Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painting Question
I should have said interior painting question,,,,,, I have a back utility room which is panelled , Can I paint it and how????

Wipe down with an alchol base, sand litely, primer, sit 24 hours, and then paint it.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

I painted my family room in my previous home and it turned out very nice.
The paneling on the walls was very dark and I wanted to lighten the room.

I added a wallpaper boarder along the ceiling to add color.

Tuffy, Ellen and I just had Our Entire Interior Painted, and if I can Make a Suggestion, use Kilz Primer in the Utility Room. It is Very Good at Stopping and Controlling any Molds and Mildews. It's also Great for Bathrooms and Basements, or any Damp Areas!Wink

Yes Limbo, I always use Kiltz. But like I said, for Paneling, the surface needs to be scratched, with light sanding, (use a sanding block), then primered. Let primer sit a Min of 24 hours to heal and cure. Then paint.

This process is to ensure paint doesn't peel at a later date, and can be repainted with ease also.

Taking your time, performing this task is about 3 or 4 days, doing little at a time, with good results.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Thanks everyone, I have taken your advice and started the process today, I did get the smallest wall sanded and ready for primer today. I had some deep gouges, so used my belt sander and fine sand grit. Will buy Kilz primer as soon as I get out, and then Sears Paint as I swear by it.. I had my roof leak a few years ago because of roofers who did not tarp, and it rained. ( down my inside walls) I used Kilz then and have never had a problem. But it sure has an odor.....

Did Ellen find her wall decorations ? Tell her hello and sure hope to see her again in Florida. She is a sweetheart.......I would love to have her and you of course for my neighbors and friends........

Tuffy, I do think you may of used Oil based Kilz back then. Since then they only sell water base now. I did buy the Oil Base when it was on sale for like $4.00 a gallon. I use alot of Oil base Primer here. And it does smell. I always apply oil base primer to fresh sanded wood. It seems to be the best. Only like I said before is why one must wait atleast 24 hours after using it to paint.

Thanks for Asking Tuffy! We were able to get Quite a Few things, and I think as Far as Wall Decorations go We are Done!! Now We have to Buy All Door and Base Board Mldg., We have 9 Doors, and I am going to need 15 8' Sections of Base Mldg. We are on the Down Hill Stretch, and by the End of the Month We should be Totally Done!! 800 Square Feet of Hardwood, New Paint and Trim, New Area Rugs, New Dining Room Set with Server and Hutch, and More I have Probably Forgotten! But it Makes Her Happy, and for Me, that's what it's All About! Be Well My Friend!!Smile

One of the best walls I did was on old paneling a long time ago a gift for my sis instead of doing the painting thing I came up with sanding the panels and than staining them with a colored stain not wood color as when that was dried I used wood color over the color to make it look aged this was done in several shades. The look was great as though it was inside a old pole barn, it was great was used in a magazine.

good luck tuffy I'm sure it will look great to!

Still would love to see pictures of your new renovations, especially the dining room.......... Pictures PLEASE LOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you guys get this painting? backache 14 9,093 12-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  painting of sparkey's home red1030 2 2,530 07-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Last Post: capricorn
  Oil Painting Lesson... red1030 31 9,038 04-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Last Post: backache
  Pa Get together painting questions red1030 21 6,254 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Last Post: red1030
  Vickie is painting yea.... red1030 37 10,730 11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Last Post: red1030