Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question/indiana/kentucky wc processes
I just have a question about what to expect now. I work for a company in Kentucky but live in Indiana. I sustained a severe injury to right elbow on July 31st, from a fall of about 4-6 feet off of a front end loader. My company always stresses 3 points of contact in their training, and I was complying to the rules. I was climbing onto my loader at beginning of shift, when my foot slipped off the step I was getting ready to advance from. I fell backwards having only two points of contact now. I sustained a Comminuted compound fx of lower Humerus,and shattered the elbow into several pieces. I have had surgery. The company's w/c, and my NCM(NURSE CARE MANAGER) have been great! They got me out of the hospital where I was , and put me in touch with another doctor. I am receiving w/c checks weekly, and occ/phy therapy weekly for injury. They have been to all doctor visits. This is first time I have been through this process. Can someone give me an idea what happens here out.THANKS cougarsden

depends on which state's workers comp laws you are under. the rules and benfits for Kentucky are different then those for Indiana. Do you know which comp system is handling your claim?
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

1171 Wrote:depends on which state's workers comp laws you are under. the rules and benfits for Kentucky are different then those for Indiana. Do you know which comp system is handling your claim?

Kentucky- i guess the wc comp is Coventry

the guidebook will give you an overview of how kentucky handles work comp claims
http://www.labor.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/898...forweb.pdf
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

1171 Wrote:the guidebook will give you an overview of how kentucky handles work comp claims
http://www.labor.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/898...forweb.pdf

thanks 1171 all help appreciated
One last question. According to the w/c process there is a type of hearing to discuss a settlement, and it was "suggested" through the website to get a attorney. Is this really necessary, and what is this about? I was under impression that you got surgery,therapy, and went back to work if possible. The reason I asked is I may only get 70% usage back, and ulnar nervedamage could take a while to mend according to dr. it's a wait and see game.

Some people on the website have benefited from getting legal representation and therefore conclude and recommend that everyone in every situation will have the same result. Over-generalization from limited experience is very common on public posting boards where many constantly try to make others buy their brand of reality. This board is no different. opinions litter the boards; Reliable "Information" is what is difficult to find.
That having been said at some point you may need professional representation but that is a personal choice with consequences as well.
You need to change your "impressions" into knowledge and fact. False assumptions are rampant among those who encounter workers comp for the first time.
They often mistake it for their own health insurance and become frustrated and angry when they find out it isn't.
They often mistake it for civil liability and negligence law and again become highly upset when it isn't.
Misplaced and exaggerated expectations are one of the biggest reasons many are dissatisfied with their work comp experience.
Learn about your comp system and know what to expect is the best way to avoid some of craziness that overcomes some injured workers.
P.S.
Comp is part of the dysfunctional US health care system and shares all the weakness, inefficiencies, and breakdowns. Many of the complaints about comp are universal to anyone with health related issues (especially those in the lower end of the economic scale).

that's my generalized opinion which, like I said above, is only one of many that litter the boards. use the links for your state comp agency to find hard information.
please keep asking specific questions whenever you need to check your understanding. write them down so you remember to ask your doctor or employer or bring them here. There is also an ombudsman at the state comp board.
http://www.labor.ky.gov/workersclaims/
P.s.s I thought Kentucky switched to "Brickstreet" for their comp. If you are under Indiana I can give you links to their site as well.
Be Well.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

welcome to the site.sounds like your company is taking care of you and wc is doing you a good job.this site has been very helpfull to alot of people thats why where here to help.the only time you will hear someone here tell you to get a lawyer is when you are getting screwed or about too.there are alot of friends here with great info to help you with about any issue at hand.good luck and i hope all goes well.
Each day is not a rite,it's a given.

Thank you again, one and all.
1171 - In response to your post,the company that my case manager is with is Coventry, yet I believe I am being handled through PA. Although the injury was received in KY, my company's main office is in PA. I have a W/C representative there that I am now sending mileage logs, medical bills,excetera to. I am receiving the checks from ACE Property and Casualty Company from Tampa, Fl. I guess I had bettter determine who is actually handling this.

Cougarsden

I am happy for you that you are having a good experience with WC and their IC. Prompt, appropriate treatment is all any of us could ask for! I would not even discuss settlement until EVERYTHING with your arm, is over and done with... treatment and improvement wise. You may end up with 70% loss of use....but what about 6 months from that time? It's possible that after PT ceases, it could deteriorate.
Take care & good luck, LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Smile 
Hello all, and thank you for the comments all are greatly appreciated.
started back light duty yesterday, 8 hrs. Still restricted to no lifting on r arm yet. Company had me file paperwork. thats cool, its work. Go for follow up with dr. today. Hopefully bones are healed enough to do some strength training. Has any one ran into this. Your position on board is listed as empty, But your name is highlighted in red next to it with std next to it? Is this an acrynym for short term disability, or is it subject to dismissal, or disciplinary? Confused on terminology for office codes.

Again thank you for your help these past few weeks.

remember: "The soul of another is likened to a rosebud, treat it with hatred, and dispair and it shall surely die, treat it with respect and love, and watch it flourish into a sweet, aromatic breath of beauty"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kentucky Worker Comp Settlement Question josh1985 36 13,761 03-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Kentucky legislation to reduce benefits 1171 1 1,095 04-03-2018, 03:11 PM
  Indiana PPI rating, what does it mean? KimbaWhiteLion 2 5,099 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM
  help needed in indiana clymerl 7 6,330 05-20-2015, 11:57 AM
  Crippled in Kentucky not4you25 14 8,425 09-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Last Post: not4you25
  Indiana PPI onocep 23 33,908 06-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Exclamation indianapolis indiana help chuckr 2 4,539 04-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Indiana- Injured school employee, What is typical compensation ? tdn08 6 11,732 03-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Last Post: jmf973
  Indiana-Index Finger-Settlement bradgt04 4 21,931 01-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Last Post: bradgt04
  Indiana Travelers Closed File divechic26 11 11,708 02-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy