Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IC wants to send nurse w/me to next Dr Appt.
Hello! Bit of background..Broke my fibula/open dislocated ankle in Feb. Have 2 pins in. Been able to bear weight with a walking/air cast for 3 weeks, return to Doc on June 5th. Am hoping to be allowed to drive and return to work in some capacity(If they have anything for me, I was working for a Temp Agency!). Have been having big problems with swelling, (thanks to all for help with that!) I was told that swelling would "improve" once I was able to bear weight, it is worse. I also have new type of pain, in area of my wound where the bone tore through skin, feels like a knife is stuck in the side of my heel! Am worried about soft tissue injuries that were not repaired completely when they fixed the bones. Also have burning and numbness, severity comes and goes, but always there. Could go on and on. lol!

Anyway, the IC nurse called this am to let me know they approved a new script and to "see how I was doing". I told her all my concerns, how the skin on my foot at night feels like it's going to pop and I can't sleep, etc. etc. She asked if okay if an "independent nurse advisor" (independent!! ROFLAO!) came with me to my Doc. appointment next week. Of course I said yes. My question is, what should I expect? What should I be careful of? I want to return to work, ASAP, can't afford to be out any longer, especially since winter is over and my utilities are no longer protected etc. But I also have come this far, and if returning to work will cause more problems, I will wait a few more weeks. Am afraid that they are just going to be gunning for my treatment to be over and for me to return to work whether I am ready or not.

Any insight, opinions, what have you would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I see that quite a few are about to have surgeries, my thoughts and best wishes go out to you!

Fairycatz

I don't know what state you are in, but in PA you don't have to allow those IC nurses attend your doctor appointments, and I think it is a good idea to tell them to get lost. They will not help you. All they will do is try to manipulate the doctor into releasing you sooner then he would otherwise.

Sounds like you want to return to work. It sounds like you welcome the Nurse. You ask the Nurse to appear early and ask them questions.

Have the Nurse sign a paper that they will give and or send you every single report they make and send to the Insurance Carrier and their Attorney. Including any comments taken during Doctor visits.

Some States allow you the right to be exammed first by the doctor, then the Nurse goes in and talks with the doctor when your done, request that you be present in any way you coose to perform that.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

you remember that naughty little tattle tale creep in the 3rd grade? she is now a nurse case manager.....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

LOL Jayne. Why is it you always beat me to it??? My gosh i hope you do not get the rotten nurse that I had that went with me to every appointment. She would always try to beat me there and always acted like we were best friends going to the doctors. I would make sure that I sat a few seats away as I did not want her asking how I was doing etc.

She was very pushy and always gave me her opinion of what was wrong with me. Always pushed the doctor into sending me to work in pain etc. Whatever you do, do not tell her your personal life, or even let her near your home. She will ask that you sign a paper so that she can get your medical records also. I wish you the best, and when you are back to work she will be gone like the wicked witch in the wizard of oz.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Hello fairycat,

I would be VERY leery allowing the nurse to accompany me during the appmnt.
As Timothy Belt (a WC lawyer) stated above, they are manipulators, and are not there for your well being.
Take care & good luck, LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

"independent nurse advisor" I saw you banish her to outter darkness!!!

I ahve had a NCM assigned to my case, for the past 6 months or so. In Va, you are allowed to have them come in with you or you can go in 1st and then have the case worker come in later. That is the best, becasue it gives you a chance to talk with your Dr. ahead of time and find out what he is going to say etc. I have found that my Drs. prefer them to come in with you, only because they feel it is a waste of their time having to basically have a 2nd appnt. with the NCM...however, they have to allow it to happen this way, if the patient prefers it. It also kind of helps that the Dr. gets irritated with having to wait for the NCM to come in...it makes their time together short and choppyWink. Either way, make sure that you are in the room with the NCM. (Although, in VA, the NCM can go back and talk to your Dr. any time they want to, without telling you about it).

Also, when I want to discuss something with my Dr. and don't want the NCM to know about it, I send/fax a letter with my questions and ask that the Dr. either call me or send me the answers to ea. question. Whe the NCM asks for the appnt. notes, they only get the report of what happened in the exam room. They won't get copies of notes between you and the Dr. However, if I ask him the specific questions at the appt., well then that goes into the notes that the i/c will get.

They will make it sound like they are your best friend and they are there to assist you in getting help that you have not been getting. I am always pleasant, but I never "chit chat" with her, in the waiting room. She will casually slip in a simple question, like, "how was your weekend?" Believe me, they can take a simple answer to that question and come up with all kinds of things that can hurt you in the future. All you need to say is something like, "it was nice, the kids came over and took me to dinner last night." They now know that you are able to get out, sit at a table, & that your social life is not hurt etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks to all! You pretty much stated what I already knew.... Evil lurks in the heart of Independent (gotta love that!) Nurse Advisors!! The Nurse that is my Case Nurse, (whatever that means!) is very friendly, and I have assumed right from get go that as soon as it got close to release time things would change!! I live in CT, but worked in MA, so go by MA rules, am gonna check them out, thankx for info Tim. (Do you do 3rd party liability in MA? This reply is more info than I have heard from my attorney for that! lol!) WIll

Somehow sentthe above before I meant to! Will follow everyones advice and keep my mouth shut and you posted. Thanks again, and ya'all have a great weekend.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cannot send private messages California_Help 1 182 03-24-2019, 05:12 PM
Last Post: 1171
Question First Drs. Appt! How to prep? kp121 4 589 10-05-2018, 11:20 AM
  LEGALLY How long the Work compensation Insurance has to send changed doctor APPOINTME ngb_girl@yahoo.com 6 1,512 05-25-2018, 10:48 AM
  Nurse case manager jdx4 24 30,125 03-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Which doctor can send me back to work-Kansas no1nurse2 4 2,567 11-15-2016, 01:04 PM
  MPN APPT.? FUTURE MED CA. beaverc 2 1,852 07-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  NY - Who Do I Send Stuff To?? tbear6410 7 2,401 06-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
  MMI Appt for Rating bluewolph13 8 6,228 08-28-2014, 11:31 AM
  Hospice nurse new to this process happybalance 9 7,833 12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Can my attorney send out a offer to ic Speedyro1970 13 8,221 11-30-2012, 12:31 AM