Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what should I do about chemical exposure?
Hello, This is my first time here and I could use some help.  About a month ago there was an accident at my place of employment.  I am the Events Director there and a ceremony/reception was taking place.  We had a sewar back up and this effected the men's locker room showers.  The GM contacted maintenece who decided to take Drano and dump an entire bottle in each drain including the open bar where the guests were located.  The smell was so foul that he "the GM" decided to dump Bleach into this drain at the bar, which is in the floor.  I immediatly could smell  this upstairs and stupid me thinks by taking 5 gallon buckets of water I can flush this as fast as possible.. that didn't happen.  We had to evacuate the building because of the chemical gas this put off, the Reception had to end early, this has never happened before in the 5 years I have been employed, thank goodness the guest were all ok... however, the bartender got sick, The service director along with me.  I got it worse because I was trying to fix the problem.  The GM told us NOT to call 911, nor poison control.  He did not want the fire department there and lable us.  This happend May 5 and I am still recoverring from the damage to my lungs.  I had chemical pnuemonia, the other two chemical bronchitis.  This also triggererd an arythmia with me as well.  I have not recieved a cent nor know what to do.  They used all my vacation and personal time to pay me.  I feel they were neglegent and this was not my fault and I feel I am being punished both physically and financally.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Kim

yeah start with filling a work comp claim asap this includes all that were injured because of this.

Next step would be to get a good attorney - cause sounds like you will need it.

Keep a documented account of all that has happened. copy of all bills that you have paid out to date, etc.

Some states allow you to fill the claim directly with the state yourself

If you can - here are the forms for all 50 states here

http://www.workerscompensation.com/stateforms.php

some states also have their state info on line to file the claims on line

Hi.
You and the others, need to file a claim....as chemical burns/exposure to the lungs can damage the organs & can affect you for a life time. This is very dangerous.
Lilly
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Workers' Comp is "no fault" you don't have to prove negligence to get benefits.
You need to report the injury to your employer and find out the process for getting treatment.
Each state has it's own rules about how to file for workers comp and until we know yours i can't be more specific.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Pooh Wrote:yeah start with filling a work comp claim asap this includes all that were injured because of this.

Next step would be to get a good attorney - cause sounds like you will need it.

Keep a documented account of all that has happened.  copy of all bills that you have paid out to date, etc.

Some states allow you to fill the claim directly with the state yourself

If you can - here are the forms for all 50 states here

http://www.workerscompensation.com/stateforms.php

some states also have their state info on line to file the claims on line

My boss gave me a number to call... this person has not been of any help to me. My doctors, hospital and pharmacy ask me for a workmans comp number..I feel like my case has been slipped into the deep hole and nobody knows what to do.

I thank you for your advice though.

call that number and ask for your claim number
also file a claim with that person .. and a paper on ( keep a copy of it)
you have ever right to know the name of the insurance company , phone number , who is the adjuster , and your claim number .
this is the first battle you will have maybe but it is your rights

Hi ky, I'm sorry to hear of your developments. What I think the others are trying to tell you is to search your States Website for the w/c section, and file an injury report with them yourself. It obviously sounds like your Employer is skirting the issue, and you will have to take action on your own. And just my opinion, but I would try to retain a w/c certified Attorney as soon as you can, this sounds like it's going to be very sticky: Employers that tell you no ER, do not call for assistance, don't file an injury report, and take your vacation and sick days when an injury claim should have been filed A.S.A.P. are surely not going to be on your side when the going gets tough!! Please protect yourself now with Counsel, you will be very thankful for it later!! Best of Luck!!Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chemical Exposure rgoines 0 1,715 01-24-2015, 12:31 AM
Last Post: rgoines
  Chemical Exposure danitaw63 0 1,975 11-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Last Post: danitaw63
Sad chemical injury at work need advice mirland 2 6,600 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Last Post: povertyrow
  Chemical Exposure in Illinois injuredinil2 6 4,475 10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Last Post: injuredinil2
  Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow CavScout 18 16,590 08-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Last Post: lefty