Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
correctional officer needs help
hi
i have gotten useful information for myself now i need some for my husbad.
he has been a county correctional officer for 21 years in pa.
was attacked by an inmate 2 years ago, recieved stiches but was never offered counseling. a claim was opened at the time. over the last two years has been close to a nervous breakdown, seeing a pych and therapist, taking meds. has notified w/c and the county has paid him for 6months his regular salary and health insurance. he is supposed to be recieving w/c checks now and they are really messing with him. they have already ordered an IME with another psych doctor
what do you think?
laurie

looks like you think he needs counseling. If so you should discuss it with his doctor and see what they recommend. maybe he should at least have a psyche evaluation.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Laurie, I am from Pa. also, and I need to know if Your Husband has a w/c Claim Number, or was He Denied by the w/c System? I would Strongly Suggest a Consult with an Attorney that Deals in w/c Issues, to See where You Stand! Mr Belt is on this Site from Time to Time and is an Attorney from Pa. that Deals in w/c, Hopefully He will See this Post and Reply! My Best to Your Husband, and Welcome to the Boards!!Wink

Still in Limbo Wrote:Laurie, I am from Pa. also, and I need to know if Your Husband has a w/c Claim Number, or was He Denied by the w/c System? I would Strongly Suggest a Consult with an Attorney that Deals in w/c Issues, to See where You Stand! Mr Belt is on this Site from Time to Time and is an Attorney from Pa. that Deals in w/c, Hopefully He will See this Post and Reply! My Best to Your Husband, and Welcome to the Boards!!Wink

yes he does have a cliaim # but has not recieved anything from the w/c bureau

Sounds to me like they want to send him to a IME and pay some doctor to say he does NOT need to see a therapist and that would end that!!! As soon as the IME doctor disagrees if he does, they will not pay anymore if they are now. When they get sick n tired of paying for something, they turn around and order a IME to stop it.

Make sure he gets other opinions to back up the IME if the IC doctor goes against him. They should be paying for his medication and his time out of work. If not, I would make sure you contact the labor board or a lawyer that deals with workers comp. Good luck.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

You May want to Call the w/c Dept., He should have either Received an Acceptance or Denial Letter at the Very Least! That's why I feel You May want to Speak with an Attorney, it seems things are at a Stand still at w/c, and Someone needs to get things Going!! Please let Us know How things Go!Wink

The big question is what the accepted injury is. Psych claims are difficult in PA. They are especially difficult when you work in a high risk profession such as police officer or prison guard. If there is no accepted injury, you are rapidly approaching the statute of limitations and a petition needs to be filed. If you desire more fact specific information, feel free to contact me directly.

Timothy Belt Wrote:The big question is what the accepted injury is. Psych claims are difficult in PA. They are especially difficult when you work in a high risk profession such as police officer or prison guard. If there is no accepted injury, you are rapidly approaching the statute of limitations and a petition needs to be filed. If you desire more fact specific information, feel free to contact me directly.

the injury is post traumatic stress disorder. he finally did get an answer yesterday from the ic that he would be recieving checks starting next week. my question is since the county or employer has paid him full salary and benefits for 6 months, not w/c, when does the employer need to file the claim with the state? also when does the 90 day time period start that the employer has to either reject or accept the claim?

thanks so much
laurie

The period to accept or reject the claim in PA is 21 days and it starts on the date of notice to the employer of the injury. The employer must report injuries resulting in death within 48 hours, or within 7 days except where disability is less than a day.

What your husband has probably been receiving is Heart and Lung benefits. These benefits are better in many ways than WC since they are full salary. If he also obtains WC, the WC benefits would be paid directly to the state to partially cover the Heart and Lung. Normally, if an individual is accepted as having an entitlement to WC benefits, and they otherwise qualify for Heart and Lung benefits, they are also awarded Heart and Lung benefits. The opposite is not true.

Do you actually have a document from WC indicating that the post traumatic stress disorder has been accepted? If not, it doesn’t matter what the doctor’s are calling the condition, it is not a recognized injury.

Timothy Belt Wrote:The period to accept or reject the claim in PA is 21 days and it starts on the date of notice to the employer of the injury. The employer must report injuries resulting in death within 48 hours, or within 7 days except where disability is less than a day.

What your husband has probably been receiving is Heart and Lung benefits. These benefits are better in many ways than WC since they are full salary. If he also obtains WC, the WC benefits would be paid directly to the state to partially cover the Heart and Lung. Normally, if an individual is accepted as having an entitlement to WC benefits, and they otherwise qualify for Heart and Lung benefits, they are also awarded Heart and Lung benefits. The opposite is not true.

Do you actually have a document from WC indicating that the post traumatic stress disorder has been accepted? If not, it doesn’t matter what the doctor’s are calling the condition, it is not a recognized injury.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA Police Officer Fired before IDR eligal21 4 2,845 05-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Last Post: 1171
  correctional officer ptsd laurie57 9 17,805 01-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Last Post: chasnrnbos
  Wisconsin Police Officer disability concern copcricket 7 8,608 06-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Lilly