Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
17 years and still not settled
Just found this group and thought I'd post my horror story. Original injury in California in 1990...took a divet out of my knee cap in the back. Second time I hurt it in 1991 when I tripped over the computer cords that my employer had put across the doorway. 6 surgeries and I'm still not able to work full time, nor have any quality of life. Having more problems now and back seeing the doc here in Arizona (been here for 7 years). Going to do the injections again. They worked (hyalgon) for a few years, but don't have much hope they will do the trick again.

Everyone says I'm too young for a knee replacement (only 56), but others say it's the quality of life that matters. Would just like to be able to walk down the bank of the stream and do some trout fishing; backpack into the Sierra Nevada's again; play a pain free round of golf and be able to walk the course; have passionate sex with my husband again.

The real kicker is....according to "the schedule" my knee is only worth $9,870.00! Can't even support myself and haven't been able to do so since 1993. Insurance company has paid me over $12,000 in permanent disability, so I owe THEM!!

How's THAT for a story!!
The Tombstone Kid

You are not to young for a knee replacement. I had one at age 51 earlier this year.

I was 48 when I was injured and told I first needed the replacement. Wc played their games and I did not have the replacement until 28 months after I was injured.

Do not wait to have your knee replacement done as waiting can cause other medical problems.

I have problems with my back due to the delay in medical treatment for my knee.

I agree with Bummer. Being 56 yrs. old does not make you to young to have knee replacements. Actually If I was you I would have it now while you are still young to heal and go on and live the life you are speaking about in your posts. Why wait till you are to old to do the things in life that you so want to do???

My mother who is 66 and my boss who is 64 both had knee replacements and said that they were very pleased with the results. That they should have done it sooner. I would think being your age would be still young enough to heal faster and enjoy your life the way you are saying you would like to. If the IC does not pay for it, have your own IC pay for it , and if you win your case they would have to pay back your IC.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Thanks, Bummer. I've been arguing with WC for many years over all of this and I just can't get them to authorize anything other than "conservative" treatment. I told my doc if I had a ball peine (sp?) hammer, I could most definitely fix the darn thing.

As for making more of a mess, yes, I already have problems in my hip from "kicking" it out so I can manage any kind of stairs. After the second lateral release (cutting of the tendon on the outside of your knee joint so they can shove your knee cap over to the inside of your knee) I had to have so much physical therapy to get the tear drop to start functioning again. That's still a problem today, too.

Tombstone Kid

Bummer Knees Wrote:You are not to young for a knee replacement. I had one at age 51 earlier this year.

I was 48 when I was injured and told I first needed the replacement. Wc played their games and I did not have the replacement until 28 months after I was injured.

Do not wait to have your knee replacement done as waiting can cause other medical problems.

I have problems with my back due to the delay in medical treatment for my knee.

sparkey Wrote:If the IC does not pay for it, have your own IC pay for it , and if you win your case they would have to pay back your IC.

Sparkey, I've talked to my IC regarding this and they won't touch it because it is a WC injury. Believe me...my doc in CA told me to do the same thing and I tried to get it fixed back in the 90's to no avail there, either.

I'm looking into an AARP supplement for Medicare. They will take any problem if you have not had advice or treatment from a physician within six months prior to applying for their supplement.

This has just been a horrible 17 years for us. Thank GOD I had my kids when I was quite young and was able to teach and do sports with them before my injury.

Tombstone Kid

Do you have an attorney in California to help you with this mess? I'm sorry to hear that its been 17 years and your case is not settled. Wishing you all the best.
Babebahn..."Tongues don't have erasers"
Injured 1999 3 level anterior cervical fusion 2001
Settled Work Comp Case 2006 w/ Lifetime Medical Currently, C7-T1 is being watched will possibly need surgery front/back fusion from C3-T2, lower back needs another facet injection.

If it is a WC injury, don't you think that WC insurance should then pay for it? Does your doctor feel you should have the surgery instead of " Conservative treatments?" I would think if the doctor ordered surgery and it is a WC injury that you should be able to get that approved. I know things are not all that easy with WC.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Hi did you ever get a settlement?
Or is workers comp still keeping you on the ropes

this is an 8 year old post so you may have to wait awhile for a response.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I broke my neck , back , jaw teeth . knee's , foot. massive nerve damage through out . I file my case back in 03/08/2012
I have seen doctor's with any treatment . My Doctor's order treatment but the insurance company denied all treatment. the insurance company fired all my doctor's for trying to help me . I had an attorney but he was bot off . now nothing but abuse and neglect .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  settled!! inpainokla 18 15,387 06-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Last Post: inpainokla
  Case Settled rebel_1961 17 16,389 05-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Last Post: rebel_1961
  Settled capricorn 16 11,269 10-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Last Post: capricorn
  ITs Done, all settled!! annoyedtodeath 32 16,287 12-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Last Post: katicabogar
  No Hearing Settled all done now!! borninabarn 17 9,904 12-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Last Post: halftrak