the system does anything but work fast here. My pay was cut due to my injury back in April 2007. Then in July they decided my injury was not work related any more because my doctor wanted to me to try a stimulator. Well then in Jan of this year I was put off work and placed on company disability which is 66% of my income and my is only 66% of my new lower income to boot. I will be getting my first hearing tomorrow for this so thats 19 months since they cut my pay.
I have had the spinal cord stimulator implanted and so has my wife. Not sure what doctor did yours but mine would not even do the perm implant unless you have a 50% or better reduction in pain. These are only real good for leg pains like nerve pains. They don't work good on back problems. Kind of sounds like your doctor just wanted to do the implant. They can be removed if it doesn't work, not sure who paid for it but they are not cheap. The implant surgery alone was $113,000

Sorry to hear about all your troubles but it does take time. Wish I could answer more of your questions but I'm thinking you would have to come back for a hearing or two. Your attorney maybe able to take care of things but your company may want to have you testify. You said you don't know if your attorney is working for you but one thing I can say is if you can't speak with him and believe he is helping, your in trouble.

Im from NY and I had a trial stim done a few months ago. When the Dr tried to place the cervical lead in it sent pain that felt like it was on fire into my left arm all 3 times he tried to place it in. He gave up and i had him remove the other lead. I have a new trial already approved with a new Dr but im scared to death the pain will happen again.
Sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it Harley. Just know that you are not alone and fight fight fight for your rights. If youre not happy with your attorney interview another one. Just dont let your attorney go until you are completely sure you have another one to take on your case. Its not easy finding one so far along in your case. Some attorneys wont even consider it.
Its taken me 7 long yrs to get permanancy and Permanently partially marked disabled inclusive of a industrial component which means i no longer have to look for work. There is no predicting how long it will take. I get SSDI and comp. The SSDI is offset by the comp. In NY if you settle youre SSDI will be reduced until youre funds from settlement are spent down. Best to take it in payments if offered.
Good luck and know that thier are some pretty smart and compassionate people in this forum to guide you every step of the way. Sher
7 Yr survivor of the NY State workers compensation system

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Employee Injured at work today-California Babebahn 11 1,841 09-19-2020, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Babebahn
  Work Comp SSDI Offset-Hartman formula kong 5 14,524 03-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Seeking Help
  Injured at work in NY MD123 3 3,387 03-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Last Post: 1171
Rolleyes injured at work johnsteele 6 6,491 01-20-2014, 06:01 PM
  I Honestly Think I've Been Injured Due To Work rooibos1986 3 3,667 12-17-2013, 02:11 PM
  Injured during work conditioning hotflash 3 6,122 04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Injured at work, I have questions. Taja 2 4,709 07-21-2012, 07:52 PM
  Mom injured at work. hobithairshop 5 6,136 09-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Last Post: LeglEgl
  Injured at work, need suggestions mlgx 2 4,320 06-13-2011, 10:00 PM
  Injured in Illinois Bird 2 2,072 05-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Manley2