Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help...will this injury be covered under wc?
MyBB 
I am a nurse at a nursing home, I was working LOTS of overtime 7 days a week for approx 3 months. In May of 2008 I was working the overnight shift and began to feel a little light headed, I got up from the nurses station walked to restroom and thats all I remember.

Staff that was working with me became concerned and came to check on me, they found me on the floor in the rest room, I apparently passed out. Ambulance was called, on transit I went into respiratory failure, CPR started...arrived at hospital placed on life support, told husband I had no brain activity was parlayed to left side and had 4 seizures, husband told Dr. he wanted me moved to hospital in larger city, within 4 hours I was transfered. At the other hospital they found that I had fractured my ankle when they did the initial assessment, nothing was done because my condition was so serious. I was finally removed from I.C.U. , I had to have surgery on my foot (6 pins& plate) after 16 days in the hospital I went home.

I did not initially file for w/c because I thought I did not "slip on water" I apparently had a seizure, while at work, while on the clock with an injury that has caused me unable to return to work yet.

It has been 4 months since my accident. I filed 7 weeks ago and still have not heard if this will be covered under w/c. If anyone has any information or experience like mine, please respond. I am unable to work at this time , my ortho Dr. will not see me to eval until 10-28-08, he has been wonderful, but 4 months with no income has been really HARD, 6 months will be IMPOSSIBLE!

Looking forward to your feedback..

The question is, was it your passing out due to health problems, that caused injury to the ankle?
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

or did you slip and break ankle and hit head? get a lawyer now
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:The question is, was it your passing out due to health problems, that caused injury to the ankle?

No one knows..I did not have a stroke or anything, they could not find anything that could have caused this...I believe I was overworked and just plain tired and my body just shut down..but if it was due to my health problems, does that mean w/c should not pay?

What I am saying you passed out, you were on Life support. meaning something caused that part.

I'm not at all saying this should not be work comp or work related.

What I'm saying is, you may need to show why you passed out, and why you were on life support. You said your heart stopped. Something had to cause this.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:What I am saying you passed out, you were on Life support. meaning something caused that part.

I'm not at all saying this should not be work comp or work related.

What I'm saying is, you may need to show why you passed out, and why you were on life support. You said your heart stopped. Something had to cause this.

Thank you for responding..I know nothing about w/c..I guess that is were the tricky part comes in..they really don't know what happened..it was like a "freak" accident.... I really thought because I injuried my ankle @ work it would be covered, but I guess there are a lot of other circumstances that could make it to were it could not be covered.

it depends on your state work comp laws and probably caselaw as well.
there are really 2 conditions/injuries and the answer could be different for each.
the underlying condition may be separate from the fall.
some jurisdictions may cover the fall but unless there is medical evidence to the contrary will not cover the condition.
you should contact the insurance carrier or your states work comp board for help in finding out the status of your claim.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Or you can make 1 simple phone call to one of yor State Work Comp Attorney's, and they will tell you for free if you have a case or not. I think that could be the easiest way to answer this. The phone call is free.

1171 Wrote:it depends on your state work comp laws and probably caselaw as well.
there are really 2 conditions/injuries and the answer could be different for each.
the underlying condition may be separate from the fall.
some jurisdictions may cover the fall but unless there is medical evidence to the contrary will not cover the condition.
you should contact the insurance carrier or your states work comp board for help in finding out the status of your claim.

I am in the state of Alabama..when I call w/c I am told they are still reviewing my claim. If the underlying condition was caused by a seizure, would w/c reject claim?

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Or you can make 1 simple phone call to one of yor State Work Comp Attorney's, and they will tell you for free if you have a case or not. I think that could be the easiest way to answer this. The phone call is free.

Thank you, that is what I was looking for...have a wonderful day...(smile)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Notice from W/C Medication not covered Babebahn 8 3,879 01-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  MSA projected Medicare Covered Items casual1 1 2,112 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Last Post: dtails
  Unrelated Injury & Covered Injury UtOh 1 2,342 09-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Old WMC injury...with related injury not covered Kwood1 0 2,594 06-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Kwood1
  Complex Meniscus Tear and Arthritis=WC Covered Total Knee Replacement allison 5 17,626 04-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Is any on job injury covered by workmans comp? maxpowers 1 2,878 07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Am I covered under WC? JohnC 11 12,714 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Cycler
  Texas Non-Covered Employer - HELP! 8641 3 3,866 07-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Last Post: froglett
  quitting, still covered? paintballpunk 3 3,446 03-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Last Post: paintballpunk
  what is covered by wc cchovanec1@yahoo.com 4 3,432 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Last Post: sparkey