Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medical Expense after stipulation settlement?
Question 
Hi Everyone,

I need some help understanding what my lawyer wrote for myu stipulated paperwork.

She check the box that said that I need medical treatment to cure or relieve from the effects of said injury. SHE WROTE NONE KNOWN. DEFENDANT TO PAY ADJUST OR LITIGATE AS REASONABLE AND NECESSARY.(caps means that what my lawyer wrote). what does she mean by that? For my injuries that I got from work, the defendant should pay everything right and I shouldn't have to pay out of pocket cost?

Then my lawyer sent me a letter that said, AS PART OF YOUR STIPULATED AWARD, YOUR RIGHT TO POSSIBLE FUTURE MEDICAL TREATMENT HAS BEEN LEFT OPEN. FUTURE MEDICAL TREATMENT COVERS ONLY THE WORK INJURIES COVERED BY YOUR STIPULATED AWARD. IN THIS REGARD, IF IN THE FUTURE YOU NEED AND ADDITIONAL TREATMENT BECAUSE OF THIS WORKER'S COMPENSATION INJURY, YOUR DOCTOR OR HEALTH CARE PROVIDER MUST BE TOLD THAT TREATMENT IS BEING SOUGHT UNDER YOUR WORKER'S COMPENSATION MEDICAL AWARD.
what does she mean by this? does this mean that the settlement money I got from my stipulation award will be used to pay the doctors for if I want future medical care? Any reply would be aprreciated and I hope people in this forum get something out of this.

I am not an expert here but sounds like you are in pretty good shape if you have open medical for your past injury.My settlement was not an open medical meaning I got my money and It was my problem if I got injured again and not that insurer from the previous injury.Someone with more knowlage will come around soon to give you the low down.Take Care,Born

yes. carriers pays medical treatment for the injury and carrier does not pay for treatment from other injuries or conditions.
no, the cash payments from the stiputlation should be coming from your permanent disability -- agreed to in the earlier sections.
P.S.
each state has different rules. (you should put your state in your profile the recent glitch in the board wiped out existing information). my response only applies to california comp agreements.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

1171 Wrote:yes. carriers pays medical treatment for the injury and carrier does not pay for treatment from other injuries or conditions.
no, the cash payments from the stiputlation should be coming from your permanent disability -- agreed to in the earlier sections.
P.S.
each state has different rules. (you should put your state in your profile the recent glitch in the board wiped out existing information). my response only applies to california comp agreements.
thank you for the reply
So in other words if I get treated for the injuries that was cost by work then I don't have to use my stipulation money to pay for my treatment.

That's correct.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  settlement with open medical Andy1689 2 466 08-25-2019, 02:54 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Insurance Co. Settlement Future Medical Questions Solin 3 1,737 03-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Solin
  settlement and Medical Bills akthompson725 11 2,607 03-17-2018, 11:55 PM
  Settlement for future medical questions Allboys 2 2,155 01-28-2018, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Allboys
  RECEIVED STIPULATION AWARD ajcateeb 1 2,119 10-11-2016, 05:03 PM
  Florida menescus surgery settlement opinion help. Future medical? Stinkeye22 5 14,675 10-16-2015, 05:53 AM
Last Post: richardhudson
  Settlement Qst. - Medical for life...? NYS ImAnInjuredWorker 1 2,080 07-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
  Stipulation and Award Tinnitus 4 2,886 01-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Tinnitus
  Pros and cons of CA lifetime medical settlement? californiaworker 2 12,545 03-06-2014, 02:31 PM
  paraplegic (should I take a future medical settlement) jones111 10 15,580 01-21-2014, 02:31 PM