Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workman's Compenstation
I have a question regarding my brother: He was severely injured while on the job about 18 months ago - motor vehicle accident. He is receiving a monthly check from WC; however, they are about ready to settle with him. A few days ago, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and has less than 6 months. My question is this: If he passes away before the settlement is complete, will this settlement go to his wife??

Workers Comp.Laws are State Specific, so if You could Please Post the State it would Help Others Answer Your Question Much better. I'm So Sorry and My Prayers go to Your Brother and His Family. I'm in Pa., and I know should I Pass, from what My Attorney tells Me that Anything that was in Litigation before My Death would go to My Wife, but the Case Stops there, and She would not Receive anymore from w/c. Your Brother's Attorney will Probably Work Very Hard to get this Settled for Him Quickly, so the Family isn't without! Welcome to the Boards, and Please keep Us Informed if You could on the Progress!Wink

Very dependent on the state. Some of them are very specific about which benfits are payable after the death of the employee. Hopefully he has an attorney giving him competent advice. Also, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the "6 month" thing. Doctors don't have crystal balls and cannot predict how long a patient will live. I have yet to see anyone with an expiration date on the bottom of their foot.

In PA, the settlement has to be approved by a judge after a hearing. I have actually had a client die while waiting for the hearing, and the settlement was unenforceable.

Jennie Watkin Wrote:I have a question regarding my brother: He was severely injured while on the job about 18 months ago - motor vehicle accident. He is receiving a monthly check from WC; however, they are about ready to settle with him. A few days ago, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and has less than 6 months. My question is this: If he passes away before the settlement is complete, will this settlement go to his wife??

Jennie Watkin Wrote:I have a question regarding my brother: He was severely injured while on the job about 18 months ago - motor vehicle accident. He is receiving a monthly check from WC; however, they are about ready to settle with him. A few days ago, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and has less than 6 months. My question is this: If he passes away before the settlement is complete, will this settlement go to his wife??

My brother lives in Idaho - he has been diagnosed with metastatic lung carcinoma to the bladder, kidney, liver, colon and a mass on his sternum. Thank you all for your info. I will keep everyone informed as his case progresses. (He lost a leg in the MVA while working)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Questions about workman’s comp Lifeupsidedown 2 2,023 01-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Last Post: 1171
Cool Workman's Comp Injury majsflas 4 8,027 03-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Last Post: majsflas
  MD workman's comp hurtinginMD 13 21,248 05-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Scooter123
  Help me, Workman's comp question lxlive500 1 7,439 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM
  Workman comp checks janiebeans 2 6,621 05-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Workman Comp kentuckygirl 1 2,473 07-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  Need ER can I go on workman's comp hollywoodyed 140 163,441 07-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Bernie57
  job searching while on workman's compensation pjl92668 3 12,945 07-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Is this Workman's Comp? cbv1 11 8,973 06-23-2009, 04:31 PM
  Military Ret and Workman's comp lnewman27 8 9,323 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM