Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
repetitive motion injury - question
Sad 
a friend of mine had a cyst recently appear on her wrist. the doctor says its from repetitive stress on her wrist (shes a carpenter). does anyone know how workmans comp works with an injury like this? she is working in new jersey. she has been at this job for 5 or 6 weeks. she wasnt doing this type of work immediately before this. and the cyst seemed to appear rather quickly, with really noticing the size and pain two days ago. she then went to the doctor who said it was probably a cyst from repeated stress on the wrist (gymnasts get them a lot). he said it should be surgically removed. and the recovery for this surgery is six weeks.

i just dont know anything about if she would be even remotely covered. i dont know how work comp deals with repetitive motion, or stress injuries. if they do at all. and how that works if they do.

she has talked to people where she works and they said she probably wont be covered. but i just want to make sure she doesnt get screwed. so if anyone is familiar with this kinda of injury and work comp.....especially in nj. i would love any advice. we both work in theater, and work on a contract to contract basis, with quick freelance work in between. so....if she has to be out six weeks for recovery without being under a contract i dont know what we will do for money for her.

i guess the main concern is that because it is the kinda of injury usually sustained over time, and she has only been at her current job for 5 or 6 wks, they will say it was pre-existing.

i honestly dont know anything about work/comp. even though ive been injured a few times in the work place. i have just always had the luck of working for companies that make the who w/c portion of things easy. but ive also never had to be out for more than a few days at a time.

anyone with advice.....of any kind....i would be grateful.

How does anyone know that they are going to say it is pre-existing????? That is an issue of medical oppinion.

The world of wc. can be a difficult world to understand.

If your friend was injured on a jod, then I say, your friend should file a wc. claim. What will be lost if she files????? HHHHMMMM????

The main issue that I see at this time, is that of medical care. I am sorry to say that I am not familar with your state laws. WC. is different from state to state, however, some things are the same. Maybe, she should speak with an attorney. Most offer a free consultaion. Once angain, what is lost by contacting a few????

What will be lost if you
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

AQA Wrote:How does anyone know that they are going to say it is pre-existing????? That is an issue of medical oppinion.

The world of wc. can be a difficult world to understand.

If your friend was injured on a jod, then I say, your friend should file a wc. claim. What will be lost if she files????? HHHHMMMM????

The main issue that I see at this time, is that of medical care. I am sorry to say that I am not familar with your state laws. WC. is different from state to state, however, some things are the same. Maybe, she should speak with an attorney. Most offer a free consultaion. Once angain, what is lost by contacting a few????

What will be lost if you

this is going to sound dumb, but everytime i have been injured on the job i filled out an accident report (or my supervisor did) and then i dont know who did the wc claim. does the company have to do it? or can the individual employee do it themselves?

welcome to your new home with lots of friends and advice.as AQA said go head and file a wc cail it cant hurt,as far as saying it was pre-existing your body wears from the day ur born to the day you die and these type of injuries can happen at any time.the point is that it happend at work so file the claim weather people say i dont think they will cover it.that in it self is hard to say or they just dont want her to file a claim and were just saying that so she didnt.talking to a lawyer wont hurt and know one will know but her and you,she doesnt have to tell ur employer that she talked to a lawyer.do whats best you and ur well being thats the most important thing getting better and pain free.i wish you the best.
Each day is not a rite,it's a given.

What to do if you are injured:
"You should notify your employer as soon as possible. The notice may be given to your supervisor, personnel office, or anyone in authority at your place of business. Notice does not have to be in writing. If you need medical treatment, a request should be made to your employer as soon as possible. Under the NJ workers' compensation law, the employer and/or their insurance carrier can select the physician(s) to treat injured workers for work related injuries."
see their website for more information:
http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/wc/work...index.html
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

hurt at work Wrote:the point is that it happend at work so file the claim weather people say i dont think they will cover it.that in it self is hard to say or they just dont want her to file a claim and were just saying that so she didnt.

im pretty sure thats whats going on. i cant know for sure, but im pretty sure they dont want her to file a claim. the company shes working for is pretty much a big ol mess administratively right now. they have employees who havent received pay for work they did last winter. and all sorts of fun stuff. so.....theyre a little shady.

thanks for the advice.

When I got injured, the company I was working for filed first. I was then sent paperwork to confirm everything. I know in my state, the injured worker can file first. Either way the state or the IC is going to check with the other party to confirm the injury.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

have her report it directly to the carrier.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cervical spine injury question Bummer Knees 44 45,685 11-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Last Post: bugmann
Question Extent of Injury question salvador5266 1 2,333 03-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Quick question about Lumbar injury, rating, and state disability Frayed 17 27,513 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Frayed
  CA: Motion to Compel to see a QME/AME alagada1 6 5,974 12-02-2012, 01:20 AM
  previous injury question Utah jjortiz214 1 2,453 11-25-2012, 10:39 PM
  Motion's filed maxxer2012 1 1,932 10-19-2012, 01:50 AM
  question on old injury txlopes 2 2,857 10-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Last Post: txlopes
  Work injury and restrictions question. tarabeth 7 28,761 09-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Last Post: gba2011
  Question about my injury Samsmom 4 8,870 04-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Last Post: bronco54501
Question Carpal Tunnel/Repetitive Stress Syndrome in TN-Workers Comp Issue Tizz 122 181,770 05-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Last Post: sparkey