Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Permanent award finally!!!!
Sparkey,

The word settlement has different meanings in each state. It doesn't sound like this is a settlement but an award for permanent partial. I'm not sure, being unfamiliar with all the circumstances and the laws of your state.

I also do not encourage injured workers to get an attorney immediately after being injured when nothing has been denied as that usually is a red flag that there is something "fishy" going on.

However, I do feel that once it gets into the "legal" stage, you should. You were very brave and did it on your own. You still have issues to face. I think you should at least talk to an attorney now. (And this is from the ex-adjuster, not the ex injured worker, or maybe both....)

sorry Kate. I guess i should NOT say settlement, but award. The rest of my case is still open. They just do not pay for my meds anymore and lowered my rating. Could you tell me how long they will keep paying for my medical ( years? ) and treatments. Would they eventually try to get rid of that also?

My pm doctor now says that because the decision from the labor board said that their doctor was more credible and that he said I had recurring carpal , that I should go to a hand surgeon. I have a referrel to see one as soon as they set the appointment. They would probably put up a fight to pay it, but it is in the statement of their doctor that I have it. I am so lost without a lawyer, as I do not know what happens next etc. I am trying to avoid a lawyer and personally do not think it will help me anymore at this time. We will see. Alot on my mind lately. Thank you for your help.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Sparkey, as for the open Medical, I do sugesst you now get plenty of information pertaining to that from your State WC Board right away. These issues should also be in the Award Contract.

As I know, Open Medical means you are still to obtain Reasonable medical care. Reasonable medical care to the IC is meant as cost from what I was reading. As each State handles that different.

Open Medical also means, you are to be seen by a Doctor every so many days or months per year and not skip during this process or the IC can return for a hearing and then get Open Medical Droped.

Use extreme caution with Open Medical, for it can be even more trickier then whole Work Comp System.

Kathryn J. Barger - Director, Workers' Compensation Division

Telephone
(603) 271-3176

1-800-272-4353
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Thank you bb. I have spoke to Kathryn Barger when she called me to tell me that she was having the Lawyer for the IC call a hearing because of the rating difference. I really need to talk with someone about workers comp. and I will give her a call to find out why I was only told what I was getting for a rating and that my medication will not be paid for anymore.

I go to PM every month. I also go for injections in my neck every two weeks for 3 visits. I constantly keep treatments going for my arm/hand/neck. I also have a Tens unit that the ic paid for that I order pads and leads every other month to make sure they still give me things I need. I just got new rechargeable batteries a few weeks ago. I do not think keeping within the medical treatments is a problem, but I did hear that before, that if you do not go for a certain amount of time, they can take it away. If I am correct, In NH you are entitled to a rating and the IC is responsible for treatment for the injury. We get lump sum settlements here also for the permanent ratings. I still have not deposited the check yet, and just want to make sure of a few things first. THank you all again.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

It's not depositing the check. It's the Award Contract, and Stips that have to be read real closely.

Also, I don't know how much the check is for, and I don't need to know. But as I said prior, it's one of my better opinions, that you do open up an Interest Bearing Checking Account with it. And not in the same Bank you use currently. Never ever place all your funds in one bank, or just in one account.

(EXAMPLE) say a person has $200,000.00. I would suggest $75,000.00 in one bank, $75,000.00 in another, both Interest Bearing Checking Accounts. $20,000.00 in United States Savings Bonds, not just in your name alone. And then $30,000.00 in your current Accounts.

To better protect your money, have other family members on the accounts that are allowed to write checks and such. That way if anything ever happens in life, there will be no problems for them to access it.

Then if you need money, make loans against an account. You then can claim the Interest come Income Tax time.

Remember before an Interest Bearing Checking Account reaches close to $100,000.00, to remove the funds to make the Account back to $75,000.00, and open a new account with those funds from your interest bearing Accounts.

(EXAMPLE ONLY)
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help with permanent (SLU) award mcmahonjc 3 4,383 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Permanent Partial Disability Award? 117len 8 23,913 09-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Last Post: 117len