Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RSD ALERT..Medications, creams and patches all treatments.
RSD'ers...Please take a few minutes to lists all the medications, creams and patches you have tried for pain. Please if you can list what pain it has helped. (burning, deep pain, stabbing, etc.) there is a few of us here....and if anyone else knows of some ideas to help please list. Sithie has a Dr's appointment next Friday June 1st...as we know she has been through some awful major flare ups....with no pain control help. So lets help give her some options she can talk with her Dr about. I will list all my meds and stuff in the next few days. Promise.

I just got KEROPROFEN ointment.  I'm suppose to massage it into my arm and my ankle where I had the nerve taken out to help with the nerve pain...so far so good.
Babebahn..."Tongues don't have erasers"
Injured 1999 3 level anterior cervical fusion 2001
Settled Work Comp Case 2006 w/ Lifetime Medical Currently, C7-T1 is being watched will possibly need surgery front/back fusion from C3-T2, lower back needs another facet injection.

OUCH, rub it in? How does that work, do you get drunk first? lol, j/k. Never heard of that, thank you for the info,I will look it up.
The good news is,"You can get used to anything."
The bad news is,"You can get used to anything."
:-)
Sithie

I take effexor for nerve pain and darvocet for break through pain when it gets to bad

I am really starting to think, the more i read, that RSD might be what i have. Meet with lawyer tomm, then maybe soon a doctor can tell me lol. Pooh does the darvocet work for you? I have been given ultracet, darvocet, rxboxin or whatever the third name for the same drug is called. None of them work for me, regardless of injury or pain level. Percocet is the only thing so far that works and my doctor took me off the same week he put me on.
Torn miniscus left knee. Injured 11/2/06, operated in march. Post op is worse, possible RSD case, awaiting second opinion. No meds prescribed.

Okay Sithie I am back..feeling better. Not myself yet. But atleast can type a little better and think some what. I will list the current medications I am taking daily. And they are all for the RSD & depression. Even though some are for high blood pressure and seizures. They have found that they help with the symtops of RSD.

Cymbalta 90mg @AM & 90mg @ bedtime
Ambien 10mg @ bedtime
Lortab 4 times daily
Fentanyl Patch 25mg (change every 72hours)
Topamax 100mg @ Am & 100mg @ bedtime
Catpress Patch 0.2 (change weekly)

Sithie..I hope you get some where with your Dr. How is your pain daily? I know you just went through an aweful flare up. I know at my last Dr's appointment my Dr was talking about a lollipop you suck on and it is to help really fast with pain. After this last flare up I just might try them. I can go and get injections...for the pain...but I try to tell myself it will go away...and then tell myself if it isn't gone by morning then it is if it isn't gone by evening...you know the story. Hope to hear a great report back from you on Friday.

rod2120 Wrote:I am really starting to think, the more i read, that RSD might be what i have. Meet with lawyer tomm, then maybe soon a doctor can tell me lol. Pooh does the darvocet work for you? I have been given ultracet, darvocet, rxboxin or whatever the third name for the same drug is called. None of them work for me, regardless of injury or pain level. Percocet is the only thing so far that works and my doctor took me off the same week he put me on.

Rod...If you think at all that you may be dealing with RSD...please go do alot of research if you do have the signs of it...you really need to make sure you are being treated for it. Because if by chance you do have RSD the sooner you get the correct treatment you can have a chance of having it put in remission. If your attorney doesn't understand what RSD is make sure you have some copies information from the internet to provide him. I sure hope you are not dealing with it. If you would like you can list all your symtops here and what your injury was and what treatment you have had...and everyone here can give you there thoughts on it. But we sure are not Dr.s but there are a handful of us that deal with RSD. Also what kind of Dr's are you currently seeing. Hope you had a great weekend.

Is RSD permanant? Currently the only doctor the IC sent me too was an orthopedic surgeon. He disagnosed me with a tear in each miniscus in my left knee. He put me through alot of PT but the swelling didnt get any better, and the muscle stiffness and pain remained. In march he operated, reported only a single tear. Since the surgery my range of motion is a bit better but the original pain remains, as well as slight occasional swelling, constant "heat" and stinging, and the entire knee is sensitive to touch. I have a hard time sleeping because my knee "burns" all night. Icing it seems to help a bit but even under ice the knee feels hot, its hard to explain.

Right now im trying to get a second opinion, because the doctor says he "fixed" the original problem and any new pain will "fade away in time" and i can go back to work on the 4th. The IC doesnt seem responsive, so my attorny will be fixing that.
Torn miniscus left knee. Injured 11/2/06, operated in march. Post op is worse, possible RSD case, awaiting second opinion. No meds prescribed.

Rod

I am one of the few that are actually what they call narcotic intollerant - meaning I can take one of those little pills and be out for a while. So what my doctor would prescribe me for a month really lasts for a while since I can't take them that often.

Ultram/Ultracet is like candy at this point - I did take that for 3 1/2 yrs but it got to the point where it was only working for a couple of hours then the pain was back.

A lot of my pain control, other than the effexor has to come from alternative pain control - hot baths, ice, heat, rest,. My PT Therapists wants me to talk to my ortho about getting a tens unit for at home to use as well for pain control when I see him next month.

I don't have cold skin - I have the opposite - my skin is extremely hot to the touch. So I have not had to deal with the swelling and skin changes others have and not been dx'd with RSD. But I do suffer with lots of nerve problems - ranging from Peripherial neuropathy - including the axonal and small fiber in the lower legs, CTS in both hands, bracial plexius injury/traction injury to the right shoulder and TOS bi laterially.

So I do understand what those with RSD go through as I have similar conditions and my neuropathy is the progressive type. There are times when clothes on my legs increase the burning and pain and this is even with my meds - and heaven forbid I forget to take my meds. I do find the anti-depressant helps more than the narcotic pain meds for me - but that has always been true for me.

As for the heat/burning/stinging pain -I would not suggest cool or cold baths to help relieve pain or the heat feeling- I found out quickly - that it will be like sticking ice picks in your skin constantly. Maybe you will have different results - but that is one thing I miss about summer cool down times - is that I can't cool down with a cool bath or shower because of that any more. I use to love just to sit in a cool tub of water to cool down the body after being outside for a while - not anymore.

As far as using ice - I can use ice on spots and it does feel good - but I no longer have to use a towel between the ice and shoulder or legs - so I just watch the clock to make sure it's not on there to long. (lower legs are worse than upper legs)

I heard for 2 yrs while I was working from the wc doctors the pain was all in my head as well - there was nothing that should be causing the pain that I was in. It wasn't until I started seeing doctors on my own that we started finding out more about what was going on. We are still finding out what is wrong - 5 yrs after the 1st injury and 3 yrs after the re-injury. Which WC is not paying for because the courts said they were not responsible for the shoulders - but that's ok with me as I am getting better treatment now than I would under their care. (clearly seen as I am now still fnding out what is wrong with the shoulders)

So get your attorney involved and if he sends you to a doctor and they find more wrong with the knee then great - if you get refered to a neurologist - make sure it's a good one that understands about rsd.

Sithie, Sorry you didn't get much of a response. Here is a site I went to when I was first told I had RSD...it is wonderful for asking questions. They all have RSD.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/forum...sprune=100

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fake Windows Alert Tuffy 5 2,699 02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
Sad Vicodin & Opium based medications Bad Boy Bad Boy 46 23,751 05-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel
  Global Disease Alert Map bronco54501 0 1,837 04-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  medical alert Bad Boy Bad Boy 8 2,906 04-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Last Post: capricorn
  Question burning from pain patches Bummer Knees 12 7,642 03-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  ALERT! I owe you.. Spring 9 3,833 03-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Fentanyl Patches Recalled UndercovrAngel 8 5,068 02-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Last Post: capricorn
  news release-scam alert CRABBY 5 2,861 01-05-2008, 01:51 AM