Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back Fusion
My husband is crippled with pain. Been on pain Mgmt 3 years this summer. He has neck surgery on C3 and C4 in Sept. with hardware put in. He is scheduled for back fusion L4 & L5 in 3 weeks. The surgery will be performed with an Ortho and Neuro. We know it is a huge risk, but curious if anyone else has had the surgery. Just curious what to expect. He has DDD in the low back and Stenosis in the neck. Thank you all.
Always believe in yourself. No matter how much some people will make you doubt yourself.

I have had 2 lumbar fusions, so I can give you an idea of what it might be like. First off, the recovery is long and can be slow. It takes between 8-12 weeks, for many people to be able to go back to work, and even then it is often p/t and with restrictions. You will not be able to bend, twist or lift more than 5-10 lbs. until your Dr. see the fusion beginning. That is usually about 3 months. Your husband will likly see the surgeon(s) for a follow up at 2wks, 6wks, 12 wks, 6 mo. and at 1 year.

I was told that on day 2 or 3, you may wonder what you got yourself into, but the pain does start to ease up after that 1st week. The best thing that he will be able to do for himself, is to walk 2-3 times ea. day, even if it is from the bed to another room and back etc. The walking moves the blood and oxygen around the injured area and the oxygen helps to heal faster.

Let me know if you have specific questions for me.

welcome,i also have had spinal fusion S-1-L-4,L-3 is in very bad shape and perminant nerve damage at S-1 and L-3-4.like lfoster said he needs to walk as soon as he can and as much as he can take it will help keep things loose and helps the muscles restretch.they will cut alot of muscle tissue.it will hurt but hang in there it will get better.good luck and walk walk walk.
Each day is not a rite,it's a given.

Thank you for the response.
Always believe in yourself. No matter how much some people will make you doubt yourself.

Good luck & many prayers for hubby in surgery mistreated. i hope it has wonderous outcome! LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  lumber back fusion mpenny 1 2,011 10-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  sciatica after fusion, dr. rushing me back to work jstadfrntpn 14 12,978 07-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  Update on back fusion genegene 12 5,090 11-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Last Post: genegene